Being that Playbook users without a Blackberry cannot utilize BBM and being that PINs change based on the phone, I have often wondered why BBM even uses the PIN, rather than utilizing the Blackberry ID. This would seemingly make switching devices easier and allow Playbook users the ability to use BBM

I don't have this problem being that i have both a BB & PB but it's just a thought

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-11-11 09:52 PM
    because history of blackberry (when the devices was still about pure messaging/email) it was 'cool' to have since some people could get email but ONLY people with blackberry had a pin.

I read this in the blackberry book a while ago (theres a book about the history of rim/blackberry)
    08-11-11 10:17 PM
    because history of blackberry (when the devices was still about pure messaging/email) it was 'cool' to have since some people could get email but ONLY people with blackberry had a pin.

I read this in the blackberry book a while ago (theres a book about the history of rim/blackberry)
    Good one indeed. And it seems the legacy still continues till this very day .
    08-11-11 10:24 PM
    It is actually easily portable now. You just do a backup inside bbm and it asks for email address to use..

When I got a new phone and moved over my BIS/BES, BBM automatically prompted to restore contacts, it asks to verify email, click yes (since the email arrives on the same phone, bbm detects the email and verifies automatically) no need to enter anything manually.

Recent swap of the phone was really easy and automatic. Only thing I did manually was assign the new device pin to my account in BES. BIS automatically realized I have new device, and pushed all the settings to it. Opened up BBM and 20 seconds later all contacts everything already there. (of course because of BES? all my contacts/memo/email/tasks all moved over automatically during BES activation).
    08-12-11 12:11 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD