I bought my PlayBook on launch day, and like everyone else I had high hopes and nothing but excitement. But simply put, it was a very rough road being a PlayBook owner, and my patience ran thin like most of you. But I hung on and kept it, and I'm glad I did because recently my PlayBook has found its niche, as the ultimate car PC.

My CD player in my truck started crapping out, and I was going to replace it with a full on DVD and nav setup, but I wanted to stay stock so I wouldn't have to remap the radio controls on my steering wheel. Enter my PlayBook. I rigged up a mount out of the OEM convertible case, bought an adapter cable to tie it into my stereo input, and loaded it up with music. Steering wheel button problem solved, and as a bonus, I don't have to change CDs. But then I started wondering what else I could do to really put this thing to work.

Loaded up the bar for Google Maps, now I have my nav system. Loaded up some movies, now I essentially have my DVD setup. I moved the mount so that the rear camera peeks just over the dashboard, now I have a dash cam. Bridge it to my Z10, now I've got internet and I can stream radio or hockey games or whatever, its like satellite radio but way better. Plus using Bridge, I always get that notification if I get a call/text/BBM, so its like having a handfree system built in. My personal favorite though, is being able to use the Torque Pro app and have all the info I want right there on the PlayBook while my music plays in the background.

The screen size is perfect, the gestures are ideal for switching between apps, the battery is good enough to where I don't need to have it plugged in always, and it slips right out of the mount and into my console if I have to park somewhere I don't exactly trust. It would literally take 3 or 4 devices and a heck of a lot more $$$$ to do what my PlayBook does. It's amazing how much functionality I've been able to get out of it in this scenario, I've never been happier to be a PlayBook owner.
    My PlayBook found its niche-1385056_10151654686742126_773057827_n.jpg
    My PlayBook found its niche-img_20140714_182659.jpg
    07-14-14 09:45 PM
    07-14-14 09:57 PM
    Jeez. Now this takes distracted driving to a whole other level. I sure hope I never come across you on the road.

Posted via CB10
    07-14-14 10:11 PM
    Nice work!

The GIF Exchange C001B7B16?
    07-14-14 10:11 PM
    My personal favorite though, is being able to use the Torque Pro app and have all the info I want right there on the PlayBook while my music plays in the background.
    Interesting! Thanks for sharing.
    07-14-14 10:16 PM
    Sir, I think you just proved to BB what they can do in the car industry if they put a little effort into it. Of course they will ignore the idea, but at least we, the playbook owners, have something new to play with now . Thanks for sharing!

One question dough...how did you mount it on the dash? Some pics with the back of it would be nice. Many thanks!
    07-15-14 02:03 AM
    That's awesome Mine's just a wireless jukebox for the home stereo now (which is still sweet, it just doesn't take advantage of all of the PB's features.
    Good job, thanks for sharing.
    07-15-14 08:44 AM
    What's the app in the second pix????

Posted from my fabulous Z30
    07-15-14 09:15 AM
    Which Google Maps bar did you use? Care to share?
    anon(5597702) likes this.
    07-15-14 12:56 PM
    This is the only Google Maps Bar that is fully functional on the PlayBook and it works great!

http://www.mediafire.com/download/67..._6.2.0_ow.bar#

PlayBook UK BBM Channel C001CB4A1
    07-15-14 01:44 PM
    One question dough...how did you mount it on the dash? Some pics with the back of it would be nice. Many thanks!
    I took the leather flaps off the OEM convertible case, so I was essentially left with a firmer version of a skin case. A hard shell case would probably work just the same. I drilled two small holes in my dash trim, and put two short self threading screws through the case and dash. Put a couple of wide flat washers between the case and dash to help keep it stable. I can grab some pics tomorrow during daylight with the PB removed.

What's the app in the second pix????
    Torque Pro, its in BB World for both the PlayBook and BB10. It's an Android port but it seems to work fine, only thing is that the PlayBook version supposedly does not work with Bluetooth OBD2 adapters (mine is wifi so I can only confirm it works with wifi versions)

I don't have the bar file on this PC, but I can say that its the 6.2.0 version, probably the same as the one linked above.
    anon(5597702) and ViBogdan like this.
    07-16-14 12:53 AM
    My PlayBook found its niche-img_20140716_160606.jpg
    Here is the skin/case thing attached to my dash. Just 2 self drilling screws and a couple washers between the case and the dash. Simple and effective. PlayBook slips in and out fairly easy, yet is completely stable. It hasn't fallen out or come loose or anything (and I'm not afraid to drive over a curb or two in my truck).

That jagged cutout is because I needed to use the equalizer but was too lazy to undo the screws.
    ViBogdan and tinochiko like this.
    07-16-14 09:41 PM
    Would you mind sharing what other working apps you have? I just got one and still trying to fill it up

Check Out TechCraze
    07-19-14 02:15 AM
    Would you mind sharing what other working apps you have? I just got one and still trying to fill it up

Check Out TechCraze
    Why not check out the 100 Greatest ever BlackBerry PlayBook Apps in the PlayBook Apps & Games forum. You'll find some classics there! Enjoy.

http://forums.crackberry.com/showthread.php?t=927131

07-19-14 04:25 AM
    Thanks, I was reading through them earlier, doesn't hurt to find more though

Check Out TechCraze
    07-19-14 05:43 AM
    Why not check out the 100 Greatest ever BlackBerry PlayBook Apps in the PlayBook Apps & Games forum. You'll find some classics there! Enjoy.

http://forums.crackberry.com/showthread.php?t=927131

Also sideloads don't have version numbers or download links

Check Out TechCraze
    07-19-14 05:44 AM
    When using the Torque App how do you keep the screen from going dark after 5 minutes?

Z10 STL100-3. OS 10.3.0.296
    07-19-14 05:55 AM
    I've tried several apps like "Stay On" but haven't gotten to work. I would also be interested in this.
    And OP, great idea and set up. My husband uses Torque in his Gen Coupe but we've just used a windshield mount up to now. Something else for him to tweak!
    07-19-14 06:19 AM
    I have no workaround for Torque going dark after 5 mins when full screen. If you keep it "minimized" in the middle you can keep the screen on using one of the stay on apps out there, I personally have Keep screen alive. I've thought about emailing the app developer to see about adding it right in, but I think it's already there..... the screens stays on when I use the app on my Z10 and its the same version as far as I can tell.

As far as other apps I have on there, not a whole lot.Origami Browser, and a few of the games in App World.
    07-21-14 08:31 PM
    Oh wow that looks so sweet! Wish I could set it up in my Toyota Camry like that!

Posted via CB10
    07-21-14 08:39 PM
    I came here looking for ideas on how I can keep my 2 Playbooks useful now that my work BB is going to be phased out. My employer just assigned me a new iPhone 5C and will recall my BB sometime early next year (in the mean time I have to carry 3 cell phones - I look like a drug dealer). I have already started moving away from using the Playbook at work.

I am going to side load Google Map and see if it fits the bill. It would be nice to have a bigger GPS screen and better live traffic than my old GPS.
    07-27-14 11:36 AM
    Torque Pro, its in BB World for both the PlayBook and BB10. It's an Android port but it seems to work fine, only thing is that the PlayBook version supposedly does not work with Bluetooth OBD2 adapters (mine is wifi so I can only confirm it works with wifi versions)
    Torque Pro works fine with the OBDLink MX and LX scanners. I tested both with the playbook and Z10. They only problem is that It can be hard to pair the device but after being paired, the scanners works fine.

Just check the links on my signature.

Intravino
    08-05-14 12:07 PM
    That is awesome!!

***Stop, drop, and roll***
    08-12-14 01:19 PM