Welcome to the CrackBerry Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Results 1 to 10 of 10
Like Tree5Likes
  • 1 Post By void11
  • 1 Post By bpdude
  • 3 Post By lnichols
  1. void11's Avatar
    CrackBerry User

    Posts
    85 Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

    Default My reason for being disappointed with the Feb 2012 announcement

    I really hoped RIM would relaunch the PB with OS 2.0 this year and revive a potentially dying product. The fact is I really like my PB but I want to see longevity in terms of product support and new apps. Without increased adoption, it stands no chance. Quad core Android tablets are going to roll out in 2012 along with Ice Cream Sandwich. Apple will release iPad 3. Windows 8 tablets will be coming out next year as well. 2012 is going to be a very competitive market for tablets. Feb 2012 release of OS 2.0 (if they can even meet it) will be too late in my opinion. The only option I see is for them to drop the price down to $199 or less.
    kb5zht likes this.
  2. papped's Avatar
    CrackBerry Genius of Geniuses

    Posts
    15,939 Posts
    Global Posts
    17,186 Global Posts
    #2  

    Default

    Problem is, even at $199 the older android tablets will hit the same mark eventually anyways...
  3. bpdude's Avatar
    CrackBerry Abuser

    Posts
    299 Posts
    #3  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by void11 View Post
    I really hoped RIM would relaunch the PB with OS 2.0 this year and revive a potentially dying product. The fact is I really like my PB but I want to see longevity in terms of product support and new apps. Without increased adoption, it stands no chance. Quad core Android tablets are going to roll out in 2012 along with Ice Cream Sandwich. Apple will release iPad 3. Windows 8 tablets will be coming out next year as well. 2012 is going to be a very competitive market for tablets. Feb 2012 release of OS 2.0 (if they can even meet it) will be too late in my opinion. The only option I see is for them to drop the price down to $199 or less.
    2.0 will come out and sales will increase because the pb is awesome. The ipad will still sell regardless of how many cheapo amazon tabs come out. People will pay for something they like. Don't get caught up in the drama. Enjoy your pb. Its here to stay.
  4. jSkiLLzZz's Avatar
    CrackBerry User

    Posts
    19 Posts
    #4  

    Default

    yeah i was devastated at first bc im frustrated that a product i love is getting such bad pub but the sun did come up today and my pb still works and hopefully they can get it great in a few months. if they miss feb after all this then waterloo will burn but its time for everyone to relax. hopefully they heard the backlash, finally got the point and will get to work.
  5. lnichols's Avatar
    CrackBerry Genius of Geniuses

    Posts
    6,929 Posts
    Global Posts
    7,467 Global Posts
    #5  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bpdude View Post
    2.0 will come out and sales will increase because the pb is awesome. The ipad will still sell regardless of how many cheapo amazon tabs come out. People will pay for something they like. Don't get caught up in the drama. Enjoy your pb. Its here to stay.
    So consumers, corporations, government, and Blackberry phone owners, the overwhelming majority of which obviously didn't buy the Playbook based on the numbers sold, are going to flock to then 11 month old hardware just because 2.0 comes out? Thought writing that out would make it sound less crazy, but it didn't.
    F2, howarmat and void11 like this.
  6. bpdude's Avatar
    CrackBerry Abuser

    Posts
    299 Posts
    #6  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by lnichols View Post
    So consumers, corporations, government, and Blackberry phone owners, the overwhelming majority of which obviously didn't buy the Playbook based on the numbers sold, are going to flock to then 11 month old hardware just because 2.0 comes out? Thought writing that out would make it sound less crazy, but it didn't.
    The way you wrote it sounds crazy.
  7. lnichols's Avatar
    CrackBerry Genius of Geniuses

    Posts
    6,929 Posts
    Global Posts
    7,467 Global Posts
    #7  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bpdude View Post
    The way you wrote it sounds crazy.
    What part do I have wrong then?
  8. Spinal's Avatar
    CrackBerry Abuser

    Posts
    484 Posts
    #8  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by lnichols View Post
    What part do I have wrong then?
    looks fine to me lol.


    i really hope OS 2.0 meets the deadline as well as they include everything important plus stuff that people would just like to have in it, otherwise they've lost huge potential market share. I'm really curious to see the Transformer 2 with the Nvidia Tegra 3 processor and how it performs.
    "Two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."
    -Albert Einstein
  9. Grebnehtor's Avatar
    CrackBerry User

    Posts
    56 Posts
    Global Posts
    148 Global Posts
    #9  

    Default

    Lack of developer support is killing the PB. People want 100 games and an app for everything. I think the 7" screen only option didn't do it any favors as well..
  10. void11's Avatar
    CrackBerry User

    Posts
    85 Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #10  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Grebnehtor View Post
    Lack of developer support is killing the PB. People want 100 games and an app for everything. I think the 7" screen only option didn't do it any favors as well..
    I think people just want choices when it comes to apps. Sure some people want 100 games but for me I just want to have the same choices as an Android or iPad owner.

    The timing for a 7" tablet was bad. Everyone else was pushing out a 10.1" tablet and that's what the market wanted. The early reviews brought up the smaller screen as a negative. Ironically, the market is now steering towards the 7-8" screen with everyone else jumping in. I think if they held back with the April release and introduced the PB with a finished OS in Feb 2012 at $249-299, they would get a plenty of interest and positive reviews.

Posting Permissions