I saw this article that was written after an interview with a Rim official. Confirms 4G release early 2012.
    Questions Answered About BBX, PlayBook 4G and Native PIM Applications | BlackBerry Cool

For those who dont want to follow the link:

Developer Evangelism: A Few Notes for Samsung and...Questions Answered About BBX, PlayBook 4G and Native PIM Applications
    Posted by Kyle McInneson November 30, 2011, at 1:12 PMin Editorials, News, Spotlight and Top-Story.
    Tags: bbx, calendar, contacts, email, native apps, PIM, playbook, tablet.
    Comments: 3 responses
    3 Comments
    Not too long ago we posted some screenshots of the native PIM applications on PlayBook and there was an incredible response. Many people wanted to know more about these apps and the infrastructure behind it. We�ve compiled a list of questions and answers that should shed some more light on these PIM apps, how they integrate with RIM�s infrastructure as well as some upcoming features of PlayBook OS 2.0. There�s also some interesting notes on the PlayBook 4G release and more. Needless to say, we�re very excited for this to finally launch.

Here is a transcript of some of the questions from the event where we learned about the PIM apps on PlayBook.

Q: If the BES server sits behind the firewall, and you�re concerned about security, are the two email accounts (the personal and the corporate) still separate? In the sense that if I want to send myself a note to my personal account it still goes through the Exchange Server outside the firewall, right?

A: Yeah, so the question was about security within the multiple emails. With this setup, if I send a message from my corporate account to my personal, is it still going back behind the firewall? Absolutely. The infrastructure is the exact same and we�re not doing anything to compromise security. When we get into the BlackBerry Balance portion of the presentation, we�ll talk about resonant data on the device how that is segmented off and protected. Even locally on the device you can�t copy and paste things from one perimeter into another. In that sense, yes, it would go back through the infrastructure, to your Exchange Server, and then follow the guidelines that you have set within your organization.

Q: What do you do about S/MIME?

A: S/MIME on the first iteration of the 2.0 software will not be available initially but will available shortly after.

Q: Will PlayBook 2.0 have the ability to color code the messages?

A: So the question is about setting a border color to denote whether it�s corporate or personal. I have not seen that on the PlayBook but granted I�m not on the final build. We�ll have to get back to that.

Q: Can you edit and spell check on the native email app?

A: Yes, absolutely. The logic we have on the BlackBerry in terms of type ahead and word prediction is all in the 2.0 code. You will have the spell check capabilities.

Q: How fast do the native PIM apps sync with your BlackBerry? Is there a delay?

A: It�s all relatively the same time. I haven�t noticed any delay on messages getting delivered to the PlayBook versus my BlackBerry. Most of the time it�s device, then shortly after PlayBook.

Followup Q: And it�s all the same Push infrastructure?

A: Yes. The infrastructure is essentially the same. The way it works on your BlackBerry is essentially the same as it works on your PlayBook. So the same secure, push channel that you�re accustomed to on your BlackBerry.

Q: Any difference in the ressource requirements on the server side?

A: We�re actually doing those tests now. One of the things that we�re improving is that today on BES you have a 2,000 user limit, with the new infrastructure we�re actually increasing that to several thousand more. We�re reducing the size of your infrastructure including unnecessary load and resources. While I don�t have final numbers on load balancing, the numbers that are coming in are next to nothing. So the normal 1 to 1 correlation to what you have.

Q: What about PIN messaging? As in PIN-to-PIN messaging. We didn�t see that.

A: Yes, and I won�t show you. I don�t believe PIN-to-PIN messaging is in the first iteration but I�ll have to check.

Q: What about Bridge?

A: In version 2.0 there are improvements to the speed of Bridge. There�s not many UI changes, just mostly improvement and small functionality. We�re not abandoning Bridge. While the 2.0 will have performance improvements there will be some updates down the road.

Q: Version 2.0 won�t have cellular connectivity?

A: So 2.0 is just software. The cellular devices or the �4G PlayBooks� will be available roughly around the 2.0 software release. The 2.0 software is designed to run on your current, WiFi only PlayBooks, but we will have 4G PlayBooks around the same time as that 2.0 software.

Q: In many government organizations we don�t have WiFi access. Everything is land based. So I rely on the Bridge for my functionality and we love the video chat but the problem is we can�t use it. Is there a way for us to get access to more of those apps through Bridge?

A: We�ve seen that already. The last update to Bridge allows some applications to use the connection to get out to the Internet. We�re going to of course increase the functionality of core apps to utilize Bridge.

Q: Is the PlayBook 4G being delayed?

A: We have been in testing for several months on 4G devices and on multiple carriers. Several groups are actively testing them and I have not heard of any delays. As of today (November 22nd), I have not heard anything that would put us off schedule from our early 2012 release.

Q: Will the PlayBook come in other sizes?

A: Of course we�re obviously investigating sizes and what makes sense for a larger screen. So yes, I don�t know the exact size and I can�t show you anything, but we�re looking at other sizes.

Q: Does the 4G capability imply voice functionality?

A: Not at first, besides the video chat. There is no ability to make a call from PlayBook to landline call. That�s not the final answer though. Initial release will be strictly data and video chat. There are also third party apps that will let you make a call from PlayBook to landline but not from RIM.

Q: Current video chat � can it be extended from PlayBook to something else?

A: We have teams that are working right now to make it an endpoint to a corporate video chat solution. So we�re in discussions about how that�s going to work. There�s definitely a roadmap for video chat that lets it do more than just device to device.

Q: What about segregating the Address Book by corporate and personal?

A: From a group perspective? The contacts are in one general list and there�s no way to see if they�re a personal or business contact. The device will know based on the service it�s pulling from. Any new contact will be corporate by default (I believe).

Q: What about synchronizing multiple Address Books into one?

A: I have not tried it so I can�t give you a definite answer just yet. I imagine it would still just dump it as one Address Book but I�d have to verify.

Be sure to read our post with screenshots of the upcoming PlayBook PIM apps.
    12-01-11 01:52 PM
    thanks for posting, this is great!

good show

peace!
    12-01-11 02:27 PM
    Your welcome and i hope that several people see this its a positive exciting development. Let drop the negative!
    12-01-11 02:31 PM
    i wonder if the 4g radio playbooks will have the same components (specs) as the wifi only??
    or will it be like a "playbook2" with new internals?

hmmm
    12-01-11 02:35 PM
    Your welcome and i hope that several people see this its a positive exciting development. Let drop the negative!
    absolutely, i personally have decided to be a positive force here in the crackberry forums, it is time for some light to be shined!

peace!
    12-01-11 02:37 PM
    i wonder if the 4g radio playbooks will have the same components (specs) as the wifi only??
    or will it be like a "playbook2" with new internals?

hmmm
    I would think different internals and shell - you need somewhere to stick a SIM in.
    12-01-11 02:43 PM
    Make me want to return my current PB and wait a few months for the new toy :-)

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com

12-01-11 02:55 PM
    this illegitimate i firmly believed there was a fire sale
    12-01-11 02:59 PM

IMO, I would keep my "old toy" handy just in case the "new toy" doesn't appeal to me or gets delayed. I wont even consider a model that works with the cell phone towers : bridge works fine and if worst comes to worst I can just pay t-mobile $9.99 a month for mobile hotspot on any capable phone

In short: I prefer to keep the bird that I have in my hand instead of chasing (or waiting on) the 2 birds that "might" be flying around me. Birds aren't easy to catch
    Last edited by Abrante; 12-01-11 at 03:07 PM.
    12-01-11 03:04 PM
    this illegitimate i firmly believed there was a fire sale
    The Kindle Fire is for sale. You just needed to add a few more words to your sentence to get it right
    12-01-11 03:09 PM
    Hmm, I wonder if there will be a "trade up" program from RIM when the 4G version comes out.
    marksasongko likes this.
    I like your comment :-)
    I'll keep the current bird.

Looks like the "failbook" is turning into a successbook! Good news for non BB phone users.. except for the extra data plan I guess..but they had their chance.
    12-01-11 03:23 PM
    I prefer the WiFi only dont need another Cell bill I like the fact that they are still looking at different sizes. It just seems that RIM sees a bright future for the Playbook. 4G is a great advancement and will do well if the carriers are behind it. I was a bit suprized to hear that they have been out being tested with carriers. That could generate good sales for PB as a stand alone tablet.
    12-01-11 03:39 PM
    It would be nice if carriers could offer prepaid data plans when the 4G comes out. I don't need a month to month plan--just occasionally when I travel. Most non-iPad tablets are treated as phones though, with activation fees and such. Annoying.
    12-01-11 03:48 PM
    I'm willing to bet there will be a bump in the RAM...
    FF22 likes this.
    12-01-11 03:50 PM
    I suppose a 4G PB would be great if you want a PB but don't want a BB phone, or, don't mind paying for the extra data plan to get web pages to load a little faster. As for me, I'll be keeping the one I have. The bridge works just fine for me. I do, however, think this is a good sign that RIM will remain committed to the PB.
    12-01-11 04:00 PM
    If this is true, I'd expect the Playbook 4G to be a GSM-enabled Playbook with HSPA+ capabilities. I don't think they could be expected to go LTE since this would limit them to Verizon in certain markets and, 3G fallover would have to be to a CDMA radio. If it is GSM, then it could be immediately available to a global market.
    12-01-11 04:04 PM

Yes, and then another 6 months for a current OS!
    12-01-11 05:02 PM
    If this is true, I'd expect the Playbook 4G to be a GSM-enabled Playbook with HSPA+ capabilities. I don't think they could be expected to go LTE since this would limit them to Verizon in certain markets and, 3G fallover would have to be to a CDMA radio. If it is GSM, then it could be immediately available to a global market.
    ....and limited to AT&T and possibly T-Mobil in the US. Best workaround would be to make it a true world tablet, both GSM & CDMA, and sell it unlocked with a SIM tray so that one can shop carriers and buy only the amount of time/data you need, when you need it. When travelling overseas, this is the normal for most cell phone users. Like the US, overseas carriers will subsidize the cost of a phone if you don't mind a 2 or 3 year contract. Carriers here could do the same if you can't afford the 4G outright, so buy it dirt cheap when you sign up for a new contract. Either way, it should be made available to all without restrictions, and let the buyer decide what he wants to do with it and when and how he wants to do it.
    12-01-11 05:05 PM
    Excellent point. Verizon does have a lot of customers though.
    12-01-11 05:12 PM
    I wouldn't be surprise a 4G PB will go for $499 and the wifi version will bump up to $349 with the new OS.
    If they come up with totally new hardware and a sexy design, then the price could be higher.
    It will be very difficult to price match IPAD at this time regardless as to how much better PB is/will be.
    Apple has a huge head start interms of developing their app store and the public perception of what a tablet is. "IPAD and the others"
    12-01-11 06:23 PM
    The smart move would be to get as many out as possible. Make a nice price. The big advantage I see with Kindle Fire is the potential income from the eco system amazon brings to the game. Maybe for RIM just getting people back to blackbery will be the payoff down the road.
    12-01-11 10:19 PM
    It's great that they have a 4G and perhaps a 10" tablet (Forest) in their tablet technology road map. It is really offering choices to the consumer. The big challenge for RIM is how to convince the consumer that the RIM product is better than the two biggest rivals.
    (IPAD and FIRE). Which sits on opposite end of the spectrum in terms of price and functionality (apps).
    They have to beat FIRE with increase functionality and hardware with a magrinally higher price point.
    They have to beat IPAD with increase functionality and hardware at a lower price point.

For the consumers who don't want a IPAD (due to cost) and do not want a FIRE (due to functionality) will turn to the "other" tablet which is Android. Rim will need to convince the consumer that the BBX OS is better than Android. (Running Android Apps in 2.0, better secure ecosystem etc)
    12-03-11 01:24 PM
    I just hope this means we can get the playbook to become more popular so people arent afraid to buy it and develop for it.
    12-03-11 04:40 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD