Hey all,

Matt posted this on the DevBlog Yesterday. Sounds like BB10 Android Runtime will have the API for the Camera. This could be the missing link to great android apps running on the Playbook including.......Skype or any other video chat service you may use.

New BlackBerry Runtime for Android Apps features and APIs on BlackBerry 10 �BlackBerry Developer Blog

Transcript:

We�ve also heard many requests for additional features and APIs for the BlackBerry Runtime for Android Apps, and today I�m happy to share with you what some of those new features will be in BlackBerry 10.

A feature request we heard from both developer and end user alike was for multi-window support. Applications built for the BlackBerry Runtime for Android Apps will now launch in separate windows, allowing for multitasking and viewing just like regular native BlackBerry 10 apps!

Additionally, we have added API support for Camera and In-App Payments. With these additions, we now support even more potential Android apps and offer an additional way for developers to monetize their applications. In-App Payments will work with user�s existing BlackBerry� ID and be processed through BlackBerry App World.

These new features will be available in the BlackBerry 10 Runtime for Android Apps beta, and will be coming as an update to the BlackBerry� PlayBook� tablet later this summer. More Runtime for Android Apps features will be coming to BlackBerry 10, so stay tuned!
    bbfan1040, miroozy and Yankee495 like this.
    05-04-12 01:55 PM
    Wow, that's excellent news. I can't wait to see what other apps we'll be seeing.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9700 using Tapatalk
    05-04-12 01:59 PM
    I'm very happy about the multi-window support.

And yes, in-app payments open up a whole new class of apps as well. On the developer front, RIM is definitely on the right track.
    spike12, bbfan1040 and Yankee495 like this.
    05-04-12 02:03 PM
    Does Camera API means we are getting closer to porting the Android Skype app over? All they need now is the microphone...
    Yankee495 likes this.
    05-04-12 02:07 PM
    Hopefully the Android player will become a thing of the past once BB10 is up and running. The PB getting all of it's own native apps will make that happen.
    05-04-12 02:09 PM
    Does Camera API means we are getting closer to porting the Android Skype app over? All they need now is the microphone...
    I forgot about the Microphone. Maybe that will get done too? That sure would be nice.
    05-04-12 02:37 PM
    I believe that the microphone functions already exist. The Android version of Shazam works properly using the microphones.
    bbfan1040 likes this.
    05-04-12 03:15 PM
    oh boy we get this mini loophole fixed and I will be ecstatic, but I still want NATIVE. I find most android apps tend to feel ugly. How can anyone like that ui is beyond me.
    Marty_LK, fanatical and bbfan1040 like this.
    05-04-12 03:22 PM
    Hopefully the Android player will become a thing of the past once BB10 is up and running. The PB getting all of it's own native apps will make that happen.
    Marty I couldn't agree more...RIM needs to take the leadership role back instead of following. Its time the other platforms ask for BB apps.
    05-04-12 03:29 PM
    wonder why they didn't enable it in the first place...
    Last edited by sergeh; 05-04-12 at 06:09 PM.
    05-04-12 03:59 PM
    Camera api for Android is actually coming in 2.1 for playbook.
    05-04-12 04:10 PM
    Personally, I think an usable ported version of the Skype App is not viable because:

1. Fluidity, the Android Player by now is not too stable and I think we shouldn't conform with just a port, we need a native application with full functionality built in Playbook or BB10 native SDK and Cascades.

2. There's not only an Skype app because of the camera API, to work, Skype App needs to access VoIP API which is by now not supported by the Android-BlackBerry Runtime of the PlayBook and also not mentioned in this article.

3. If Skype or Microsoft wanted to support the PlayBook the would have already done that, I think after Skype acquisition Microsoft wants to put the cards on the table on the topics regarding Skype exclusivity on Windows Phone7 and future Apollo series also with current supported platforms.

After all, I feel kind of sad because I don't see Skype coming anytime soon but that empty space will be, because I'm sure it's going to be filled by plethora of other Video calling services such as ooVoo, Tango, Viber, whatever.

I also hope there's an update to the current support of only Android 2.3.3 apps to 4.0 in the runtime because with that, app could “fit” perfectly with the tablet support Android 4.0 offers.

I think Android ports are awesome because it's wonderful to have Appworld apps and thousands more.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9360 using Tapatalk
    05-04-12 04:49 PM
    u made my day..thanks man
    05-04-12 07:01 PM
    Guess we will have to wait and see.
    05-04-12 07:16 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD