First off, let me say that i am a Blackberry guy. i have used Blackberries for years and will continue to. Having said that, I am not so blindly loyal to their brand that I cant see the nice qualities and features of other phones and operating systems.

When the iPad was announced I initially laughed at it and called it a big iPod but after doing some reading on it, I became convinced that it might becomeva viable computer replacement for me. I bought an iPad on its Canadian release date and sure enough it did replace my laptop 90% of the time. There was the odd time i needed to use a computer to do something but for the most part it worked.

When the Playbook was announced alot of friends and co-workers asked if I would be switching because they knew what a big RIM guy I was. Unfortunately, spending another $500 on a new tablet wasn't in the budget so I just kept using my iPad while taking every opportunity to try out a Playbook whenever they were working in a store I was in.

This past fall when Rogers announced that employees could get Playbooks for $150, I got a friend who works for Rogers to get me one. It took almost 2 months for it to arrive because Rogers sold so many of them it wascon backorder for a long time. Since I received my Playbook, my iPad has become an Angry Birds game for my kids to fight over and I havent looked back for a moment. There are some key reasons why my Playbook has become my only computer that I use anymore.

1) The Size - I love the 7" form factor compared to the 10". The advantage isnt just size, though thats huge, its also better for playing games on and I really don't find I miss the larger screen.
    2) Real Multi-Tasking - Switching between apps with a swipe is amazing. I never used the multi-tasking on the iPad because I found it just as easy to close one app and open the second. On the Playbook, you just swipe from the bezel and youre in the other app. Love it!
    3) Bridge -I know RIM gets dumped on alot for releasing the Playbook without native email but if you are a BlackBerry owner, bridge is awesome. I can be working on a document and chatting on bbm at the same time on the same device with the awesome multi-tasking this thing has. i also like the fact that everything I do on one device (sort, delete email, etc.) is done on the other device at the same time. No surprise that my iPad and BB didnt like each other nearly enough to do that.
    4) Mouse Capability - I keep a bluetooth keyboard and mouse on my desk at work. When I go in I turn them both on and my Playbook becomes my monitor.
    5) HDMI Out - I havent had the chance to do this yet but I'm going to put a 42 inch tv on the opposite wall of my office and then my Playbook will stop being my monitor. Instead, I'll have a huge monitor to work on and it will be awesome.
    6) Full browsing - It is great to have full websurfing ability again.
    7) The BlackBerry Way - One review of the Playbook that I read stated that if you liked BlackBerry then you would like the UI of the Playbook. This is something that I have found to be very true. Its not that I'm an Apple hater, I just like the way BlackBerry does things.

So theres my two cents on why I am now a Playbook user and sticking with it. i am looking forward to OS 2.0 but the Playbook right now does everything I want it to do and it does it well.

I know there are people who say that tablets are useless but my iPad replaced my laptop successfully and my Playbook has replaced that. i love this device.
    11-09-11 02:20 AM
    I echo 1, 2, 3, 6, and 7. (Just not ready for mouse and 42" monitor.)
    11-09-11 02:55 AM
    As the owner of an iPad and a 7 inch tablet I cant really recognize what you're writing about. Especially the stuff about "closing apps" kinda makes me doubt if you really have an iPad/gave it a try.

And more to the point, there's not a single of your points that's particularly unique to the Playbook. Multitasking for all practical purposes works just as well on an iPad or Android (with a slight advantage for the iPad IMHO) and I got no idea why you point out HDMI as a particular advantage, when you can also connect an iPad to a HDTV with a simple cable.

If that particular functionality really appeals to you, the Playbook has an additional disadvantage by not having wireless streaming. That's available on iPad through AirPlay, and android tablets like my own 7 inch Iconia through DLNA.

Same goes for Bluetooth etc., so I guess it all comes down to personal preferences. If you like the Playbook that's great, but are you sure you gave other platforms a chance? As I mentioned none of your key reasons are unique to the Playbook, so you might want to give one of the other platforms a chance once the Christmas sales and new quadcore tablets are there...
    11-09-11 04:55 AM
    As the owner of an iPad and a 7 inch tablet I cant really recognize what you're writing about. Especially the stuff about "closing apps" kinda makes me doubt if you really have an iPad/gave it a try.

And more to the point, there's not a single of your points that's particularly unique to the Playbook. Multitasking for all practical purposes works just as well on an iPad or Android (with a slight advantage for the iPad IMHO) and I got no idea why you point out HDMI as a particular advantage, when you can also connect an iPad to a HDTV with a simple cable.

If that particular functionality really appeals to you, the Playbook has an additional disadvantage by not having wireless streaming. That's available on iPad through AirPlay, and android tablets like my own 7 inch Iconia through DLNA.

Same goes for Bluetooth etc., so I guess it all comes down to personal preferences. If you like the Playbook that's great, but are you sure you gave other platforms a chance? As I mentioned none of your key reasons are unique to the Playbook, so you might want to give one of the other platforms a chance once the Christmas sales and new quadcore tablets are there...
    um i would have to say that blackberry bridge is a unique feature to the playbook.
    11-09-11 05:26 AM
    multi tasking on the PlayBook and iPad is like comparing driving a car or bike to work. Sure both will get you there, but one does it better and more efficiently than the other. Which (and I may be wrong) was his point.
    dusdal, Snap51, js8229 and 2 others like this.
    11-09-11 05:40 AM
    I have an iPad and an iPad2. I bought the PlayBook yesterday and I love it!
    First, it is not an Apple product. i just don't like all the hype about that brand. Second, the size is great and really makes it portable. I am carrying it around all the time. Third, the complementarity with the smartphone (9900) is awesome! Everything is synced by definition. Fourth, it is great to need only one dataplan for both devices.
    Jake Storm, dusdal, AggreX and 2 others like this.
    11-09-11 06:11 AM
    I agree. My wife has an iPad for work and she doesn't use it.
    11-09-11 06:19 AM
    I have an iPad and an iPad2. I bought the PlayBook yesterday and I love it!
    First, it is not an Apple product. i just don't like all the hype about that brand. Second, the size is great and really makes it portable. I am carrying it around all the time. Third, the complementarity with the smartphone (9900) is awesome! Everything is synced by definition. Fourth, it is great to need only one dataplan for both devices.
    "M" and "Q" might not have the authority to approve the expense of three tablets.LOL.
    11-09-11 06:22 AM
    Maybe its my limited use of multi tasking on the PB, but i don't see what it does better than the iPad. Especially after iOS 5. I do like the 7" screen option for portability though.
    11-09-11 06:40 AM
    I really don't understand the discussion here, The iPad and Playbook are different devices that fit people with different needs and wants. (It's like comparing VHS with DVD)

I owe an iPad 2 too and to PB and I'n very happy with both. I will miss both equally if one falls out. No shame in liking one more than the other or liking both. Say one thing about one device and the other come with "but this" and "but that" about the other.

You like the iPad? Good for you! You like the PB more? Good for you too! You like them both? Great!
    11-09-11 07:57 AM

I used my iPad as my own main computer for over a year and you say I didnt really give it a try? I am not so sure you really read my post. I didn't insult any other OS's in my post so I'm not sure why you feel the need to so vigorously defend them. I was simply sharing my story on how and why I have found the Playbook to be a great solution for me.
    bennavere and dusdal like this.
    11-09-11 10:12 AM
    multi tasking on the PlayBook and iPad is like comparing driving a car or bike to work. Sure both will get you there, but one does it better and more efficiently than the other. Which (and I may be wrong) was his point.
    I wouldnt say that multitasking on the Playbook is THAT bad... Sure it's less efficient with a lot of apps open, than on an iPad, and sure it's way less memory efficient than on the iPad, but surely it's not a bike! It's probably more like a scooter to iPads car than a bike...

And as for Bridge being a unique feature? It's more a bug than a feature no? It's a poor replacement for on-device email which def. isn't a unique feature. I got multiple mailboxes and a gmail synced on both my iPad and Android tablet...
    11-09-11 10:14 AM
    I owned an islouch. So happy to own a real device now. Love my PB.
    11-09-11 10:28 AM
    I don't believe the original poster has ever used an iPad, or a Playbook with the bridge, the performance of the bridge is terrible especially compared to even the original iPad. Plus arguments like "real multitasking" are pure nonsense, especially when you consider the iPads Unix roots compared to the non multitasking QNX roots.
    11-09-11 10:37 AM
    I don't believe the original poster has ever used an iPad, or a Playbook with the bridge, the performance of the bridge is terrible especially compared to even the original iPad. Plus arguments like "real multitasking" are pure nonsense, especially when you consider the iPads Unix roots compared to the non multitasking QNX roots.
    QNX is all about multitasking. Your "considerations" are not based in fact.

The bridge browser works great for me.
    11-09-11 10:44 AM
    So wait...a person cannot even express his OWN PERSONAL experience without people disagreeing with a PERSONAL experience/opinon? I suppose if you don't like the PB, no one else can...

People will like different things...some will like/love their PB no matter how much you don't, try to understand that people before you answer a post. Not every post has to turn into how much better another device is.
    erhan8 likes this.
    11-09-11 10:52 AM
    If a person's opinion is based on misinformation, then yes, people can disagree with that personal opinion.

Someone is free to believe that 2 + 2 = 5, but I'm free to choose to disagree with their opinion.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-09-11 11:09 AM
    It is my personal opinion that the original poster is fabricating his story.
    11-09-11 11:16 AM
    I really don't understand the discussion here, The iPad and Playbook are different devices that fit people with different needs and wants. (It's like comparing VHS with DVD)

I owe an iPad 2 too and to PB and I'n very happy with both. I will miss both equally if one falls out. No shame in liking one more than the other or liking both. Say one thing about one device and the other come with "but this" and "but that" about the other.

You like the iPad? Good for you! You like the PB more? Good for you too! You like them both? Great!
    Excellent post and quite valid, to me at least, since you own both devices.
    11-09-11 11:17 AM
    If a person's opinion is based on misinformation, then yes, people can disagree with that personal opinion.

Someone is free to believe that 2 + 2 = 5, but I'm free to choose to disagree with their opinion.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    I think important free to call that person an ***** as well lol.
    11-09-11 11:18 AM
    Your glaring ignorance of the QNX OS renders your opinions wholly suspect.
    11-09-11 11:40 AM
    I am the original poster and that is my experience. I'm not sure why you feel the need to defend the honor of Apple. I think they're doing okay on their own. I own and used an iPad for over a year, I got a Playbook, I like my Playbook and I decided I would put a post on a forum to BlackBerry users sharing why I like my Playbook.

Get over the fact that it may be a different opinion than yours.
    11-09-11 11:44 AM
    how would i pair a logitech mx anywhere mouse with my playbook? i want some mouse capability!
    11-09-11 11:49 AM
    I am the original poster and that is my experience. I'm not sure why you feel the need to defend the honor of Apple. I think they're doing okay on their own. I own and used an iPad for over a year, I got a Playbook, I like my Playbook and I decided I would put a post on a forum to BlackBerry users sharing why I like my Playbook.

Get over the fact that it may be a different opinion than yours.
    They can't. Apparently if you do not see that the Playbook or anything else Blackberry related is crud compared to basically anything else out there, especially Apple, then you're either ignorant, in denial, or a liar. In their words a BB-Fanboy.

OP states his case in a fairly even handed way too and he get called out.

Oh wait, or should he ignore the comments posted in this thread? Let the "diverse opinions" enrich the forums? Have a thinker skin? Grow some balls?

Rubbish.
    Jake Storm, Snap51 and PatrickMJS like this.
    11-09-11 12:51 PM
    [QUOTE=CrackedBarry;6837978] and I got no idea why you point out HDMI as a particular advantage, when you can also connect an iPad to a HDTV with a simple cable.
    QUOTE]

A simple cable and this. I think the OP meant he can just use HDMI right out of the box without having to buy a dongle.
    Jake Storm likes this.
    11-09-11 01:30 PM
54 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD