Hi,

Well, I have had my new Playbook a couple of days now, and I've had a chance to have a bit of a play (pun not really intended).

Mostly, I really like it. I don't have much basis for comparison as this is the first tablet I've owned, but it seems to do everything I need. There are a few niggles, the Bing Maps App that comes pre-installed seems to be pretty buggy , and mostly useless(some odd 'effects' with different zoom levels displaying at the same time, and not much functionality, and no option (that I have found) for offline maps). BBC iPlayer 'app' is a bit of a con - just a shortcut to the website, but that seems to work ok, so no real problem with that.
    I am suprised at how long it takes to start-up from 'cold' at least a 3-4 minutes, slower than my laptop, but I suppose I will probably mostly keep it on standby during the day, so that is no big deal.
    Obviously the lack of apps is probably the biggest bugbear, but I knew about that before I bought it, and there are probably not really many apps that I NEED that I won't be able to either get hold of, sideload or find a workaround for (equivilent websites etc). Official apps seem to be expensive too, compared to their native Android eqivilents, but I guess that has to do with economies of scale, RIM will not sell nearly as many copies as Android Market, so they have to charge a bit more per copy sold.
    Wow, sounds like I hate it reading that lot, but that is really everything that is wrong with it. The things I like are too many to mention. Like the external design/style. Love the UI, the browser seems pretty good, and has handled more or less everything I have thrown at it so far. Love the messaging/email app, and the way it puts all my email/message sources in one place. Music sounds good, even with the built in speakers. Video looks excellent - was watching the BBC 'Africa' program on it last night.

All in all, I have to say, I am very pleased with my new toy!

Chris.

All in all,
    tHe.iR1sH and juacas like this.
    01-14-13 09:19 AM
    When you've got used to it a bit, and start playing around with it, you'll find slightly better ways to do a lot of the things you talk about. For example, the iPlayer app takes you through to the Android optimised mobile site, rather than the full desktop one and you can't watch HD on it - which is a real pity, as it's easily powerful enough to watch streamed HD programming, in fact it looks amazing. You can get around that using Simple Browser, but I won't go into detail at this stage, and you can look it all up over the next few weeks.

Welcome to the club!
    01-14-13 09:27 AM
    Be patient sir, was actually far worse when introduced and it keeps getting improved. It is an infant right now with so much potential, wait until they upgrade to BB10 software and see this baby grow up.
    01-14-13 09:27 AM
    Welcome to CrackBerry and the PlayBook world.....ENJOY your new TOY
    01-14-13 09:28 AM
    I'm with you on the startup time....I have voiced my opinion on THAT ridiculousness numerous times in the forums...just put it on standby. Most PB owners never turn it "off."
    The ONLY other b*tch I have about it is Skype! the cameras are awesome....WHY no skype? Since NONE of my friends have BB, BBM video means only two things to me: (1) jack, and (2) $hit
    Again....ridiculous and it BETTER be addressed in BB10
    01-14-13 09:37 AM
    I charge mine overnight and start first thing in the morning, takes 2 1/2 minutes, then leave it on standby when not using it and the battery last all day - easily. I've found all the apps I need (and many I don't) usually a choice for any given task. I've not had any other tablet so no means of comparison except my son's iPad which I played with whilst he was with us over Christmas. I didn't think it was any better at all despite it costing over three times what I paid for my PB. I don't need Skype and don't watch films so the two biggest criticisms don't apply to my needs.

Roger
    01-14-13 09:38 AM
    BUT....the PB display is the BEST....and it's two years old! I also love the UI.....used a iPad once and the home button gets annoying fast if you are used to a PB.....I hated it. then again, I've hated Apple for at least 20 years....I look forward to cheering for it's demise in the next 20
    01-14-13 09:39 AM
    I'm with you on the startup time....I have voiced my opinion on THAT ridiculousness numerous times in the forums...just put it on standby. Most PB owners never turn it "off."
    The ONLY other b*tch I have about it is Skype! the cameras are awesome....WHY no skype? Since NONE of my friends have BB, BBM video means only two things to me: (1) jack, and (2) $hit
    Again....ridiculous and it BETTER be addressed in BB10
    You could give AOL AV a try for video chat. I don't believe Apple stuff can access it but you may find it's good enough for the Playbook with other platforms.
    01-14-13 10:24 AM
    Welcome to the family!!!
    01-14-13 12:13 PM
    Honestly, I've turned my PlayBook twice since May 2011 and that was by mistake. Standby is your best option. Its been WELL DOCUMENTED that the PlayBook does not support SKYPE or vise versa. When I did the all important "RESEARCH" on what I want in a tablet.....SKYPE wasn't on MY list, I guess if it was i would have gone in a different direction. The PlayBook does what I expect in a tablet and MORE without skype.
    01-14-13 01:38 PM