15 39.47%
  • Apple iPad 2 wifi+3G - $720 (64GB)

4 10.53%
  • the next Galaxy tab from Samsung

4 10.53%
  • wait for the Playbook 2 10inch

2 5.26%
Multiple Choice Poll.
    I just saw the price decrease in all Canadian electronics stores for the PB. $300 off all sizes (16, 32, and 64GB).

I asked a couple of co-workers which one I should get.

The Apple iPad2 owner/lover uses only half of her 32GB. (9 movies, 100 songs, three books, etc.)

My boss has none and told me not to get a PB. "Personally none. I think Playbook will become an expensive "serving trays" next year. I'd wait for next version of Galaxy from Samsung."

Now I am wondering if I should wait until Apple gets flash, Galaxy gets updated, or RIM comes out with a 10inch size (the size I think I want).

What should I do, faceless BB friends???
    prybarity likes this.
    11-18-11 10:40 AM
    Have you got a BB Smartphone? If not then get something else. Also if you certainly want a 10" device then don't bother with a 7" device Playbook or otherwise.....
    jamesbondOO7 likes this.
    11-18-11 10:46 AM
    Get new friends...

Get a 64g (I've seen prices of $200) and serve your boss some cookies next year on your serving tray 2.0. Show him what a fool he is for even voicing an opinion without even owning anything.

"Apple gets flash, Galaxy gets updated, or RIM comes out with a 10inch size"
    If you wait for any of this, you have a longggg wait.,

Apple iPad 2 wifi+3G - $720 (64GB) Wow. Then the data plan...
    Last edited by blackjack93117; 11-18-11 at 11:02 AM.
    JR A and BlueRocks like this.
    11-18-11 10:47 AM
    Apple won't ever get flash, because even Adobe is backing out.
    Exclusive: Adobe ceases development on mobile browser Flash, refocuses efforts on HTML5 (UPDATED) | ZDNet

If you are in it for the price, get the cheapest.
    Flash will be around on the internets for a long while yet.
    menaknow and KRol like this.
    11-18-11 11:03 AM
    The secret to device selection is this -- know thyself.

• Make a list of the things YOU would use such a device for. Break list into three parts: needs, wants, nice to haves.
    • Search all the forums, reviews, and app stores to determine which device maches your list.
    • Decide on preferred size, how to get data (such as bridging, tethering, 3g, wifi-only, etc.) and cost of doing so.
    • Factor in price and how much you're willing to pay.

Now you're in a position to make an informed decision you can live with.

NEVER buy a device based on someone else's opinion b/c your needs will surely be different.
    KRol likes this.
    11-18-11 11:09 AM
    if you are set on the 10 size there are already some great options out there. What is your current phone?
    11-18-11 11:16 AM
    It comes down to what you're going to use it for and how much you want to spend. If you're not too worried about price, then I would wait until the next generation of Tegra 3 Android tablets are released. Everything I've heard about Ice Cream Sandwich has been very positive, not to mention the Tegra 3 chips are supposed to be blazingly fast all while using less power. Lots of people are expecting Apple to release the iPad 3 soon with a new processor and better display, so I wouldn't go for the iPad 2 just yet. When the iPad 3 is released, the price of the iPad2 should drop substantially anyways. As for the Playbook, it's still up in the air whether or not OS 2.0 will be any good. Being a Playbook owner since launch has been very tough, and there have only been a few issues fixed with the Playbook since its release. There are still a huge number of bugs and missing functionality that will hopefully be remedied with 2.0, but given RIMs track record thus far I'm not holding my breath. So with the Playbook you're getting vastly less functionality than the iPad and Android offerings, but at such a lower price it's obviously a harder choice. I took a gamble with the Playbook and so far it has been a massive disappointment so it's hard for me to morally tell you to get one. In my opinion I would just have patience and wait for the Tegra 3 ICS tablets, I'm sure you will not be disappointed. Good luck
    11-18-11 12:22 PM
    If you have a BB smartphone, I strongly recommend the PB. Get the largest memory you can afford.
    If you want a 10 inch screen, buy a 10 inch screen.
    11-18-11 12:38 PM
    1- you can't serve anything on a 7inch tablet. You definitely need a 10inch tablet to serve desserts and beverages. It wouldn't be efficent to have to make so many trips back and forth to serve all your guests. At least on a 10 inch tablet you can serve sever espressos or perhaps 2 coffees and 2 small desserts

2- 199$ for a 16gig is a joke, I don't care what anyone says. If you just use it to surf the web, that alone is worth 200$ (to me anyway)

3- Coupled with a BB, you got internet anywhere your BB does. no additional costs

4- The price gap between the current discounted price of the PB and the Samsung and iPad 2 is ********. PB 16gb 199$ at bestbuy, ipad 2 16gb 619$.

5- If the PB isn't a serving tray now in its current form(with no native email, pim, calendar, etc), it's not gonna get worse by next year. So if you wanna buy it now for what it is then do it. 2.0 will eventually come.

6- don't tell me we won't be able to sell our PB in 6 months for a 100$? I see HP touchpads that were sold for 99$ firesale brand new being sold for 200$ used on kijiji.

7- when you're done with your pb and wanna move on, smash it against your bosses face. Added bonus of an inexpensive tablet.
    BlueRocks likes this.
    11-18-11 12:57 PM
    Why did 6 people recommend the 32 when the poll lists the 64 for $1 more?
    11-18-11 12:59 PM
    its 399 for the 64, its a typo in the poll i would guess
    11-18-11 01:04 PM
    Because they probably assume that's a typo.
    11-18-11 01:14 PM
    As others have said, if your main goal is internet surfing and email, the PB will be fine, especially if you have a BB and can use Bridge. As for memory, get the 64 GB if you can.

If you don't have a BB, then it becomes more nebulous. I have the iPad, but that's because I wanted the bigger screen and I am a sucker for all the apps. As well, I already had Apple TV (I was streaming Netflix and music), so the iPad works seamlessly with it to beam my screen and music. But to tell the truth, I would have thought seriously about the PB if the company I work for allowed downloading apps (i.e. Bridge) on our BB, which would have allowed me to use the PB with the BB. But as it stands now, using a PB without my BB was a no-go for me, the iPad just fit better at the moment.
    11-18-11 01:18 PM
    Sorry for the typo. It should be $399 for the 64GB.

I do own a Blackberry phone. I got the original trackball Bold the week after it came out. I had gone three years previously without a cell phone as I was disallusioned with their quality. The Bold hooked me.

I just upgraded it to the 9810 Torch. Had it for three months and I am addicted to it.

I do want the larger tablet for easier surfing, larger viewing size, and much more. If it works out as well as my phone then I will hardly be puting it down.

The biggest reason I am drawn to the PB as opposed to the others is the tethering which will save money and I do like the whole Blackberry experience, and recent incidents aside, trust RIM more than all the others to keep me and my data secure.

Thanks for your suggestions and opinions. I do like getting all options and ideas but will be making my own decision. Soon. The 'sale' lasts until Dec.1st but I can't see the price going back up afterwards.
    11-18-11 01:42 PM
    You love your 9810 Torch? Well that changes the story. If you love that you will be head over heels when you bridge to it. Quite frankly, Why would you consider any other tablet? If it's for size - you will quickly become annoyed when you can't find anyplace to conveniently put the thing when you are on the go.

There is a reason why paperbacks were invented and became popular.

Playbook slips into anything - even pockets.
    What's the point of portability if it's well.... not really portable? Ask that of your ipad friends....
    Last edited by blackjack93117; 11-18-11 at 02:13 PM.
    CracklePot likes this.
    11-18-11 02:01 PM
    Playbook is great and promo prices are even better. At $300 you just cannot go wrong with this device. Go for 64GB if money is not issue. Otherwise get 32GB.
    11-18-11 02:08 PM
    If I wanted to wait, and spend about $500, I'd wait for the Asus Transformer Prime. The move to quad-cores is the next step.

Having said that, you can't beat PB 16gb for $199 in terms of value for money, and you can get it right now.
    11-18-11 02:18 PM
    I just saw the price decrease in all Canadian electronics stores for the PB. $300 off all sizes (16, 32, and 64GB).
    Does anyone care that RIM is taking a huge loss for selling at these prices? Even the primary PC box makers are getting out of the tablet market and leaving it to the readers (Amazon, B&N) and Apple.

At least until the Microsoft tablets come out.
    11-18-11 02:27 PM
    Does anyone care that RIM is taking a huge loss for selling at these prices? Even the primary PC box makers are getting out of the tablet market and leaving it to the readers (Amazon, B&N) and Apple.

At least until the Microsoft tablets come out.
    To your point, Amazon is losing a buck or two on every unit sold, but has a vast array of books, music, movies, apps, etc that it can sell to make its money back, and has the advantage of having very good review. The PB, unfortunately, lacks in every item I have mentioned, including the good reviews. So the only option left is to drop the price severely and get this thing into people's homes. Even more unfortunate is that RIM still doesn't have a good story for the PB, I have no clue what kind of commercial they could have that would compete with the Fire at the moment.

Looking at what Amazon did to launch the Fire, I can't help think that the entire PB launch was a train wreck. The Fire, which is basically a low end PB, is projected to sell 3-5 million units before the end of the year. The PB has sold about 700k units so far, and will struggle to break 1 MM before year end. The only difference here is the way Amazon has packaged the tablet with their entire ecosystem: content is king. RIM should have definitely waited and built-up its content before launching the PB. Hopefully 2012 will bring better things.
    11-18-11 08:40 PM
    Thanks for all the comments.

I scoured the stores the night of the price drop and everyone was sold-out.
    The next morning I hit the inter-weebs and all the big electronic stores were sold-out there too.

I tried Walmart as a last resort and they still had some 64GBs left.

I now have it in my hands.

Expect the 'help wanted' posts to start shortly...
    Last edited by BlueRocks; 11-24-11 at 01:45 PM. Reason: spelling
    11-24-11 01:42 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD