I've read posts on doing a hard reset for the Playbook, pushing the power, +, and - buttons at the same time for 10-15 seconds. Either I'm not doing something right or I am and just don't realize it. I am on OS2.

Whenever I push the three buttons down this is what happens:
    1. The screen shot camera goes click.
    2. A second later the Restart, Stand By, Lock, and Turn Off buttons appear mid-screen.
    3. A couple seconds after that the screen goes black.

When I let up on the buttons, no matter how long I wait, nothing happens. I have to push the power button to turn it back on. Is that how a hard reset is suppose to work? If not, what are the sure fire steps to get it to work?

I am hoping it will resolve a problem I am having with my Playbook.
    03-22-12 06:03 PM
    By hard reset I think you mean de-brick. Power off your Playbook like you're doing, when it's off, connect it to your PC via USB. A pop up should appear saying your computer cannot connect to the Playbook. Then an update option should appear.

Take note: This will wipe all data and be like a factory reset, which sounds like what you want. So back up your data if required!
    03-22-12 06:09 PM
    ^^^^^^
    That's wrong. A hard reset is pressing the vol+, vol- and power buttons at the same time. I can't get it to work, personally. Mine just shuts down.
    03-22-12 06:12 PM
    My bad, you're right. I've never had the hard reset work either, I'm convinced it doesn't exist.
    03-22-12 06:18 PM
    After the hard reset, wait 1 minute. Then hold the power button down until the red light flashes on (should be about. 4 seconds) release the button and let the PB boot up. Be patient!
    03-22-12 06:22 PM
    Just hold the power button for 10s, and the device will hard power off. This is akin to the battery pull. Not sure what the vol + and - buttons are for (other than changing the volume).
    03-22-12 06:25 PM
    sounds like you are doing it right.. mine usually restarts automatically.

try pushing down on the power button for a second or two at first and then both the volumes, that usually works for me
    03-22-12 06:34 PM
    Well, you have to consider it will turn off depending on how much crap you have installed, the more the slower. All you do is hold down the power button until the screen light goes off after it says playbook turning off
    You might want to do this in a dark place, so you can see when the light shuts off
    Then, give it a few seconds and turn it on.
    03-22-12 06:35 PM
    Alittle trick I've found is I just hold -volume and power button. Hold em until you see turning off PB. I found this by accedent. What I was doing was holding -volume then power then +volume so I wouldn't take a screen shot.
    03-22-12 06:41 PM
    To the non-believers (princepia)
    The hard reset does exist, it is not just some cruel prank concocted by email RIM's dungeon masters. I have used it when my pb shut off due to low battery. When this happened, I could not power it on (unless you consider a flashing red LED 'on') or off. I then did a hard reset (hold +,- and the power button for about 10 seconds) and it let me power on.

Oh btw, I believe the +/- buttons are make it harder to accidentally do a hard reset.
    03-22-12 08:57 PM
    I finally got around to posting a short article I'd written which is relevant to this, describing the special button presses to force power off or do a "hard" reset.

It's now in the Tips and Tricks thread here: http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...ml#post7259975
    rotorwrench likes this.
    03-22-12 09:44 PM
    Like Peter said, check the Tips and Tricks sticky. You'll know you are successful when the PB re-starts itself.
    03-23-12 09:49 AM
    how do i reset my locked blackberry play book ??
    04-09-13 01:40 PM
    Enough, enough boys, please please let's not continue this insanity. I have read, tried, cried, thrown, stamped and had just about every experience a human being can endure listening to bull**** about this subject. Apart from a very expensive bill from a therapist and the man that stocks my cellar, the only thing I have achieved after two years is 201459 screen shots of my pb, which I already know looks like!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! This in my world is as bad as, "Oh bb10 is coming a week on Thursday ".
    04-09-13 01:55 PM
    how do i reset my locked blackberry play book ??
    To fix an issue, try these in order:

Restart using the Battery Icon and press Restart

Press and hold the Power button for 10-15 seconds. Then leave it for 20-30 seconds and see if it restarts.

To REBOOT:
    Press and HOLD all three keys for about 10 - 20 seconds: PowerOn, VolUp and VolDown. Start with the PowerButton. Keep holding past the 3-choice options screen. If you hear a shutter type sound, you've taken a Screen Shot and probably missed the PowerButton.
    04-09-13 03:40 PM
    Enough, enough boys, please please let's not continue this insanity. I have read, tried, cried, thrown, stamped and had just about every experience a human being can endure listening to bull**** about this subject. Apart from a very expensive bill from a therapist and the man that stocks my cellar, the only thing I have achieved after two years is 201459 screen shots of my pb, which I already know looks like!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! This in my world is as bad as, "Oh bb10 is coming a week on Thursday ".
    Have you considered a personal reboot - Press and hold all at the same time - both eyes, tip of nose and both ears. You can skip both ears if you put sticks ala Wongsky.
    04-09-13 03:41 PM
    To REBOOT:
    Press and HOLD all three keys for about 10 - 20 seconds: PowerOn, VolUp and VolDown. Start with the PowerButton. Keep holding past the 3-choice options screen.

Erm...... And oh yes, there is my 201460th photo of my screen. Wonder why I'm not surprised?
    I will though in the true tradition of the bb10 update expectation committee, continue relentlessly pressing this combination of buttons. I will either succeed in filling all available pb memory with screen shots, or turn water into wine. On a side note boys, I'm now taking orders for cheap wine. Please specify preferences as to red or white.
    04-09-13 04:16 PM
    o REBOOT:
    Press and HOLD all three keys for about 10 - 20 seconds: PowerOn, VolUp and VolDown. Start with the PowerButton. Keep holding past the 3-choice options screen.

Erm...... And oh yes, there is my 201460th photo of my screen. Wonder why I'm not surprised?
    I will though in the true tradition of the bb10 update expectation committee, continue relentlessly pressing this combination of buttons. I will either succeed in filling all available pb memory with screen shots, or turn water into wine. On a side note boys, I'm now taking orders for cheap wine. Please specify preferences as to red or white.
    Interesting. I can turn wine into yellow snow!
    kbz1960 likes this.
    04-09-13 05:18 PM
    201461 screen shots of my pb!
    04-10-13 08:12 AM
    201461 screen shots of my pb!
    Maybe you should start drinking some of those shots.
    04-10-13 09:17 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD