Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 51 to 75 of 85
Like Tree21Likes
  1. spencerharry80's Avatar
    CrackBerry Newbie

    Posts
    8 Posts
    #51  

    Default

    Yes you are right in most of the comment for comparison in Blackberry playbook Vs Nexus 7.
  2. bitek's Avatar
    CrackBerry Genius

    Posts
    2,311 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,443 Global Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #52  

    Default

    Nexus is really cool tablet. There is couple of things that i do not like about it. 1. flash is not supported and i do not like N7 handles video through browser. 2. multitasking is ackward on Android.
    MyHomeSpace.ca and MyCondoSpace.ca
  3. howarmat's Avatar

    Posts
    22,832 Posts
    Global Posts
    23,390 Global Posts
    PIN
    24DA0A39
    #53  

    Default

    flash is supported, just not installed from factory
    ~Matt
    Nexus 5, Z10 LE, White Lumia 521, 32GB Nook HD+ & 16GB PB, 32 GB Dell Venue 8 Pro
    @howarmat
  4. blackcaneaddict's Avatar
    CrackBerry Abuser

    Posts
    357 Posts
    Global Posts
    386 Global Posts
    #54  

    Default Re: My review. Blackberry Playbook vs Nexus 7.

    Going back and forth daily between these to devices I've started to become bothered by the always on screen back,home, multitask button. Not really noticably with some apps, but when you try to us it with Chrome browser your stuck with a black bar on bottom and the address bar on top.

    I know and use many that don't have the address bar on top, but that's almost a deal breaker when comparing both browsers. Almost makes me what to uninstall Chrome for now and wait for forth improvements. Besides not having flash support available I would disagree with anyone that says PB browser< Chrome browser.
  5. CairnsRock's Avatar
    CrackBerry Addict

    Posts
    869 Posts
    Global Posts
    873 Global Posts
    #55  

    Default

    I just popped over to AndroidCentral to check the forum on Nexus 7. Lot of complaints about lack of stereo headphone support, no microphone, so skype doesnt work, but they have it, and no hdmi video presentation capability. Plus the usual Android buggy and no software update threads.

    Sounds great eh!
  6. Tre Lawrence's Avatar
    Between Realities

    Posts
    10,955 Posts
    Global Posts
    11,669 Global Posts
    #56  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by blackcaneaddict View Post
    Going back and forth daily between these to devices I've started to become bothered by the always on screen back,home, multitask button. Not really noticably with some apps, but when you try to us it with Chrome browser your stuck with a black bar on bottom and the address bar on top.

    I know and use many that don't have the address bar on top, but that's almost a deal breaker when comparing both browsers. Almost makes me what to uninstall Chrome for now and wait for forth improvements. Besides not having flash support available I would disagree with anyone that says PB browser< Chrome browser.
    But other browsers exist that may fit better for N7, no? Options.
  7. reeneebob's Avatar
    CrackBerry Genius of Geniuses

    Posts
    5,517 Posts
    Global Posts
    6,113 Global Posts
    PIN
    Wouldn't you like to know
    #57  

    Default Re: My review. Blackberry Playbook vs Nexus 7.

    Quote Originally Posted by CairnsRock View Post
    I just popped over to AndroidCentral to check the forum on Nexus 7. Lot of complaints about lack of stereo headphone support, no microphone, so skype doesnt work, but they have it, and no hdmi video presentation capability. Plus the usual Android buggy and no software update threads.

    Sounds great eh!
    Not to get in the way of your rant, but the Nexus 7 runs vanilla android which gets its updates almost immediately from Google as it doesn't have a manufacturer overlay. Not sure why you are saying that the nexus 7 forum would be complaining about updates, unless it's to be deliberately misinformed.

    And current android is not as bug ridden as old, far less than my 9900 or iphone 4. Electronics can have bugs. Oh noes it happens.

    But keep on keeping on with the selective reading and spin. You go, Glen coco.

    I've got blisters on me fingers!!! from using Tapatalk 2
    Last edited by reeneebob; 12-02-2012 at 04:28 PM.
  8. Tre Lawrence's Avatar
    Between Realities

    Posts
    10,955 Posts
    Global Posts
    11,669 Global Posts
    #58  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by reeneebob View Post
    But keep on keeping on with the selectibe reading and spin. You go, Glen coco.
    LOL... now I cannot get that song out of my head. Ha!!!!!!!!!!
  9. reeneebob's Avatar
    CrackBerry Genius of Geniuses

    Posts
    5,517 Posts
    Global Posts
    6,113 Global Posts
    PIN
    Wouldn't you like to know
    #59  

    Default Re: My review. Blackberry Playbook vs Nexus 7.

    Quote Originally Posted by trelawrence View Post
    LOL... now I cannot get that song out of my head. Ha!!!!!!!!!!
    I watched Mean Girls the other day. I was randomly telling people "AND NONE FOR GRETCHEN WEINERS!" all day.

    I've got blisters on me fingers!!! from using Tapatalk 2
  10. dugggggg's Avatar
    CrackBerry Addict

    Posts
    518 Posts
    #60  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CairnsRock View Post
    Lot of complaints about lack of stereo headphone support, no microphone, so skype doesnt work!
    To clarify, the Nexus 7 only has a headPHONE jack---just like the PlayBook does. So if you try to plug a headSET into either tablet, the headset's mike will not function.

    Of course, the N7 does have a built-in mike, and Skype works quite well on it---a lot better than it does on the PB.
    Thanked by:
    reeneebob (12-02-2012) 
  11. tarektoverso's Avatar
    CrackBerry Abuser

    Posts
    250 Posts
    #61  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CairnsRock View Post
    ... forum on Nexus 7. Lot of complaints ..., no microphone,...Sounds great eh!
    Eh ?
    Voice Typing Feature on Nexus 7
    Simply touch the microphone on the keyboard and use your voice to type your emails, SMS, or anywhere you want to enter text.


    Or maybe you bought yours at a gas station ? ^^
    Even a broken clock is right twice a day.
  12. Techno-Emigre's Avatar
    CrackBerry Abuser

    Posts
    450 Posts
    #62  

    Default

    Well, I have learned a lot from you guys. This is a discussion RIM needs to follow and probably is.
    As for you children that are naughty and can't be nice .... I should inform you that Santa is my brother-in-law and it is not going to go well for you if you don't get some manners pronto. Just as suggestion. Please don't slow the spin of the world. No need. This is like arguing over why I love turkey enchiladas and you don't. Salsa anyone?
  13. jackpots's Avatar
    CrackBerry Abuser

    Posts
    154 Posts
    #63  

    Default

    Very good OP, fair and detailed enough without a white paper, and excellent discussion that followed inspite of some discourtesy.

    To the OP, it appears that most of your issues probably will not be addressed with a possible BB10 update, though it should introduce a few new features and some speed improvements from component rebuilds to Cascades. In my estimation, RIM has already written off the PB and it is stable, therefore they will not invest much resources in it. RIM probably will not release any new tablets until they have a native app for each of the top 20% of apps on android and IOS. I would even go as far to say that they retire the PlayBook brand due to goodwill, or actually, badwill. Business is business.
    Last edited by jackpots; 12-02-2012 at 07:08 PM.
  14. Sriman's Avatar
    CrackBerry Abuser

    Posts
    240 Posts
    Global Posts
    294 Global Posts
    #64  

    Default

    Good comparison..
    Thanks,
    Sriman
    Meeting Minutes Pro - Become a Pro at attending, organizing, tracking, manging and distributing meetings
    Meeting Minutes - A 3 day trial version of Meeting Minutes Pro
    www.srimanapps.com
  15. bitek's Avatar
    CrackBerry Genius

    Posts
    2,311 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,443 Global Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #65  

    Default Re: My review. Blackberry Playbook vs Nexus 7.

    Quote Originally Posted by howarmat View Post
    flash is supported, just not installed from factory
    yes you can install it but it does not work as well on playbook. flash hangs my android tablet. also rim updates flash with each pb update. the same flash update on android will be a year from now.so no good

    Quote Originally Posted by reeneebob View Post
    Not to get in the way of your rant, but the Nexus 7 runs vanilla android which gets its updates almost immediately from Google as it doesn't have a manufacturer overlay. Not sure why you are saying that the nexus 7 forum would be complaining about updates, unless it's to be deliberately misinformed.

    And current android is not as bug ridden as old, far less than my 9900 or iphone 4. Electronics can have bugs. Oh noes it happens.

    But keep on keeping on with the selective reading and spin. You go, Glen coco.

    I've got blisters on me fingers!!! from using Tapatalk 2
    nexus is the best android tablet hands down. rest is garbage in my opinion. especially lenovo. I did play with the new $149 lenovo 7" and it is just terrible. 4.1 looks nice. previous editions of android looked terrible imo.

    Quote Originally Posted by jackpots View Post
    Very good OP, fair and detailed enough without a white paper, and excellent discussion that followed inspite of some discourtesy.

    To the OP, it appears that most of your issues probably will not be addressed with a possible BB10 update, though it should introduce a few new features and some speed improvements from component rebuilds to Cascades. In my estimation, RIM has already written off the PB and it is stable, therefore they will not invest much resources in it. RIM probably will not release any new tablets until they have a native app for each of the top 20% of apps on android and IOS. I would even go as far to say that they retire the PlayBook brand due to goodwill, or actually, badwill. Business is business.
    i think rim will come out with new true second generation playbook tablet. better specs, os10 from getgo , reasonable price etc. 2mil of playbooks sold is decent. overall playbook has good user review. apps for bb10 phone will run well on playbook. bb10 for playbook if it does come out might make playbook awefully great tablet for what people pay for them now.

    having said that as of today the way it is now nexus 7 seems to be more complete package. playbook has good selection of games but the rest is still lacking compared to Nexus 7. nexus is better tablet to do actual work imo. one thing that I kind of cannot forgive pb is the browser. the thing is that I can live without many apps. afterall I can just use mobile sites for pinterst, travel advisor and many others however what bothers me is that pb browser instead of being the best is just mediocare in terms of features and speed say comparex to chrome,firefox or dolphin. no addons, no good management of bookmarks, , no user agent , no skins, speed is really lacking compared to other three browsers. honestly the other three browsers are just flying on nexus 7 compared to pb. rim should have at least give us great browser if they cannot give us all apps yet. still I like my playbook. what sort of saves pb is full flash support which does not work so well on 4.2 imo. also using unsupported flash on nexus 7 is asking for troubles down the road.


    Sent from Blackberry Playbook using TapaTalk 2
    Last edited by bitek; 12-02-2012 at 08:45 PM.
    MyHomeSpace.ca and MyCondoSpace.ca
  16. notfanboy's Avatar
    CrackBerry Genius

    Posts
    2,121 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,122 Global Posts
    #66  

    Default Re: My review. Blackberry Playbook vs Nexus 7.

    Bitek, can you post links to the flash sites that are giving you trouble?
  17. bitek's Avatar
    CrackBerry Genius

    Posts
    2,311 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,443 Global Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #67  

    Default Re: My review. Blackberry Playbook vs Nexus 7.

    Quote Originally Posted by notafanboy View Post
    Bitek, can you post links to the flash sites that are giving you trouble?
    I really cannot. I do not have them specifically saved. but my n7 hanged few times when flash was enabled. mind you that I use firefox for android so this might as well be issue. also sucks that flash does not work on chrome at all.

    Sent from Blackberry Playbook using TapaTalk 2
    MyHomeSpace.ca and MyCondoSpace.ca
  18. Michel Souris's Avatar
    CrackBerry Abuser

    Posts
    295 Posts
    #68  

    Default

    All this talk of flash is irrelevant, as it's being quickly phased out in favor of html5. There won't be flash anywhere in a year or so, and Adobe has stopped supporting it for several platforms already.
    I've played with an N7 for a while, and it's a really sweet device. My only complaint is that it doesn't have a micro-SD slot for expansion.
  19. Xopher's Avatar
    CrackBerry Genius

    Posts
    4,053 Posts
    Global Posts
    4,722 Global Posts
    PIN
    BBM & Kik (ask)
    #69  

    Default Re: My review. Blackberry Playbook vs Nexus 7.

    Quote Originally Posted by Michel Souris View Post
    All this talk of flash is irrelevant, as it's being quickly phased out in favor of html5. There won't be flash anywhere in a year or so, and Adobe has stopped supporting it for several platforms already.
    I've played with an N7 for a while, and it's a really sweet device. My only complaint is that it doesn't have a micro-SD slot for expansion.
    It's only irrelevant if you don't access sites that use Flash. I watch Amazon Prime videos all the time on my Playbook and Nexus 7 (via xScope Browser). If I didn't have Flash on my tablets, I wouldn't be able to watch streaming videos on them.

    Yes, it is a fading platform, but sites still use it. Until major sites (like Amazon) abandon Flash and start using HTML5, it will stay relevant.

    Using an OTG cable, I connect flash drives to my Nexus 7 and watch videos from them. There might not be an internal microSD slot (neither does the PlayBook), but it does have OTG expansion. I've even connected my 500GB external hard drive to the Nexus 7 and it saw all the images, music, and videos on it (although it took it a while to index such a large drive).
    RuneCryption - Unique memory game for PlayBook & BB10, now "Built for BlackBerry".
    D_March and bitek like this.
  20. bitek's Avatar
    CrackBerry Genius

    Posts
    2,311 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,443 Global Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #70  

    Default Re: My review. Blackberry Playbook vs Nexus 7.

    Quote Originally Posted by Michel Souris View Post
    All this talk of flash is irrelevant, as it's being quickly phased out in favor of html5. There won't be flash anywhere in a year or so, and Adobe has stopped supporting it for several platforms already.
    I've played with an N7 for a while, and it's a really sweet device. My only complaint is that it doesn't have a micro-SD slot for expansion.
    perhaps but as of today it is relevant.

    Sent from Blackberry Playbook using TapaTalk 2
    MyHomeSpace.ca and MyCondoSpace.ca
  21. blackcaneaddict's Avatar
    CrackBerry Abuser

    Posts
    357 Posts
    Global Posts
    386 Global Posts
    #71  

    Default Re: My review. Blackberry Playbook vs Nexus 7.

    Quote Originally Posted by trelawrence View Post
    But other browsers exist that may fit better for N7, no? Options.
    Yes, which is really why I enjoy Androids ecosystem.

    OP stated that the chome was better then the BB browser because it had more options. Maybe I misunderstand OP and was referring to "options" as different browser choices.

    Even though adobe has dropped flash support for mobile Rim will continue to update it for our Playbooks. Not sure for how long though. Currently our Playbooks is on 11.1.121.66 ,while the different versions of Android flash is out there, my phone is running 11.1.111.xx. Not to much difference, but I'm expecting a big jump when BB10 gets here.
  22. bitek's Avatar
    CrackBerry Genius

    Posts
    2,311 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,443 Global Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #72  

    Default Re: My review. Blackberry Playbook vs Nexus 7.

    Quote Originally Posted by blackcaneaddict View Post
    Yes, which is really why I enjoy Androids ecosystem.

    OP stated that the chome was better then the BB browser because it had more options. Maybe I misunderstand OP and was referring to "options" as different browser choices.

    Even though adobe has dropped flash support for mobile Rim will continue to update it for our Playbooks. Not sure for how long though. Currently our Playbooks is on 11.1.121.66 ,while the different versions of Android flash is out there, my phone is running 11.1.111.xx. Not to much difference, but I'm expecting a big jump when BB10 gets here.
    I meant features such as user agent etc.

    Sent from Blackberry Playbook using TapaTalk 2
    MyHomeSpace.ca and MyCondoSpace.ca
  23. bitek's Avatar
    CrackBerry Genius

    Posts
    2,311 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,443 Global Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #73  

    Default

    I returned Nexus 7 today. I decided to stay with Playbook only for now. Kind of did not see reason to keep two tablets. Either I would keep Nexus 7 and sell Playbook or Return N7 and keep Playbook. I decided to go with the latter. To wipe off my tears I got myself new game from the app store and leather case for playbook. For whatever reason i could not make N7 to switch from portrait to landscape and vice versa automatically. I installed 4.2.1. It did not help. I wiped OS to default settings and this did not help. I kind of did not like that i have to do it manually. Weird thing is that the guy in the store had his own nexus 7 with 4.2.1 and his tablet was switching viewing positions automatically. Other reason why i decided to keep playbook is that i can access internet through bluetooth with blackberry. Finally i think that it sucks a bit that the control bar is always on the screen (except for watching movies). Having 7" tablet this is like 5% of space wasted in such a small space. N7 is nontheless awesome tablet.
    i will just wait for another update from Google and i will go with updated version next year with full LTE support.
    MyHomeSpace.ca and MyCondoSpace.ca
    Thanked by:
    CairnsRock (12-03-2012) 
  24. jpash549's Avatar
    CrackBerry Genius

    Posts
    1,640 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,866 Global Posts
    #74  

    Default

    Interesting that you came back to the Playbook. I'll have to check the N7 site and see whether they noticed your departure. Some seemed rather nasty toward you in the thread you posted on that site which started out just like this one. As for me I'll keep my Nexus 7 along with two Playbooks and two HP touchpads but then maybe I'm just a collector and bargain hunter with nothing better to do. By the way did you try the $2.99 app for the N7 called Rotation Control which allows control of view in landscape or portrait and automatic switching.
  25. bitek's Avatar
    CrackBerry Genius

    Posts
    2,311 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,443 Global Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #75  

    Default Re: My review. Blackberry Playbook vs Nexus 7.

    Quote Originally Posted by jpash549 View Post
    Interesting that you came back to the Playbook. I'll have to check the N7 site and see whether they noticed your departure. Some seemed rather nasty toward you in the thread you posted on that site which started out just like this one. As for me I'll keep my Nexus 7 along with two Playbooks and two HP touchpads but then maybe I'm just a collector and bargain hunter with nothing better to do. By the way did you try the $2.99 app for the N7 called Rotation Control which allows control of view in landscape or portrait and automatic switching.
    yes I did use several apps and none would not rotate screen automatically. they all would do it manually. the store rep nexus (he said runnung 4.2.1) would rotate screen automatically. frustrating to say least. n7 is pretty cool but I read rummors that nexus 7 lte with updated specs is coming eairly next year. so let see. I like LTE solution the best. this way n7 would connected to the internet 24/7 like playbook is now via bluetooth of the phone. also want to see bb10. I just do not see good reason to have two tablets. one tablet is good enough for me. so for now it is playbook. let's home google will come to its senses and it will make the control bar hide automatically with future os update. it does take a lot of space on small 7" screen.

    Sent from Blackberry Playbook using TapaTalk 2
    MyHomeSpace.ca and MyCondoSpace.ca
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 7
    Last Post: 09-30-2012, 11:06 AM
  2. Vote! Blackberry Playbook Vs Ipad
    By Saif Beiruty in forum BlackBerry PlayBook
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 03-12-2012, 01:59 PM
  3. Vote! Blackberry Playbook Vs New Ipad
    By Saif Beiruty in forum BlackBerry PlayBook
    Replies: 26
    Last Post: 03-09-2012, 10:19 AM
  4. Blackberry playbook vs Motorola Xoom
    By NBaker20 in forum BlackBerry PlayBook
    Replies: 36
    Last Post: 03-28-2011, 08:03 PM
  5. My (longish) review iPhone 4 vs Blackberry
    By euro2low in forum General BlackBerry Discussion
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 06-18-2010, 09:13 PM

Posting Permissions