Well of course they will have portrait mode available at some point, but the important thing to catch from this is that 2.0 isnt ready... I safely say that portrait mide is a key feature and like 1.0 it wont be released until it it implemented. So... we must prepare ourselves once again for the dreaded "d" word (delay) from RIM. An OS missing a key feature like that may be an OS that cant possible be user-ready 30-45 days from now.

Something else I want to highlight around 17:00, regarding the android integration...

Q:"What about paid android apps?"

A:"Um....er.....uh... gotta ask..... not sure.... working with.... um......"
    Another positive thread being pissed on by you!! It will have portrait mode on release. Speaking with my ex's brother (who works at RIM) is using a newer build already that already has portrait working for email functionality, as well as a few other things
    01-16-12 11:07 AM
    Does anyone know how this video was recorded at 360p? That would be very useful for me as 480p is producing vids a little too large for me.
    01-16-12 11:07 AM
    Another positive thread being pissed on by you!! It will have portrait mode on release. Speaking with my ex's brother (who works at RIM) is using a newer build already that already has portrait working for email functionality, as well as a few other things
    I agree...and besides, I really don't see the need for some apps to have a portrait mode.
    It's a 7" screen. Why on earth would you flip to portrait mode to read email on a tablet this size? That said, I'm sure the people looking for something to worry/complain about will be appeased and the PB email will have portrait capability.

Just my $0.02
    01-16-12 11:19 AM
    I agree...and besides, I really don't see the need for some apps to have a portrait mode.
    It's a 7" screen. Why on earth would you flip to portrait mode to read email on a tablet this size? That said, I'm sure the people looking for something to worry/complain about will be appeased and the PB email will have portrait capability.

Just my $0.02
    ok i don't generally disagree with features and what not, but for people like me, I have fairly big hands but short fingers lol flipping it into portrait works so much better for typing. I generally do a lot of chatting on BBM on the playbook and it is so much easier comfort wise to type in portrait than it is in landscape.
    01-16-12 11:23 AM
    ^ I have 'normal' sized hands (whatever that means) and can thumb-type fine in both of the keyboard orientations the PB offers.
    I wasn't very clear in my post. The point I guess I was trying to make was, is this really a deal-breaker for some people. I mean, many have been using the PB for 9 months with out native email and now that they will have it they want to complain about it not having portrait mode because they haven't seen it (the yet to be released OS) in a demo video.
    Wait until its released and then if it doesn't have portrait email you have a valid complaint.
    After years on CB I suppose I'm just getting tired of all the complaining. Time for a break.
    DPSydBerry likes this.
    01-16-12 11:50 AM
    I certainly hope that they do not delay it any longer for any "missing" feature. I will admit my bias - I have rarely used Portrait mode. Sometimes reading recipes while in the kitchen and the occasional portrait oriented photo.

I would rather them pissing off some folks then all of us by more delays!
    01-16-12 12:07 PM
    Actually I somewhat made a statement you agreed with... it will have portrait mode on release. What im saying is that if portrait mode isnt ready yet, this OS may not be close enough for primetime to be released in 30 days from today.

Am I the only one that has noticed that nobody outside of rim (rim reps) have been allowed to hold a device with 2.0 and use it and video its use for reporting or blogging? Even cb Kevin's famous interviews with Jeff are shown with Kevin asking questions and the rep holding the tablet and demonstrating it. Historically when this is the case... the product is nowhere near ready.
    TBone4eva likes this.
    01-16-12 12:25 PM
    Will there be a possibility to develop and install new (third-party) keyboards do you think, same as like on Android?
    My guess would be no. I don't think RIM's ever allowed 3rd party keyboards..although it would be cool if they did.
    01-16-12 12:27 PM
    I also don't care much about portrait mode though I use it every once in a while. It somewhat improves my typing speed. All I was saying is that OS 2.0 may not be ready to be released yet and as it has bugs or functionality issues other than minor. I don't what bugs except the portrait m9de there are, but I really hope that they are working hard to fix them to make the February release possible. Let's keep our fingers crossed.
    01-16-12 12:40 PM
    sweet as f___!
    steppinghorse likes this.
    01-16-12 03:12 PM
    Out of all that, only the ability to run Android applications interests me.
    01-16-12 03:26 PM
    I also don't care much about portrait mode though I use it every once in a while. It somewhat improves my typing speed. All I was saying is that OS 2.0 may not be ready to be released yet and as it has bugs or functionality issues other than minor. I don't what bugs except the portrait m9de there are, but I really hope that they are working hard to fix them to make the February release possible. Let's keep our fingers crossed.
    I wouldn't call it a bug. If you listen to Jeff, in the video at ~3:00min, he seemed somewhat surprised when the email didn't rotate (as though it has for him in other builds) and says that portrait mode is not enabled in this particular OS2.0 build they are showcasing.
    I also wouldn't call missing features bugs especially for an OS that is in beta, not official or a feature not advertised as being available in the first place, although I agree it should rotate. It's just not a bug.
    01-16-12 03:38 PM
    I wouldn't call it a bug. If you listen to Jeff, in the video at ~3:00min, he seemed somewhat surprised when the email didn't rotate (as though it has for him in other builds) and says that portrait mode is not enabled in this particular OS2.0 build they are showcasing.
    I also wouldn't call missing features bugs especially for an OS that is in beta, not official or a feature not advertised as being available in the first place, although I agree it should rotate. It's just not a bug.
    Read the previous line. It is a functionality issue. I was referring to bugs in general.

Besides, Jeff might have never used it in portrait mode before and hence the surprise.
    Last edited by kennyliu; 01-16-12 at 04:51 PM.
    rutabox likes this.
    01-16-12 04:49 PM
63 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD