ok I lost my charger so I ordered a new one from a oem shop that almost looks identical and has the 5v and 1.8 a but i dont see the red light indicator anymore..should i return and look for the original.
    09-15-11 07:19 AM
    Which charger and what red light?
    09-15-11 07:45 AM
    If you're talking about the red LED on the PB itself, that only turns on while charging if the PB is completely shut off.
    Does the "thunderbolt" charging symbol come on the battery indicator on screen? If it does, I wouldn't worry about it.
    09-15-11 08:38 AM
    yeah im talking about the red,yellow and green lights that the pb itself would show while charging. the charger i ordered just says blackberry folding blade charger, no where does it say pb.

yeah but the bolt showed while charging and then the chord showed when charging was done.
    09-15-11 10:13 AM
    I think you should be fine. The red light is typically just from startup or when your PB is dead. The charger that originally came with my playbook was a 1.8, and it didn't have a retractable plug. As long as you don't have one below the 1.8 you should be fine. Anything less and you can actually watch your PB lose charge.
    09-15-11 10:28 AM
    Easy test: discharge the battery fully, then recharge it fully (until the lightning bolt indicator goes away, not just until you first see "100%"). Time how long it takes to charge. If it's in the 3-3.5h range, you're fine.

Even easier: install my app (Battery Guru) and check that when charging you are getting the correct power reading. For the standard charger it should show about 7.5W while charging with the battery below about 70%. (Above that the power falls off gradually, until it stops charging.)
    09-15-11 12:53 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD