This just popped up on ZD Net.

RIM's PlayBook: Pent up demand? | ZDNet
    03-18-11 12:45 PM
    For those who don't want to click.....

RIM's PlayBook: Pent up demand?

By Larry Dignan | March 18, 2011, 9:04am PDT

Research in Motion reports its fiscal fourth quarter results next week and analysts are largely focused on the launch of the PlayBook and sales expectations.

RIM’s earnings results will land next Thursday. The general view is that the quarter will be solid due to strong international sales. The standout across reports is the PlayBook and QNX—RIM’s latest operating system—handsets.

We’ll dive into the numbers next week, but the optimism about the PlayBook is the main topic today. Perhaps the biggest surprise is that RIM’s decision to make the PlayBook tether to the BlackBerry for email is being spun as a positive.

Jefferies analyst Peter Misek noted:

We expect the Playbook launch in April. We were optimistic about the Playbook but were still surprised at how positive the feedback has been from the channel and retailers regarding the product. Many view the tethering as a positive since it does not require a separate data plan, and enterprises see it an easy fit into their existing security and device management protocols.

If Misek’s take is right—the PlayBook is really a companion to an established enterprise base—RIM could have a hit. Keep in mind the tablet game right now is all about the enterprise. Companies like Hewlett-Packard, Dell and RIM are going to be more focused on business tablets instead of duking it out with Apple’s iPad 2 and a bunch of Android rivals.

CIBC analyst Todd Coupland was also generally upbeat about the PlayBook and acknowledged that RIM shares are trading based on expectations for the tablet. Coupland is expecting RIM to ship 1 million Playbooks in the May quarter.

Oppenheimer analyst Ittai Kidron said that the PlayBook was RIM’s biggest wild card. He cut his unit estimates for the PlayBook to 1.5 million for fiscal 2012 ending in February. Oddly enough, Kidron cited Motorola’s challenges with the Xoom as one reason to lower PlayBook estimates. I’d argue that Motorola’s troubles would help RIM.

In any case, all eyes are on RIM’s PlayBook.
    Technerd.McLeod likes this.
    03-18-11 12:57 PM
    Many view the tethering as a
    positive since it does not require a
    separate data plan,
    Oh I hope we can hold them to that!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-18-11 01:00 PM
    Oh I hope we can hold them to that!

Careful - Not requiring a separate data plan doesn't necessarily mean there won't be "tethering" charges on your existing plan.
    03-18-11 01:06 PM
    Careful - Not requiring a separate data plan doesn't necessarily mean there won't be "tethering" charges on your existing plan.
    it does if your with rogers
    03-18-11 01:24 PM
    When I saw the reports this morning that AT&T is cracking down on non registered Teherers it makes me think it is likely AT&T is going to require you drop your unlimited and pay more to bridge/tether to you Playbook.

AT&T cracks down on tethering cheaters | BGR

BOOO!!!!!
    03-18-11 01:31 PM
    I use TetherBridge on my Torch and don't believe AT&T has the capability to detect it (yet). I'm more frustrated by RIM's lack of information regarding Playbook tethering than I am by the lack of a release date. When it is released will be moot for me until I can learn whether or not I'm going to get hit with additional charges. I will not purchase a PB until this is clarified.
    03-18-11 01:41 PM
    When I saw the reports this morning that AT&T is cracking down on non registered Teherers it makes me think it is likely AT&T is going to require you drop your unlimited and pay more to bridge/tether to you Playbook.

AT&T cracks down on tethering cheaters | BGR

BOOO!!!!!
    I think they are cracking down on the users who are abusing tethering like usage > 10GB/month. Casual users should be OK I think.
    03-18-11 01:44 PM
    Yea I don't think they can really detect you, BUT when they see an obscene amount of data being used a month they CAN put 2 and 2 together, and send out a threat.

There is also language in most carrier's ToS prohibiting abuse of bandwidth, which they generally define as using more than 5GBs of data a month. Now carriers have not been enforcing that, BUT with the iphone, and fancy android phone's causing such a data crunch, things may change. Isn't Verizon saying they are going to start throttling people?
    03-18-11 01:50 PM
    I think they are cracking down on the users who are abusing tethering like usage > 10GB/month. Casual users should be OK I think.
    That's my understanding.

Those tethering their laptops and watching HD youtube videos or downloading ungodly amounts of music or large software probably gets snagged by the radar.

I am only conserned about AT&T or VzW finding a legal footing to sue those who write tethering apps. Don't know if they would have a leg to stand on but if you throw enough money at the legal system you get your way. The average Joe gets u-know-what'ed.

03-18-11 01:51 PM
    Engadget says as far as they know the note only went to iPhone users...

AT&T tells customers using unauthorized tethering methods to pay up or stop (update) -- Engadget

But moves like this and requiring Artix owners to go to a tethering plan to connect to the laptop doc (which is just screen and keyboard) makes me think they will charge bb users to tether to playbooks if they can.
    03-18-11 02:11 PM
    I'm happy I'm with Sprint.
    03-18-11 03:09 PM
    i dont think the bridge feature would cost anything.i remember in the earlies they said that it would be more of streaming content from from your bb phone through bluetooth.so more of maybe just a link to phone.if you plan to use the connection then maybe you can use tether.dont tihnk RIM would make the Bridge app when pl releases when there are so many others in the appworld
    03-18-11 03:50 PM
    It's strange how these analysts completely contradict some of the "experts" around here and their dismal estimates... Who to believe...
    03-18-11 04:01 PM
    These the same analysts who predicted 4 million ipads in the first year? I think they did that in the first couple months!
    03-18-11 09:27 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD