So I'm enjoying the new ABC show Scandal and one of the lawyers is running round with a Playbook using the picture function to track down people. It shows how portable and easy it is to use the Playbook for routine business task. It would have been nice if they showed the logo. But the unique design of the Playbook power button and sound rocker is unmistakable.
    04-13-12 01:52 AM
    I don't think they would show the iPad logo either....You just KNOW it's an iPad.
    04-13-12 06:43 AM
    I remember getting excited when I saw the team on stargate sg-1 using Tapwave Zodiacs on the show. These were cool palm os devices with double sd card slots, joystick, six game buttons, touch screen. It could play divx movies. You could get an sd card that added wifi. Tons of apps were available. It was the pinnacle of palm os devices. This was before the iPhone and iPod touch. Shortly after that Tapwave went out of business. Hope the playbook doesn't go the same way.
    04-13-12 07:17 AM
    And people that don't know are running out and buying iPads thinking that is what they seen.
    04-13-12 07:30 AM
    I remember getting excited when I saw the team on stargate sg-1 using Tapwave Zodiacs on the show. These were cool palm os devices with double sd card slots, joystick, six game buttons, touch screen. It could play divx movies. You could get an sd card that added wifi. Tons of apps were available. It was the pinnacle of palm os devices. This was before the iPhone and iPod touch. Shortly after that Tapwave went out of business. Hope the playbook doesn't go the same way.
    Big UPS for the Zodiac reference!

Mobile post via Tapatalk
    artie likes this.
    04-13-12 07:56 AM
    So I'm enjoying the new ABC show Scandal and one of the lawyers is running round with a Playbook using the picture function to track down people. It shows how portable and easy it is to use the Playbook for routine business task. It would have been nice if they showed the logo. But the unique design of the Playbook power button and sound rocker is unmistakable.
    Hey, it's only a prop! We know the real Playbook with its lack of apps wouldn't make it in Hollywood! If they wanted a real tablet they would bring in an iPad. Playbooks would be perfect for undercover spy missions since nobody would recognize them or be able to hack them.

(BTW, my response was tongue in cheek and not to be taken seriously). Sadly however, viewers except maybe the OP, will assume it is an iPad. Such is the power of advertising.
    04-13-12 11:19 AM
    Next week's episode features a huge fight between PB enthusiasts and PB critics. I heard 4-5 of the characters are going to be killed off in the struggle.
    kbz1960 likes this.
    04-13-12 11:28 AM
    I doubt people would confuse it with an iPad. If a person knows nothing about tablets, maybe they will, but if they have ever seen an iPad they will know it is not that (it is pretty distinctive after all).

I will say people may think it is an Android tablet because there are so many of them in all shapes and sizes.

Maybe BlackBerry should sponsor the show some and make sure they get the logo in a few shots and the lawyers repeatedly say "get the PlayBook" or "get the BlackBerry" a lot. Have scenes where they are talking and say "I took this picture of ______ coming out of ______ with the BlackBerry PlayBook".

Edit:
    BlackBerry, feel free to hire me for your Marketing Team!
    Last edited by BerryClever; 04-13-12 at 01:03 PM.
    04-13-12 01:00 PM
    Product placement happens all the time, ever notice how often Microsoft products are mentioned in shows like NCIS and Hawaii Five O?

If there's no agreement in place, then they'll go out of their way to block any logos or brands. No point is giving away free advertising.
    04-13-12 01:26 PM
    I had people come up to me taking pictures with my Playbook and ask me "is that an iPAD?? So the mistake can be made even in the flesh sadly. RIM needs to sponsor some of these shows so their stuff can be seen on screen. There are a number of shows that show the other fruit logo. The only PC gear I can recall ever seeing was Dell but it's been a long while for them too.
    04-13-12 02:58 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD