Hi,

I'm a new blackberry user and have been using the Playbook quite happily with Wifi and when I am outside of Wifi, using it to connect to my Wifi hotspot from my Droid X.

This is great and all, but I'm missing the PIM functions.

I have access to a Torch (formerly on an ATT network) that has been decomissioned and sitting in a box. (I can borrow from a friend). I don't want to pay for a new data plan but would like to bridge to the Torch and use it for the PIM functionality.

The question is this, Can I activate the Torch to only use Wifi?

I know this is a huge kludge at the moment, but I'm really just doing research as whether I should consider a BB in the future. And to learn about the bridge functionality.
    06-03-11 11:36 AM
    Possibly?

So you'd use droid as hot spot for PB. Also have torch on with no sim but connect to wifi?

You don't even need to worry about that. It's connecting the torch to the PB via Bluetooth that is for bridge apps. I believe you could use calendar and such but the whole point of bridge browser is using the network without wifi so that would be pointless. I guess conecting the torch to wifi may be able to get calendar info on it?

Goodluck
    06-03-11 11:47 AM
    To use PIM functions you're going to need a BIS data plan (assuming you want BBM, push e-mail, calendar etc).

That's the upside to owning a BlackBerry smartphone alongside your PlayBook.
    06-03-11 12:15 PM
    Yea, so the PIM is only available for BIS accounts?

I have access to a BB Server that I can link the Torch to. However, I will not have a phone number since I don't want a data plan.

I guess my question is that can i use/activate a Torch only via wi-fi.

Thanks
    06-03-11 01:06 PM
    Yes Torch can go on wi-fi. My Torch is on wi-fi when I'm home. You can probably try getting your Torch to link into your Droid hot spot wi-fi.

But you would need a BIS plan to use the email, calendar etc. if you're out and about wanting to access that info via your PB.

You can use google for calendar and mail etc through your PB via internet...
    06-03-11 02:18 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD