Not sure if this is widely known or not. I read here alot and wasnt sure about this. I just watched the video on Engadget demo'ing Bridge BBM and the guy from RIM says native non bridge coming in an OS update this summer.

BlackBerry Messenger on PlayBook hands-on -- Engadget
    05-03-11 04:12 AM
    That's a great news ! Thx Blacklac !

Peoples told that's a normal thing there is no BBM in native for the playbook, that's normal we have to use the BB Bridge. But that's a logical thing to add this feature native because when you buy a BB Device, you have BBM, so as far as i'm concerned i bought a BB Device, a playbook, we should have the same features ! We have a PIN number !

So, i'm very happy !
    05-03-11 04:17 AM
    probably come with native email and the lot
    05-03-11 05:48 AM
    If bbm runs off a data plan now, doesn't it figure that possibly the native bbm for the playbook would only be offered on 3G and 4G models..?
    05-03-11 06:46 AM
    I agree with newshutr i think native BBM will only be for the radio models.
    05-03-11 07:06 AM
    No, anybody on wi-fi would also like to use BBM. can't they ?
    05-03-11 02:16 PM
    I don't really want this but I like it for Wifi playbook owners who don't already have a Blackberry.
    05-03-11 02:27 PM
    If bbm runs off a data plan now, doesn't it figure that possibly the native bbm for the playbook would only be offered on 3G and 4G models..?
    Not true, I use bbm all the time with wifi only on.
    05-03-11 02:37 PM
    IMO, having native BBM on a wifi model only goes against the always connected theme. I would not be surprised if there is no native BBM for wifi models.

But who knows?
    05-03-11 02:49 PM
    Doesn't make sense to have it on radio models and not on wifi models since both will run the same OS.
    05-03-11 02:52 PM
    Doesn't make sense to have it on radio models and not on wifi models since both will run the same OS.
    Actually, I think it does. Read below. As Radio models will come with a data plan, which equals a registration to the BIS.

Not true, I use bbm all the time with wifi only on.
    WiFi only ey? You do realise that all the WiFi does is tunnel through to RIM's NOC and BIS services, rather than going through the Carrier to the NOC and BIS services right?
    05-03-11 04:57 PM
    It seems that the native email app is a java app --- "blackberry player" was listed as the title on the bottom of the card view and there is no multitasking when the demo went from email to calender to contacts.
    05-03-11 06:22 PM
    i beleive that there will be Native BBM but it wont come until RIM has the qnx os hooked up with their blackberry servers ( i think this is what people call the NOC) that way the bbm's and emails will be securely sent through the RIM servers, which i'm guessing i a huge deal for a lot of corporate clients, even though it means nothing to me and a large assortment of BB users. IMO, RIM is serving their corp.customers (govt, etc....) all the while hindering the consumer, in a calculated risk.

anyways....i'm typing this from my playbook and would still like auto correct, surely this is not a "security" risk or NOC issue.

cheers.
    05-03-11 06:38 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD