I'm super happy to help you. I am like you from what I see on the profile. Torch 9800? On ATT?
    I have the torch and have ATT. I don't have the tether because ATT charges for it, but using the bridge is free, for email, bbm, contacts, calender, memopad, tasks, and even to view files on the phone. You pay for the tether only if you use the BB to surf the web on the PB. I don't because you CAN use it wifi only and do it all. Just know there is no native email on the PB so you would have to do it via the browser.
    What OS are the Acer tablets? Because I know the feeling of missing something, my cousin has a nook color rooted and custom ROM loaded. Its great but I always felt it was missing something. Could never pin point it. And maybe that's because I couldn't get "at home" with it. I have always been a BB. And when I got the PB it felt "at home" my wife on the other hand is ok with it she is a android lady. Hope this answers most if not all of your questions. I will answer anymore you have to the best I can.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    dfb8085 likes this.
    09-09-11 11:44 AM
    No, but you still have to type with your thumbs. With the Ipad, you have the choice of thumbs vs. real typing. It's one of the few advantages of a 10 inch screen and disadvantages of a 7.
    With the PB, you get the ability to use portrait mode to type. It's still thumbs, but i find it much faster. If RIM ever gets autocorrect I'll call it a draw.
    09-09-11 12:42 PM
    With the PB, you get the ability to use portrait mode to type. It's still thumbs, but i find it much faster. If RIM ever gets autocorrect I'll call it a draw.
    Keep in mind that iOS 5 is adding a split keyboard, as announced a couple months back.

iOS 5 finally brings a split keyboard to the iPad

Like I said, feature comparisons can be carried on indefinitely.
    09-09-11 01:02 PM
    which is faster, using 2 thumbs or all ten fingers?

For comparisons sake, whenver u get to a computer try typing with two fingers, then with all ten. tell me which one is faster
    09-09-11 01:26 PM
    which is faster, using 2 thumbs or all ten fingers?

For comparisons sake, whenver u get to a computer try typing with two fingers, then with all ten. tell me which one is faster
    I touchtype just fine on my Playbook in landscape mode with it propped up in my case at a 45 degree angle. Pretty darn quickly too.
    09-09-11 02:02 PM
    dakid2k6 thanks for the help. The acer runs android honeycomb which is version 3.0. Pretty slick really wifi only. the most important thing to me in a tablet is the ability to get on the web regardless of where I am. I use one in some locations where no wifi exist and instead of driving to the nearest mcdonalds to get wifi if it had 3g i could just jump right on and go. Don't really like the idea of one piece of gear being somewhat dependent on another to perform functions. I love BB and will stay with their phones but its looking more and more like a Ipad2 is in my future. At least I can activate 3g on a monthly basis with no contract. But thats the only reason. Only one on the market you can do that with that i know of
    09-09-11 04:09 PM
    It is so hard to sit here in the comfort of ones living room and make sense of it all. I am so afraid that I will buy the wrong thing and be sorry later. I have two Acer A500 tablets laying within reach. One each for my wife and I. Nothing wrong with them but seems they are lacking something. Only thing is that I can't put my finger on what that something is. I can tell you one thing I am a BB fan and wish like heck ATT would hurry the heck up and get the new phones released. So cut through the case. can I get on the internet via wifi without the Playbook being bridged(tethered) to the phone? Does it allow email,messaging without use of the phone? Bridging is allowed/not allowed depending on what carrier you have?
    Yes Playbook is primarily a Wifi tablet and rest-all is an add-on bonus when you bridge it your blackberry, ATT is the only carrier which is charging for the browsing via Bridge but it allows email,calendar and BBM via bridge free of cost. However there are ways to bypass ATT by downloading the bridge app from sites like crackberry forums instead of getting it from the appworld.
    09-09-11 04:32 PM
    A very good review from the OP. But he left out a few hardware advantages of the PB over the ipad 2. The PB has great sounding front facing stereo speakers, dual mics, great front and rear cameras which record in 1080p each, built in HDMI out, and play/pause button. RIM just needs to deliver with OS 2.0 and the Android player and it's a win for us.
    09-09-11 04:42 PM
    This kind of thing will go on forever. Each device has strengths and weaknesses, and each has many satisfied owners, and any claim of either device being "better" is purely subjective.
    Yes, that's true. However what I don't get is why reviewers and fans don't blame on Ipad's isssues being the same dealbreakers when in Playbook?
    09-09-11 05:27 PM
    Yes, that's true. However what I don't get is why reviewers and fans don't blame on Ipad's isssues being the same dealbreakers when in Playbook?
    Do you have an example?
    09-09-11 05:41 PM
    Ain't you read the initial post in this thread ?
    09-09-11 05:53 PM
    Ain't you read the initial post in this thread ?
    Okay, we'll look at those. Regarding what's on the first page, sure, the PlayBook keyboard is no less featured than the iPad's. But remember, according to RIM, the PlayBook is a "professional" grade tablet, and based on that I expect something stronger than the iPad. Similarly, regarding the ability to attach peripherals and/or SD card slot, etc, the same thing applies. If you're going to claim the PlayBook is a solid product for professionals or that "amateur hour is over," it's not enough to say "well, the iPad doesn't have that either."

As an aside though, I'd love to see the reviews were someone complains about first page characters or SD card slots. The former I've never read anywhere else, and the latter never ignores the absence of card slots on the iPad. But I admit I haven't read every review out there.
    09-09-11 07:10 PM
    I will believe ANYONE can lay ANY tablet down on a table & type away with 10 fingers just as good and fast as a computor keyboard when I see it! thats bull
    09-09-11 10:36 PM
    FYI, the Ipad keyboard blows the PlayBook out of the water. I remember seeing someone taking notes in a meeting with it flat on the table and he was typing like it was a regular computer keyboard.

I have never seen someone type that fast on any device that wasnt a computer, but as far as productivity, between the Speed, Accuracy, and AutoCorrect, the Ipad destroys every tablet in its way.
    But have you ever used the keyboard on both?
    The iPad keyboard is very good and has autocorrect, which Playbook doesn't. On the otherhand, the Playbook keyboard is "thumbable" with both hands as I hold it in my hands. I don't have to put it down like the iPad.

I feel I get more accuracy with the iPad keyboard, but part of that is it seems to deliberately slow down the response so I can't slam 2 keys or force me to have more time to carefully hit the right key. The Playbook lets me go full steam ahead, and sometimes that is too fast for a touch screen keyboard so I get more errors. If I slow down just a touch, no problems.
    09-09-11 11:45 PM
    This review has a whiff of some odor, can't quite place it, no wait, I've got it!!! You're repeating so many of the same party lines the diehards live by, I really don't believe you're a newbie, certainly not an iOS convert. You're practically reading from cue cards here. The excuses, uh I mean comments, about native e-mail and apps sealed it.
    You can believe it or not. It's the truth. I still have both tablets, and for my purpose (other people's usage may be different), I am leaning towards the Playbook. That doesn't mean the iPad isn't still awesome. For my couch surfing, sure I pick up the iPad once in a while, but for commuting, the iPad is just too big.

If you read my original post, the apps & e-mail thing are MY PREFERENCE only. Some people NEED a native app. I don't. Some people NEED Facebook & Twitter, I don't.

I wouldn't call myself a "convert". I still don't have a Blackberry. I don't have a need for it. If I had to shell out my own $$$ it would not be for a Blackberry at this point.
    09-09-11 11:51 PM
    Okay, we'll look at those. Regarding what's on the first page, sure, the PlayBook keyboard is no less featured than the iPad's. But remember, according to RIM, the PlayBook is a "professional" grade tablet, and based on that I expect something stronger than the iPad. Similarly, regarding the ability to attach peripherals and/or SD card slot, etc, the same thing applies. If you're going to claim the PlayBook is a solid product for professionals or that "amateur hour is over," it's not enough to say "well, the iPad doesn't have that either."
    If you follow that line of reasoning to its logical conclusion, then no "professional" grade device would be without a physical keyboard. And at least a couple of USB ports. And multi-card reader. And DVD drive. And wired Ethernet. Or a replaceable hard drive & battery. It's called a laptop...

I don't believe RIM's line about "professional" tablet, that's a misguided distinction. Many professionals I work with cart around an iPad. The line is really blurring between what is used at home and at the office. If you're going to have a tablet, it's going to entail compromises.

(The closest thing, in my opinion, to a true "professional" tablet would be the Thinkpad Tablet. I thought about it, but the size was the major dealbreaker for my usage pattern).
    09-10-11 12:01 AM
    Here is my biggest disappointment with ipad2... No Flash Player. It was a gift and I could not return it as it would have really caused a problem but if I had been the purchaser I would have bought a tablet with Flash Player. It is very annoying to have to get up and go to the desktop or laptop to open an email or many websites. As an ereader I will keep my Kindle period. Not a big apple fan anyway and this really just blew any chance of my being their customer.
    09-10-11 11:26 AM
    dakid2k6 thanks for the help. The acer runs android honeycomb which is version 3.0. Pretty slick really wifi only. the most important thing to me in a tablet is the ability to get on the web regardless of where I am. I use one in some locations where no wifi exist and instead of driving to the nearest mcdonalds to get wifi if it had 3g i could just jump right on and go. Don't really like the idea of one piece of gear being somewhat dependent on another to perform functions. I love BB and will stay with their phones but its looking more and more like a Ipad2 is in my future. At least I can activate 3g on a monthly basis with no contract. But thats the only reason. Only one on the market you can do that with that i know of
    glad to help.
    to your point if ipad is in your future you think, i would recommend waiting to see if a 3G/4G/LTE playbook will ever be officially released and or announced. because then you have a playbook that will truly do what you need.
    dfb8085 likes this.
    09-10-11 11:36 AM
    makes good sense. I would hope something involving the playbook updates is out soon. I am going crazy to get something
    09-10-11 09:24 PM
    Here is my biggest disappointment with ipad2... No Flash Player. It was a gift and I could not return it as it would have really caused a problem but if I had been the purchaser I would have bought a tablet with Flash Player. It is very annoying to have to get up and go to the desktop or laptop to open an email or many websites. As an ereader I will keep my Kindle period. Not a big apple fan anyway and this really just blew any chance of my being their customer.
    If you really in need of flash and don't mine spending $1 or $5. Try to search puffin or iswifter in app store.
    You'd be surprised what they can do! (I tried both and use iswifter currently cuz its smoother)

Sent from my Dell Streak using Tapatalk
    09-11-11 12:10 AM
45 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD