Houston I had a problem…
    I have had my PB for a few months now and today when I powered up it bricked on me, at first it went though the normal PB screen start up then it went black & started pulsing two consecutive red light flashes in the led indicator.

I search the forums and the only way I was able to bring it back to life was via a BBDS OS update, long & short it was a success but it wiped my PB, thankfully I have everything backed up, but it still puzzles me as to “Why”

The reason for this post is primarily because I would really like to know what may have caused this brick, and the only thing that comes to mind is that I downloaded a new app yesterday and until that install I have had no issues. The app in question is the new Bed-Buzz- Free Talking Alarm Clock.

Has anyone had problems with this app, or perhaps another app that might have been the possible cause for a brick?

Needless to say I will not be reinstalling this app, but I wanted to toss this out to the community just in case if anyone else experiences a similar issue.

The floor is now open for discussion.

Cheers
    Last edited by Orbitor1; 07-28-11 at 07:24 PM. Reason: typo
    07-27-11 08:02 PM
    this is not a brick. a brick cannot be wiped or reflashed. that's why it's a brick, and not a "working tablet that needed a wipe for some unknown reason."
    07-27-11 08:37 PM
    if you had the red light blinking twice every 5 seconds, then what happened it was either, a failed update or a corrupted os due to corrupted files, the later might have been caused after you instaled the app and somehow got corrupted in the process or due to beta android player if you had that installed
    Orbitor1 likes this.
    07-27-11 08:45 PM
    this is not a brick. a brick cannot be wiped or reflashed. that's why it's a brick, and not a "working tablet that needed a wipe for some unknown reason."
    actually 'playboy' you are wrong. When a phone/Blackberry decides to die, or wipe itself it is referred to as a brick.

There are many references to BlackBerrys and PlayBooks bricking.

Here is a direct meaning of the word.

"When used in reference to consumer electronics, "brick" describes a device that cannot function in any capacity (such as a device with damaged firmware). This usage derives from the fact that some electronic devices (and their detachable power supplies) are vaguely brick-shaped, and so those which do not function are useful only as actual bricks. The term can also be used as a verb. For example, "I bricked my MP3 player when I tried to modify its firmware."[1]

In the strictest sense of the term, bricking must imply that software error has rendered the device completely unrecoverable without some hardware replacement. However, it is common to use the term for a problem which can be rectified but only by a complex and difficult procedure, often requiring additional software."

so in this case it was a BRICK
    Orbitor1 and BravoZuluDelta like this.
    07-27-11 08:50 PM
    well isn't that special. OP didn't ask for a semantics lesson, he asked for insights to the problem he experienced.
    07-27-11 09:37 PM
    I installed the app in question and have used it off and on for 24 hours now. No problems with it or my PB. It could have been a coincidence or perhaps it conflicts with some other app you have installed.
    Orbitor1 likes this.
    07-27-11 09:43 PM
    Bricked, nuked, broked, whatever.

It's fixed now, no? Did you have the leaked Android Player installed as someone suggested? Messing with any new files, new apps, testing or debugging anything? What was going on before the device was _____ed?
    07-27-11 09:44 PM
    It's also "Houston."

Sorry - Texan Pride.
    07-27-11 09:47 PM
    call me strict. lol
    07-28-11 12:45 AM
    i have the app and my playbook works fine (i have the paid app)
    07-28-11 11:48 AM
    Could have been the app was misbehaving and completely killed the battery. I've seen mine do some odd things when allowed to discharge too far.

Maybe it ran in the background, killed the battery, and that kicked off other problems?
    Orbitor1 likes this.
    07-28-11 02:34 PM
    Thank you all for your valued feedback, I continue to learn something new everyday, it's greatly appriciated.
    For those who enquired battery was at 73% & leaked android was not installed
    If mods wish to close this post, please do, I have all the information I require on this topic.
    Cheers
    Last edited by Orbitor1; 07-29-11 at 02:47 PM. Reason: typo
    07-28-11 07:28 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD