In the morning I start on google for some internet browsing. The Playbook keyboard lags to the point of embarrasment and I find navigation a horrendous experience. I load up ebay - same. Ebuyer - I can't navigate the menus, as they don't stay open on click. I give up, cursing the damned thing, and vow to buy another tablet.

An hour later I get ready to go out. I lean the Playbook against the bathroom window, turn the volume up near the highest, random uPNP stream play from my entire music library (on NAS server) of about 30,000 songs and have a shower. 'This thing is absolutely awesome', I think to myself.

There lies the everyday Playbook paradox. Infuriating beyond belief, and utterly loveable at the exact same time.
    Last edited by Deckard79; 06-08-13 at 04:36 AM.
    06-08-13 04:20 AM
    I did a security wipe and the keyboard lag completely disappeared.....
    06-08-13 05:17 AM
    I know that all too well. Typing can be the most frustrating experience on the PlayBook. You hit a virtual key and wait for ages for something to happen on the screen. Not even spending a day wiping and setting the PlayBook up again resolved it for longer than one week. Let's hope for BB10 to arrive ....
    06-08-13 06:01 AM
    For some reason, I only find keyboard lag in the Browser. I do a hard reset using Overload and it all works again for a day or two until I have to do it all over again

Posted via CB10
    06-08-13 06:09 AM
    It would be nice if we could pin down what triggers the lag. I do know leaving Javscript ON will definitely slow the keyboard or even close it while typing if the site is still loading.
    06-08-13 08:42 AM
    Auto complete on Google, YouTube, etc is usually the cause of keyboard lag for me.
    fourboysplus likes this.
    06-08-13 08:46 AM
    I have never experienced this keyboard lag, ever...I wonder if it is how we use our Playbooks or the fact that I always use my Blackberry Mini keyboard? Or, for once, I bought the non-lemon in the bunch....
    As a matter of habit, I reboot or reset my Playbook fairly often (3 key reset).

As with many things on the playbook, this is a mystery...I only know that, since I do 99 percent of my correspondance on the Playbook for my online store I would have pitched it out the window months ago if there were keyboard lag!!
    06-09-13 08:38 AM
    I have never experienced this keyboard lag, ever...I wonder if it is how we use our Playbooks or the fact that I always use my Blackberry Mini keyboard? Or, for once, I bought the non-lemon in the bunch....
    As a matter of habit, I reboot or reset my Playbook fairly often (3 key reset).

As with many things on the playbook, this is a mystery...I only know that, since I do 99 percent of my correspondance on the Playbook for my online store I would have pitched it out the window months ago if there were keyboard lag!!
    We are talking about the same BlackBerry Playbook right?
    brianatbb likes this.
    06-09-13 10:05 AM
    We are talking about the same BlackBerry Playbook right?
    Apparently! Have had mine 64 since January 2012....
    06-09-13 01:52 PM
    I've had mine since Dec. '11 and it has always had serious keyboard lag. The wait is long enough to persuade me it didn't register, then it registers several keystrokes at once, forcing me to backspace, engendering more lag and over-erasing, forcing me to re-input letters, and so on. Thus, in that yo- yo fashion I eventually manage to write out what I want. That and checkerboarding kill the flow of whatever I try to do, making the whole experience and exercise in frustration. You can reduce checkerboarding by turning off java and flash, but just when you notice how much faster it is, you have to turn them back on to access a website, and its back to checkerboarding and serious lag. And that's not even getting into android-emulated apps, which generally don't work. Those that do involve serious lag opening and using them, re-orienting them, etc. I luv Kindle except that it's a pain to get started -- a couple of minutes minimum. On my android phone, it launches in seconds. I've tried Fast Browser, like its features, but it doesn't display google homepage properly so I can't search anything -- a minor detail in BB world, I suppose.
    06-11-13 10:10 AM
    Lag definitely seems related to usage, and amount of history the thing has.

I've got two, and one sits, largely on charge and gets very occasional use, and is as snappy as you like. My main one had been progressively getting more laggy over time, and the other day I decided to do a security wipe, then a debrick reload of the OS.

Yes, takes a bit of time - but COMPLETELY worth it. It's now as snappy and responsive as my second PlayBook, and reminds me of my first few months of using one.
    amp323 likes this.
    06-11-13 10:42 AM
    Lag definitely seems related to usage, and amount of history the thing has.

I've got two, and one sits, largely on charge and gets very occasional use, and is as snappy as you like. My main one had been progressively getting more laggy over time, and the other day I decided to do a security wipe, then a debrick reload of the OS.

Yes, takes a bit of time - but COMPLETELY worth it. It's now as snappy and responsive as my second PlayBook, and reminds me of my first few months of using one.

What Wongsky said! My 2 64 gb units (1 bought @ launch, the other 8 weeks after) are EXACTLY like Wongsky(s). I just did a wipe of my "Work" playbook which I had done sideloading and almost filled to capacity (The Playbook does NOT like to be filled to near capacity. It likes about 8/10 GB free for what ever reason). It also DOES NOT LIKE to have the main dock tweaked with, i.e. moving and grouping in the main dock)

Now my Work Playbook is as snappy as it came out of the box after a wipoe and a reload of the OS Image. Worth the 2.5 hrs to do after almost 2 years. Not unlike your PC, every year or 2, I wipe and reformat and the PC is like a new screamer machine........

C
    06-11-13 11:05 AM
    re: wipe and restore

The big problem, for me, at least, is that restoring 50-60 gigabytes of data is quite time consuming.
    kbz1960 likes this.
    06-11-13 12:10 PM
    re: wipe and restore

The big problem, for me, at least, is that restoring 50-60 gigabytes of data is quite time consuming.
    Well there is that - but use USB for file transfers of large amount and it will be significantly faster than WiFi.

It's been several days since I wiped and debricked PlayBook no: 1 and it's still as snappy as it was, and my 2nd PlayBook. I haven't reinstated the email client / account (gmail) as having a large mailbox definitely seemed to have some effect, and as the browser is nice and snappy, now, I think I'd rather use gmail through a browser.

Plus I always have my Z10 as an email client.
    06-14-13 09:03 AM
    Agree. Any of you have BB10 phones? Let me know in a couple months if the same unknown lag issues crop up. I thought QNX wasn't going to have these issues. Has BBRY screwed it up that much?
    06-14-13 09:11 AM
    We shouldn't need or have to wipe every couple months. That is ludicrous.
    06-14-13 09:13 AM

An hour later I get ready to go out. I lean the Playbook against the bathroom window, turn the volume up near the highest, random uPNP stream play from my entire music library (on NAS server) of about 30,000 songs and have a shower. 'This thing is absolutely awesome', I think to myselt
    What app do you use to stream from your NAS?

Posted via CB10
    06-14-13 09:26 AM
    We shouldn't need or have to wipe every couple months. That is ludicrous.
    Well personally I'm not suggesting wiping it regularly - or that you should have to. I think there's a combination of factors that induce lag, for me, one factor seemed to be a large gmail mailbox as an email account for the email account.

I've had my 2nd PlayBook, now for a couple of months, and it's not showing any lag or slowdown. Sure, it doesn't get anything like as much use as my main one, but for me, that was partly the puzzle - why is one, that's configured in a very similar fashion, yet only gets light use - mostly just to play music whilst I'm working, not affected by any slowdown or lag, and another is.
    06-14-13 09:33 AM
    Well personally I'm not suggesting wiping it regularly - or that you should have to. I think there's a combination of factors that induce lag, for me, one factor seemed to be a large gmail mailbox as an email account for the email account.

I've had my 2nd PlayBook, now for a couple of months, and it's not showing any lag or slowdown. Sure, it doesn't get anything like as much use as my main one, but for me, that was partly the puzzle - why is one, that's configured in a very similar fashion, yet only gets light use - mostly just to play music whilst I'm working, not affected by any slowdown or lag, and another is.
    I hear ya. Just shouldn't be and BBRY should've had it better a long time ago. My pb is basically stock with only a couple apps as itnseems if I put much on it at all more and more lags come creeping in.
    06-14-13 10:22 AM