I was wondering if I could get some advice on NAS solutions. I'm a bit behind the curve with these as I haven't looked into these for a good while and they seem to have advanced tonnes!

So I gather with most NAS devices, I should be able to use something like ES explorer sideloaded and smb:// access to stream. Also some will have web interfaces.
    Q1: Will this work when not on the same wifi network - I gather it now does for most modern NAS devices?

I've seen about being able to transcode on the fly to assist with cases where the Playbook may not support a format.
    Q2: Are any particular NAS devices better for this (and also is there a guide how to set this up) - or some that are recommended?

Any particular recommendations for NAS devices? I was looking at a Synology one - DS212J - which seems to have good reviews, 2 swapable drives and USB for extra drives (I currently have a USB 1TB I would like to continue using and have a couple of drives spare I could plug straight in) - does anyone have this one and have opinions of using it generally and with Playbook? Also seen a D-Link ShareCentre Pulse/Cloud which is about half the price and a Netgear ReadyNAS Duo.??

ta for advice in advance.
    Last edited by amiteo; 11-23-12 at 04:30 AM.
    11-23-12 04:19 AM
    I have sideloaded DS audio and DS photo, works like a charm.
    Sideloaded this one http://goodereader.com/apps/wp-conte...oad.php?id=186 too for my video, cause DS video ain't working (didnt find the bar file yet).
    But unfortunately don't work at my playbook

So music and photos yes, video streaming not yet
    11-23-12 04:33 PM