When my Playbook goes on stand by and the screen goes dark, I cannot get the screen back again. After I swipe diagonally (or press the on/off button) the screen continuous semidark showing a lot of vertical lines (almost like shadows).

To restore it, I need to continue pressing the on/off button many times until I get lucky and the screen returns to normal view. Sometimes, I have to do a soft reset and the screen returns to normal after a while.

Another times the screen returns but with colours inverted (white is black and black is white etc.). I have tried even the hard reset but it does not go away. Once the screen goes to normal, the device runs perfect until the next time it goes on Standby. It all started after I dropped the unit (although it was not a hard drop)

Can anyone help?
    04-13-13 01:29 PM
    Although the gesture to bring the PlayBook out of standby is to swipe up from the bottom bezel to the top, swiping anywhere on the screen seems to work for me.

What you are seeing is not normal in my opinion. It could very well be something got jarred loose after the drop. If you have had the PlayBook activated for less than a year, I would try for a warranty exchange.

Something else to try is to back up the files using the desktop software, doing a security wipe and reloading the PlayBook using the desktop software. There are instructions on this in other threads. If the problem persists after this process, then the problem is definitely with the hardware.
    04-13-13 01:39 PM
    Ouch! Dropping the PB is not good for it. You probably should take it for service because even though the screen isn't broken, something inside could be ( like the PCB)

Posted Via CB10 on my Zed10
    04-13-13 01:40 PM
    If you still have a warranty, it might be covered, although it should be able to take smaller falls, any sign of external damage and it would not be covered. Maybe something like a cable is loose although why it would work after persistent pressing or restarting I don't know. If no warranty, some folks have opened them and checked for loose cables. Good luck

The PB has a one year warranty to the original purchaser. It also has 90 free Tech support. I do not know how Rim deals with "quasi-tech support v. warranty"

Rim Support
    Tel:
    Canada Toll Free: 1-877-644-8405
    United States Toll Free: 1-877-644-8410
    Puerto Rico Toll Free: 1-855-651-4936
    Email: [email protected] (this route generally does not work and a call is necessary)

(UK Support) 0800 096 2805

Playbook French Support
    Smartphones BlackBerry Z10 - Tous les T�l�phones Portables BlackBerry - FR - France
    Phone : 0800 914 533 (within 90 days from activation)

BlackBerry� Customer Support Center
    Austria:0800-297-476
    Belgium:800-77-980
    RIM (Brasil Support toll free number): 0800-022-3161
    Bulgaria: 00800-118-1115
    Denmark: 802-50198
    France: 800-914-533
    Germany: 800-181-6530
    Italy: 800-789-272
    Luxembourg: 800-2-2187
    Netherlands: 800-022-7316
    Norway: 00-1-647-426-7058
    Poland: 00-800-112-43-59
    Portugal: 800-827-760
    Russia: 8-800-100-9643
    South Africa: 0800988892
    Spain: 900-866-969
    Sweden: 02-079-4448
    Switzerland: 0-800-802-492
    United Kingdom: 08000962805

Phone-Numbers of BlackBerry PLAYBOOK- Helpdesks...

Germany: 0800 1816530 (Geb�hrenfrei)

North-America: 1 877 255 2377 (Toll Free)

UK: 0808 100 7466 (Toll Free UK only)

Outside UK: +44 1753 558400

Worldwide: 1 519 888 6181

[email protected]

(BTW: Helpdesk for BlackBerry devices -except PlayBook- for Germany:
    0180 3302626)
    John Pawling likes this.
    04-13-13 02:21 PM
    This happens with my 32gb PlayBook exactly as the op described. Drives me crazy. I did not drop the device nor has it been subjected to Any abuse outside of what is considered normal use. I really hope this is a software issue and not a hardware issue.
    04-13-13 02:45 PM
    Sometimes it doesn't work for me either when swishing, but after reading the instructions you have to swipe from one side to the other (all the way) and it worked.
    04-14-13 07:02 PM
    Happens to me too. Search for previous post in this forum. I have the 32GB model, one with the "impossible to press" power button. It worked fine for a long time, but failure appeared to coincide with one of the OS updates (might have been the one that come out for a short while, then got pulled).

I have tried backing up data and doing a complete wipe with no luck. I'm not completely convinced it's just a hardware issue yet. Sometimes I will try the wake up, get that grey screen with stripes and then wait 3-4 seconds later and the image does come on properly.

Some observations that haven't been scientifically proven:
    • Appears to be particularly troublesome if I suspend it for a long period with WiFi off
    • The power button seems better at bringing it back than vertical swipe (still sometimes require repeated tries).
    • Seems to have less issue when plugged into power.
    • When plugged in, I can wake up with a horizontal tap on both edges (quickly tap the left bezel then the right bezel, no swipe required) and it seems pretty reliable. I cannot get it to wake up this way if it's not plugged in.
    • Have not noticed any difference in effectiveness of horizontal vs vertical swipe, except when plugged in.
    • Seems to be less troublesome if it has been in use a while and not suspended for too long.
    • Sometimes I get a "negative" colour actual image rather than the grey noise/stripey image.
    • Even when screen corrupt, it responds to screen touches correctly (i.e., I can still start up mail or get the settings)

I might consider buying a new PB if that will fix it, but I can't find where to buy them! Last time WalMart indicated it was in stock, but when I got to the store, nothing but the banged up demo.
    04-15-13 12:40 AM
    Happens to me too. Search for previous post in this forum. I have the 32GB model, one with the "impossible to press" power button. It worked fine for a long time, but failure appeared to coincide with one of the OS updates (might have been the one that come out for a short while, then got pulled).

I have tried backing up data and doing a complete wipe with no luck. I'm not completely convinced it's just a hardware issue yet. Sometimes I will try the wake up, get that grey screen with stripes and then wait 3-4 seconds later and the image does come on properly.

Some observations that haven't been scientifically proven:
    • Appears to be particularly troublesome if I suspend it for a long period with WiFi off
    • The power button seems better at bringing it back than vertical swipe (still sometimes require repeated tries).
    • Seems to have less issue when plugged into power.
    • When plugged in, I can wake up with a horizontal tap on both edges (quickly tap the left bezel then the right bezel, no swipe required) and it seems pretty reliable. I cannot get it to wake up this way if it's not plugged in.
    • Have not noticed any difference in effectiveness of horizontal vs vertical swipe, except when plugged in.
    • Seems to be less troublesome if it has been in use a while and not suspended for too long.
    • Sometimes I get a "negative" colour actual image rather than the grey noise/stripey image.
    • Even when screen corrupt, it responds to screen touches correctly (i.e., I can still start up mail or get the settings)

I might consider buying a new PB if that will fix it, but I can't find where to buy them! Last time WalMart indicated it was in stock, but when I got to the store, nothing but the banged up demo.
    Just wanted to highlight that item - one of the OS updates changed the pb's behavior when plugged into power. A tap on the screen, almost anywhere, when the unit is in Standbywill wake the unit. When plugged in, it does NOT need a full swipe from bezel to bezel.
    04-15-13 08:54 AM
    something worth mentioning: when symptom occurs, HDMI output renders normally. Also, the screen responds to touches when the symptom occurs, as verified by my entering my password via muscle memory using HDMI for confirmation... and use, of course.
    04-22-13 03:20 PM