Sorry if this is an obvious question, but i can't seem to wrap my head around it...

When the PB finally gets native email and calendar, how will all the data stay synced with the blackberry, especially for BIS users?
    09-23-11 11:04 PM
    That is a good point. Basically, you will have another 'copy' of your data stored on the PB. This is why the bridge is brilliant as it just a window to your data on the BlackBerry.
    09-23-11 11:14 PM
    As one notices the person next to me: iPad+BB9900 with differing sets of emails on on each machine but all on the same account let alone useless calendars one does wonder about their thought processes. Me BB9900+Playbook+Exchange all synced all the time..
    Last edited by lesarmitage; 09-23-11 at 11:26 PM.
    09-23-11 11:23 PM
    As one notices the person next to me: iPad+BB9900 with differing sets of emails on on each machine but all on the same account let alone useless calendars one does wonder about their thought processes. Me BB9900+Playbook+Exchange all synced all the time..
    you nailed it! Unfortunately, when rim launches email, trolls and media will jump all over rim for any little case of sync issues...ignoring the obvious gap with iphone, ipad you have stated

I may not win over many users to the PB...but I have laughed watching friends sorting messes on blackberry, exchange, ipads thinking they have a great tool.

Not to mention need to rdp to access attachments and network which bes serves up just fine

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-24-11 12:13 AM
    It is tricky and I can see why it is taking Rim time. For example with gmail your email database and pim information is kept on the server. IMAP allows for many clients such as a bb, outlook or webmail, to connect to and make changes. If the playbook and Rim only used IMAP and pull delivery then native email on the pb will not be different then if you were to use webmail at work, outlook on your home computer, and a iphone when mobile. You are simply adding a new client. When any of the clients connect the client polls the server copy for any changes and then syncs. This is what is called a pull sync. Apple for instance uses pull syncing where the client looks for changes.

A bb server, bes or bis, is a bit different as the bb server acts as the liaison between the email databases and the bb. Any changes to mail on a client is sent to the bb server and the bb server propagates out the changes to the other clients. This is why it is called a push, and it is why email, calendar and address book changes sync instantly. I am sure that the playbook will take advantage of the push that rim is famous for.

This is a very good reason why native email and pim apps are taking a long time. Rim does not simply have to make a 'polling' app like apple. Rim has to make a client that receives changes from the bb server as well as sends out changes to the bb server. On top of that all bb severs are currently made to keep one mobile device in sync per user. It is well known that you can not have the same email account on two bb. Due to this Rim aslo has to work on the server software so the bb server can manage two devices and the server based email. The server software updates also have to be rolled out to bis and bes servers.

This is why the native email and pim for the playbook is taking time. It is alot more complicated then the compeditors 'pull' technology they are using.
    Last edited by pinkert11; 09-24-11 at 12:25 AM.
    sf49ers and salexs11 like this.
    09-24-11 12:20 AM
    My wish: Native storage, sync with Gmail over wifi, when no wifi available, sync via bluetooth, data connection or data off the BB phone. Something like a Bridge and Native hybrid. But we'll see...
    09-24-11 01:03 AM
    one of the things that gets mentioned occasionally is "blackberry balance" whereby your playbook will have 2 profiles basically, one for your personal stuff (current) and a separate one for your BES connection. The idea seems to be that you'll be able to switch between them but no data transfer can take place between the 2, to keep BES admins happy.

Sounds like a good idea in theory, but will have to see how its implemented
    09-24-11 01:19 AM
    dunno about bes, but wouldn't just allowing you to add an additional playbook pin (as well as phone) into your bis account work?

dadymon likes this.
    09-24-11 01:57 AM
    dunno about bes, but wouldn't just allowing you to add an additional playbook pin (as well as phone) into your bis account work?

It's not like there is a checkbox for Allow or Don't Allow.
    09-24-11 02:40 AM
    NOW people start thinking about htis...
    exactly why I never wanted it in the first place. _ I ditched Outlook as a native PIM long ago because of confusing sync issues. Laptop not synced with desktop - which one is up to date which one isn't - I am at work now my native PIM is at home - is it synced with my phone ... I upgraded my machine, got a new laptop, I have to sync Outlook omg I have a headache...

Since I got my Bold 9700 - I just keep it all in one place. my pocket! Always on one machine, Always with me, no sync issues. Email gets pushed to it, and I can use a browser from any other machine. With Bridge, nothing has to change.
    Last edited by blackjack93117; 09-24-11 at 02:50 AM.
    09-24-11 02:47 AM
    For the past few weeks I have been using a HTC Flyer WiFi Tablet. Its email client uses active sync.

I had been wondering how activesync would compare to BB email through BES.

So, when at my desk, I have outlook open, I have my BB phone set to vibrate and I have the Flyer at my desk also set to vibrate.

Generally, it is a tossup which device gets the email first. Also, I delete on the Flyer and it is removed almost immediately from all the others.

I was surprised by this.

I also brought my Playbook once and had it bridged. Bridge was the slowest everytime. Plus, Playbook does not vibrate so it is hard to know when you get a new message.

Based on this running experiment, I no longer care about BB's email. If the Playbook uses activesync in 2.0, that is fine by me.

I think that the people who are predicting all kinds of sync issues have never used any activesync device.
    09-24-11 05:07 AM
    Surely the whole point of having a tablet with native email is for those people WHO DO NOT OWN A BLACKBERRY because Bridge is for those people that do.

And why are people complaining when no other tablet in the world exists which gives you this choice.
    Last edited by ODAAT; 09-24-11 at 08:35 AM.
    09-24-11 08:29 AM

Generally, it is a tossup which device gets the email first. Also, I delete on the Flyer and it is removed almost immediately from all the others.
    It is true that activesync can be as fast as a push client, however how is the battery life, as activesync still relies on constantly polling for changes. The second draw back is data, polling uses a lot more data. The constant checking uses data packs that are sent both ways. As the USA starts to follow other countries with data caps, and pay per overage apple and androids careless concerns for data compression and data management may very well bite them.
    09-24-11 09:54 AM
    It is true that activesync can be as fast as a push client, however how is the battery life, as activesync still relies on constantly polling for changes. The second draw back is data, polling uses a lot more data. The constant checking uses data packs that are sent both ways. As the USA starts to follow other countries with data caps, and pay per overage apple and androids careless concerns for data compression and data management may very well bite them.
    I have found that the battery life on the Flyer is fine. The Playbook's battery life is fine too. But, when I have bluetooth on and it is bridged to the phone, Playbook is worse. It still gets me through the day and that is all I care about really. It might casue problems for some people though but I charge my devices every night.
    09-24-11 10:02 AM
    Now what we need is for the unified email to work within Blackberry Bridge. I personally would like to see the exact same thing that I need on my phone(email's, BBM's, text messages). And for those people that uses facebook, twitter, etc that has everything linked to their email should also see everything in it as well.
    05-10-12 08:20 PM
    Now what we need is for the unified email to work within Blackberry Bridge. I personally would like to see the exact same thing that I need on my phone(email's, BBM's, text messages). And for those people that uses facebook, twitter, etc that has everything linked to their email should also see everything in it as well.
    Way to go! Let's bring all 2011's threads back to life!
    05-10-12 11:40 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD