Bought my Blackberry PlayBook a couple of months ago and am really impressed with its performance. Photographs I take on my PlayBook transfer brilliantly to my PC; however, I've just encountered a real issue after transferring videos made on my PlayBook to my PC. I did this correctly using the Blackberry Desktop Software and I can see the transferred files in My Videos folder on my PC. When I click on them to play, unfortunately, they do not! The folder file just appears as a blank type of 'film-strip' icon. It won't even open in Windows Live Movie Maker and yet my PC supports mp4 format, which is what these files are. I am so disappointed as these are the first videos I've made on my PlayBook and I really need to use them for a current movie project. What's going on here? Not even by trying to convert them to wmv does any use; the converted wmv file is as dead as the original mp4! This cannot be right, can it? PLEASE help!!! Thanks
    01-31-13 01:06 PM
    I've never used desktop manager to move files... I just dragged and dropped once I saw the PB as a designated drive. Perhaps DTM corrupted the file during the transfer. Have you tried a simple drag and drop to your PC folder? That's the beauty of any Blackberry product....the ability to connect it via usb (or bluetooth) and drag and drop.
    01-31-13 01:30 PM
    Thanks for replying, Tsaishen, but I'm still none the wiser! Where and how do I drag and drop these files? What ever I try, I seem to have a video file which only plays on my PlayBook! Please guide this PlayBook dummie step by step!!!
    01-31-13 02:46 PM
    I think what he was getting at was the wifi file transfer. Just google "playbook wifi file sharing" and you should find all you need to get it set up and working. Then you can move files between playbook and pc wirelessly. Playbook shows up as a drive on your pc.
    01-31-13 03:18 PM
    I usually connect my playbook to my pc via USB cable - if you're doing this for this for the first time the you the pc needs to load drivers etc - once this has taken place everytime you connect the PB via the USB cable it will show up as a drive.

I'm trying to remember, but the first time i connected the PB a drive popped up and i had to install the blackberry device manager - and once that was installed everything fell into place.

When the playbook is attached to your PC there is a very simple file folder structure.... And the directory that you want to retrieve your videos under is 'camera'
    01-31-13 03:38 PM
    Bought my Blackberry PlayBook a couple of months ago and am really impressed with its performance. Photographs I take on my PlayBook transfer brilliantly to my PC; however, I've just encountered a real issue after transferring videos made on my PlayBook to my PC. I did this correctly using the Blackberry Desktop Software and I can see the transferred files in My Videos folder on my PC. When I click on them to play, unfortunately, they do not! The folder file just appears as a blank type of 'film-strip' icon. It won't even open in Windows Live Movie Maker and yet my PC supports mp4 format, which is what these files are. I am so disappointed as these are the first videos I've made on my PlayBook and I really need to use them for a current movie project. What's going on here? Not even by trying to convert them to wmv does any use; the converted wmv file is as dead as the original mp4! This cannot be right, can it? PLEASE help!!! Thanks
    It happened to me. I guess it happens when your PC is old and cannot play MP4.
    I solved that problem after using VLC Media Player.
    This program can play MP4 and all other types of videos.
    Search internet and download it. It is free.
    01-31-13 04:34 PM
    try this link
    01-31-13 04:49 PM
    Well, I've come to the obvious conclusion this issue has nothing to do with my file sync - PlayBook to PC. It's the file itself which is the problem. It will not play other than on the tablet because something is radically wrong with it! When I open the Blackberry Video Folder in My Videos on my PC, both video files appear ... but as blank thumbnails. All I'm seeing is the number of the video and mp4 next to it. There is no thumbnail image - rather like a root or data file! When I try to open the file, media player opens but the video appears to be vacant. Even trying to use a converter has proved unsuccessful because it appears there is no viable file to convert! OMG, this is so frustrating!!!
    01-31-13 07:04 PM
    01-31-13 07:13 PM
    What version of Windows are you running? Windows 98? Are you able to play any other MP4 files on your PC? Can you see the extensions for any other video files on your PC? Did you try installing VLC, as suggested?
    01-31-13 07:21 PM
    READ THIS IT WORKS:

I just drag and drop movies from pc to pb.

Just hook up the PB by USB cable and when you see i as a drive letter mine comes up as drice Z then open my computer and click on that letter and go to the folder movies and copy the movie there or vice versa copy to the PC if you want to copy from PB.

Now as for not playing .mp4 well i use VLC Media Player to play .mp4 it plays many formats.

Now what i use to convert movies downloaded or not is Xilisoft Video Converter Ultimate and choose playbook .h24 (not the HD one) as it make to big of a file and convert. This app converts many formats from ipod to iphone to playstation to xbox and more and i have done iphone and more.

I convert to PS3 using the .h24 mpeg4 (not the HD one) as it make to big of a file and i then copy the movie to my USB thumbstick its only a 8gb Fast version though so no delay in playing movies.

Now just because they are both .h24 and .mp4 the PS3 convert won't work for playbook its is different resolution and also different audio codec used, so i have to convert PS3 and Playbook separately.
    mothemost likes this.
    01-31-13 07:22 PM
    I'm using Windows 7 and my laptop is only about 2 years old. Yes, I believe I've played most files on it including MP4 but, as you suggested, I'll install VLC after I've had a good night's sleep!!! Thanks again. Back later!
    01-31-13 08:05 PM
    ... And finally ... my Playbook created videos are on my PC!!! I downloaded Xilisoft, as you suggested, and my videos were converted flawlessly within seconds! I am over the moon! Thank you so much and I send my thanks and best wishes to all on here who have helped. Mo x
    02-02-13 08:03 PM
    What a great thread!

CB Member asks question(s) on Forum

Other CB Members chip with pertinent and clearly written advice

OP fixes their issue

AND WITH NO TROLLING OR SNIDE REMARKS

Thanks to all who contributed
    FF22 and curve-20 like this.
    02-03-13 09:38 AM
    I am having the same problem as the OP but never had it before - ie my playbook used to record as a 3GP before and played fine on my laptop. I have just copied a video I did yesterday to my laptop , the file is saying it is an MP4 but the actual icon is a WMV with a 'song note' across the front of it ?? - I have downloaded both the programs recommended above in this post and neither of them recognise it - please help
    02-11-13 10:53 AM
    Update to my earlier post in case it may help anyone in the future - After downloading a few other file conversion programs to no avail I had a browse in the playbook folders via USB, in misc>android>DCIM>Camera are playable versions of the video's I have taken using the playbook. Not quite sure why they are going there but at least I can now copy to PC and play.
    02-11-13 12:22 PM
    I think that maybe you need a lesson in file formats. The Playbook records video in the MP4 format with an MP4 extension. You did not record video on the Playbook with 3GP extensions. As to the icon that a file shows, the icon only tells you what program is associated with opening the file- it doesn't necessarily tell you what the file type is.
    02-11-13 12:54 PM
    ... And finally ... my Playbook created videos are on my PC!!! I downloaded Xilisoft, as you suggested, and my videos were converted flawlessly within seconds! I am over the moon! Thank you so much and I send my thanks and best wishes to all on here who have helped. Mo x
    Quick question ( and I'm glad you solved your problem)! Can you now ( after converting the files) edit your movies in Movie maker on Windows?
    02-12-13 04:35 AM
    I think that maybe you need a lesson in file formats. The Playbook records video in the MP4 format with an MP4 extension. You did not record video on the Playbook with 3GP extensions. As to the icon that a file shows, the icon only tells you what program is associated with opening the file- it doesn't necessarily tell you what the file type is.
    Maybe I do but I promise you I didn't change anything to 3GP that is exactly what is on the file names when viewed via pc or file and folders from videos I have recorded on my playbook
    02-12-13 07:16 PM
    Maybe I do but I promise you I didn't change anything to 3GP that is exactly what is on the file names when viewed via pc or file and folders from videos I have recorded on my playbook
    Can't imagine how that would have happened, since I've never heard of the PB recording anything other than MP4 vids. From BB documentation- "Supported Media Types on Blackberry Playbook".
    Attached Thumbnails My PlayBook Videos Won't Play on PC-img_20121020.jpg  
    02-12-13 07:30 PM
    Did you resolve your issues? I just tried to download my videos for the first time. I have one about 15 minutes long taken in March. It downloaded fine. Then I had seven to download all taken on the same day within minutes of each other in February. Six of the videos were really short but the last one was 52 minutes. All the short ones downloaded fine. But the long video downloaded only sound. This makes no sense. Any suggestions?
    Thanks
    05-07-13 05:11 PM
    Did you resolve your issues? I just tried to download my videos for the first time. I have one about 15 minutes long taken in March. It downloaded fine. Then I had seven to download all taken on the same day within minutes of each other in February. Six of the videos were really short but the last one was 52 minutes. All the short ones downloaded fine. But the long video downloaded only sound. This makes no sense. Any suggestions?
    Thanks
    Try again. How are you attempting the transfer. Drag/drop from Windows Explorer or using Desktop software? 52 minutes would be long and could be large which is why I suggest trying again - by itself. How large is the file? Oh, does it play fine on the pb?
    05-07-13 06:54 PM
    i had the same problem so i copied it to itunes ( right click file and use open with..)
    10-09-13 10:39 AM