In light of the server down issue experienced in the last few weeks does BlackBerry have to update the PB OS one more time to get rid of the mandatory software update check?

Reasons being:
    1. no wifi/LTE connectivity after wiping tablet
    2. radio on PB isn't functioning or is on the fritz
    3. if servers go down, PB owners are not helpless
    4. cut the ties between hardware and server so PB servers can eventually be retired
    01-31-14 04:29 PM
    I would like to see an update as well. But with all the resources going toward improving the BB10 devices I don't see one coming anytime soon.
    01-31-14 04:44 PM
    this seems like a huge break in the setup process to me...seems like a no-brainer fix if they ever want to officially retire the PB
    01-31-14 05:16 PM
    I want to bring this point back up now that PB has gotten it's last update. Has anyone wiped their PB since updating to .1917? I'm praying that they removed this mandatory step of checking the BB servers for software update before being able to set up the Playbook for the first time.

If they didn't do this then if they ever turn off the PB OS servers (maybe after end of April) then any PB will literally brick if wiped.
    04-02-14 07:50 PM
    Yikes, I never even thought of that! I haven't needed to do a security wipe since I've only had it a few weeks. Now if I ever need to, you make a good point...what if it never loads back up?

Posted via CB10
    04-02-14 08:54 PM
    This is what I hope BlackBerry fixed on this last update.

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by VR6; 04-03-14 at 09:42 AM.
    04-02-14 10:20 PM
    Can anyone PB owners confirm / deny this?

Posted via CB10
    04-03-14 12:05 PM
    Thats right. I've wiped my PB and have no apps left only browsers. sucks and I don't know what to do.
    04-03-14 03:08 PM
    Can anyone PB owners confirm / deny this?

Posted via CB10
    Yes, this version will not error out at the update screen. Instead it will just say no update is found and let you carry on.

Posted via CB10
    04-03-14 03:10 PM
    Thats right. I've wiped my PB and have no apps left only browsers. sucks and I don't know what to do.
    Check for an update in settings.
    04-03-14 04:00 PM
    Yes, this version will not error out at the update screen. Instead it will just say no update is found and let you carry on.
    Posted via CB10
    Thanks Dr.Evil, but is that because it connected to the Playbook servers and found no update or does it not care and can you skip this step? Huge difference in case BBRY turns off the server, you should be able to skip the update step instead of requiring to connect. Otherwise it will continue to look for a server that's not ever coming back, hence bricking the PB forever!
    04-03-14 05:26 PM
    Thanks Dr.Evil, but is that because it connected to the Playbook servers and found no update or does it not care and can you skip this step? Huge difference in case BBRY turns off the server, you should be able to skip the update step instead of requiring to connect. Otherwise it will continue to look for a server that's not ever coming back, hence bricking the PB forever!
    Long story short, I had access to a PlayBook with this OS at the time when the update servers were down. When it got to the check update screen, it performed the check, then stated there were no updates available and allowed me to proceed.

Posted via CB10
    04-04-14 06:50 AM
    I wiped my PlayBook, and I only have my browser and setup apps. I was able to do a little fix, that gave me most functionality, but it doesn't let me purchase new apps from BlackBerry World. Anyway, this is how I did it:

1) First, I downloaded an autoloader file ( I believe it came from here: https://mega.co.nz/#!FwMAhTqT!POgRPB...olDNpnm6qhncgE)

2) Extract, and navigate to the file folder that has all the signed BAR files.

3) Load up your favourite sideloading software, and install all bar files.

4) Enjoy!

Like I said, this is a bandaid fix, as the old bbw bar won't let you buy new apps, and you are technically running a new os with old bar files. If anyone can find/create an autoloader for the newest OS, that'll be even better. As it stands, though, you can at least restore most functionality to your pb.
    04-04-14 08:14 AM
    Long story short, I had access to a PlayBook with this OS at the time when the update servers were down. When it got to the check update screen, it performed the check, then stated there were no updates available and allowed me to proceed.

Posted via CB10
    Seems encouraging. Did you have a leaked version of the latest software because as I remember the servers were down weeks before .1917 was officially released.
    04-04-14 09:52 AM
    Seems encouraging. Did you have a leaked version of the latest software because as I remember the servers were down weeks before .1917 was officially released.
    It wasn't a leak. I don't even know if this version was ever leaked actually. I could be mistaken. A coworker's brother works at BlackBerry who took the PlayBook and tried loading different versions. The released version (at the time) errored out at the update screen even for him. This .1917 version was 'good for use' internally but not officially released.

So it was handed back to me with this version loaded (and freshly wiped) and I could use the PlayBook again. Went through the update screen without issue.
    04-04-14 10:09 AM
    If you do a wipe and end up with only a browser icon, you will have to do a debrick to get the stock apps back. I had that problem on my LTE and it would not connect to the PC to run an autoloader, but the debrick in BlackBerry desktop software worked.

Posted via CB10
    04-04-14 04:26 PM
    My bad.... .1831 was the version which bypasses server errors that I tested.

I would assume and hope this is still present in the current version.

Posted via CB10
    04-05-14 07:38 PM