Hello Crackberry Nation!

Today is my second day with the Blackberry Playbook and I'm more disappointed with it then impressed. So I'm going to talk firstly on the positives because it's short then end with what really disappointed me with the Playbook.

Positives:
    Right now I'm currently typing everything using my Playbook. I'll start with the touch keyboard. I find it a lot easier to type with the Playbook in portrait mode then landscape.

The touch screen dynamics between navigating through the home screen and between applications I find to be awesome and easy to use

The multi-tasking between applications is fine but i feel like it needs more work. When i open more than four applications, one gets taken off like the Playbook cant handle it

What i find alot easier when transferring files from to the Playbook is that you don't need to convert the files to a certain format to play the file. For example i can just drag a movie into the Playbook that i've just downloaded and it will play auto matically

By far, the best feature the Playbook has over the other tablet is that the browser has flash which makes the browsing experience that much better. Being able to browse the Crackberry website and watch the youtube embedded videos is friggen awesome. Also, today i was able to watch an NBA playoff game with the browser...SOOOOO COOOOL

Negatives:
    I was watching a video on the Playbook review and watched the Blackberry Bridging and the guy commented saying something along the lines of BBM isnt present on this model but it better be on it when it's released...i paraphrased but obviously RIM didnt follow through. How does a tablet get released without a Contact, Calendar, and for RIM NO BBM! What is that? There is no Notepad either but does have Word Document. I was extremely disappointed to bridge my 9700 and not be able to use BBM.

With the keyboard, or typing in general, the Playbook doesn't even have Autotext! Autotext only works within the Bridging of your Blackberry apps. With this review I'm writing the word Playbook isn't even in the dictionary and it won't let me add it to an internal dictionary.

There was all this talk of RIM joining forces with Android to provide the Playbook with all these Android apps! Soo the Playbook gets released and users have no Android apps to download and use. The Playbook is pre-loaded with a Facebook and Twitter icon. I thought it was going to be like the Facebook 2.0 and Twitter application but it brings you straight to the normal desktop website. When I'm on the sites i put a check mark to remember me, but it never works. i always have to input my information again to log back on.

The sleep button/power button...what the kcuf were the developers thinking or how small are their kcufing fingers. the button is nearly impossible to push. its tiny as ****. Why wouldnt they just make a button like the play/pause button beside it.

These were somethings that came to mind about my experiences with the Playbook. When I was at staples trying this device out, there was absolutely no one else in the store that had any interest for it. I asked the sales rep how many Playbooks were sold and he replied with the number two! Damn, thats it? As i played around with it the guy informed me that i should just buy it to try it out and in 14 days, if im not satisfied with the device to just return in back fr a full refund. With this information in mind k went ahead and purchased the Playbook and will be definitely returning it. I feel that its not worth the $499 price. Especially with all the things missing for it.

Thanks for reading my small review in the eyes of normal user. Hope to read all of your feedback
    bbaleno likes this.
    04-21-11 01:25 AM
    i would like to quote something here

"Amid multiple reports to the contrary, RBC Capital Markets General Manager Mike Abramsky on Wednesday said first day PlayBook sales likely exceeded analysts� expectations. In a note to investors, Abramsky states that RIM may have moved about 50,000 PlayBook tablets on launch day alone, including pre-order sales. The analyst and his team placed calls to 70 different Best Buy, Staples and RadioShack locations to inquire about PlayBook sales performance on launch day. Reported performance ranged from light sales in some locations to sell-outs, which occurred at 11% of the stores RBC polled. RBC also used Best Buy�s online inventory tool to check stock at 180 additional locations in 10 major U.S. cities, and found that the 16GB PlayBook is unavailable at 13% of stores, the 32GB model is unavailable at 87% of stores and the 64GB model is unavailable at 91% of the locations viewed. As preliminary inventory quantities for these stores is currently unknown, this information is of little use since many stores might not have received higher-capacity PlayBook models to begin with. Finally, Abramsky notes that the PlayBook may have outperformed first-day sales of Motorola�s XOOM and even Samsung�s popular Galaxy Tab, and he believes RIM is on track to sell 500,000 PlayBook tablets in its first quarter of availability. "
    I personally think this is fantastic news. With all the recent negative reviews and harsh criticism like yours, R.I.M. needed some glimmer of hope. Hopefully, these figures turn out to be true.
    04-21-11 01:31 AM
    Different strokes for different folks.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-21-11 01:40 AM
    Mike! the processor is DAMN fantastic and current OS is just using about 50%-60% usage. stay tuned as we get updates like on our phones. PlayBook is indeed a future proof device with a lot to perform in later
    04-21-11 02:05 AM
    i would like to quote something here

I personally think this is fantastic news. With all the recent negative reviews and harsh criticism like yours, R.I.M. needed some glimmer of hope. Hopefully, these figures turn out to be true.
    This is the problem..Fanboys act like they can't see beyond a product that they support. I support whatever is a good product and this PB that I purchased today is a wonderful and fast product..However, it lacks greatly in what its intended to do.. The FB, yahoo, GM and other things are gimmicks!!! these are supposed to be apps and they are simply web pages.. This is horribly rushed and doesn't have any developer support. Its going back soon as I wait on the Touchpad.!!! SMH at RIM
    04-21-11 02:12 AM
    Mike! the processor is DAMN fantastic and current OS is just using about 50%-60% usage. stay tuned as we get updates like on our phones. PlayBook is indeed a future proof device with a lot to perform in later
    If the Touchpad sucks like this is doing right now Ill happily come back..But as of now ill wait. It doesn't do much but browse for me./
    04-21-11 02:13 AM
    I am typing this reply on my playbook, and I think it's a great device. I actually hate auto text on my android phone, and so i don't mind not having it right now. As to bbm, Rim says it's coming, and so i would expect to see it soon.

As to facebook and twitter, there should be an official facebook app coming. There is a video on berryreview from Adobe that talks about the official facebook app being written in flash. Frankly, I love using the full facebook site on the playbook and being able to facebook chat and view flash videos inside facebook. Unless the new facebook app has a lot of functionalities (i.e way more than the current mobile facebook apps, i would keep using the full site). the website remembers me too.

I don't think the playbook in its current form is for everyone, but personally, after having it for two days, it's been great.
    04-21-11 02:15 AM
    I am typing this reply on my playbook, and I think it's a great device. I actually hate auto text on my android phone, and so i don't mind not having it right now. As to bbm, Rim says it's coming, and so i would expect to see it soon.

As to facebook and twitter, there should be an official facebook app coming. There is a video on berryreview from Adobe that talks about the official facebook app being written in flash. Frankly, I love using the full facebook site on the playbook and being able to facebook chat and view flash videos inside facebook. Unless the new facebook app has a lot of functionalities (i.e way more than the current mobile facebook apps, i would keep using the full site). the website remembers me too.

I don't think the playbook in its current form is for everyone, but personally, after having it for two days, it's been great.
    Thats my problem with the playbook though. What is Blackberry's known for? BBM. How is it that their first tablet is released but they dont include BBM with it and we have to wait for it?
    04-21-11 02:19 AM
    Thats my problem with the playbook though. What is Blackberry's known for? BBM. How is it that their first tablet is released but they dont include BBM with it and we have to wait for it?
    To be fair, RIM is only known as a vehicle for BBM to those that really shouldn't be using a Blackberry. If BBM was your only reason for purchasing a Playbook then of course you are going to be disappointed.

Cheers,
    Last edited by Oniberry; 04-21-11 at 02:45 AM. Reason: Spellin and Grammer...lol
    04-21-11 02:22 AM
    This is the problem..Fanboys act like they can't see beyond a product that they support. I support whatever is a good product and this PB that I purchased today is a wonderful and fast product..However, it lacks greatly in what its intended to do.. The FB, yahoo, GM and other things are gimmicks!!! these are supposed to be apps and they are simply web pages.. This is horribly rushed and doesn't have any developer support. Its going back soon as I wait on the Touchpad.!!! SMH at RIM
    I second that...for the blackberry smartphones, theyve developed some great applications for them. For example, for Beta users, Facebook 2.0 is an awesome upgrade, yet the playbook doesnt have a simple application for it. Personally, i think for applications that are being constantly used by users like facebook and twitter, apps should have been created ahead of time to ensufe that they would be on the playbook
    04-21-11 02:23 AM
    To be fair, RIM is only known as a vehicle for BBM to those that really shouldn't be using a Blackberry. If BBM was your only reason for purchasing a Placybook then of course you are going to be disappointed.

Cheers,
    No, BBM isnt the only reason i bought the playbook. I think that the playbook is an awesome machine, but like someone mentioned before, it seems as if it was just rushed. The only reason why i mention BBM is because its what sells Blackberry's and as the Playbook is suppose to be an extension of the smartphone, it should have the messaging application that has made Blackberry's famous for.
    04-21-11 02:27 AM
    Yeah, well according to your post...
    "Thats my problem with the playbook though. What is Blackberry's known for? BBM. How is it that their first tablet is released but they dont include BBM with it and we have to wait for it?"

You mention BBM twice in a post. Walk like duck? Quack like a duck? Probably a duck...lol

Cheers,
    04-21-11 02:47 AM
    I second that...for the blackberry smartphones, theyve developed some great applications for them. For example, for Beta users, Facebook 2.0 is an awesome upgrade, yet the playbook doesnt have a simple application for it. Personally, i think for applications that are being constantly used by users like facebook and twitter, apps should have been created ahead of time to ensufe that they would be on the playbook
    I agree totally.

Seems there was a lot of confusion concerning the Playbook. Oh well, it can only get better eh?

Cheers,
    04-21-11 02:48 AM
    I agree totally.

Seems there was a lot of confusion concerning the Playbook. Oh well, it can only get better eh?

Cheers,
    I hope so. i hope the issues i've mentioned will get solved within the 14 day period i have with the device so I can really try it out. i most especially cant wait for the Android apps.
    04-21-11 07:06 AM
    I hope so. i hope the issues i've mentioned will get solved within the 14 day period i have with the device so I can really try it out. i most especially cant wait for the Android apps.
    Android apps won't be available until summer.
    04-21-11 07:51 AM
    ......I'm not regretting my decision to cancel my preorder and wait
    04-21-11 07:56 AM
    I think if RIM held out on the release any longer people woulda been even more pissed then a few bugs...

yah there needs to be a lot of updates but they will come!

iPad is a fun device for sure but it lacks a lot! and it's too big for me at least. apple does an awesome job marketing their repackaged products and i see no difference between the ipad and the iphone/itouch.. looks the same, does the same, just bigger screen.

the Playbook has a completely different OS on it from their past products so it'll take time..

I just think people need to get over their negative views about Blackberries, especially the media. every product anyone ever launches will never be perfect the first time around! whether it be playbook, ipad, iphone, android phones/tablets!

That's why there are many options for people to find their perfect device.. but none of them will be perfect!

both ipad and playbook are good devices, people need to see them for functional use to THEM, not the rest of the world.

at least the playbook can be fixed with OS updates and doesn't need a rubber band to make it work like it should
    04-21-11 08:03 AM
    And, if there is one thing I have learned from managing projects.. It does not matter if you have the greatest brain trust in the world developing your product, it will be torn apart, and issues you never even thought about will become evident. I have heard the whole "beta tester" argument, and it is true to a point, but the best way to find the bugs and smooth it out is to put it on the street.
    04-21-11 08:17 AM
    ......I'm not regretting my decision to cancel my preorder and wait
    Same here. Especially since I'm on AT&T for several more months. I'm still hoping for the Bridge thing to work out properly.

Funny how many people on the PB forum keep saying that the iPad is inferior to the PB because it is missing a lot of features (mostly Flash), yet in the same breath they will say how so many things are lacking in the PB (BBM, email, calendar, Android Apps), but hey, no problemo, there'll be an update in the summer...fyi, summer goes all in the way into September, so it might be a long time coming (even though they say 60 days from now).

Lots of people drinking the Kook-Aid in here. In a couple of weeks, when the excitement of owning a new device dies down, it'll be interesting to see if the comments are as positive. My iPad 2 has already lost some luster, I really like the apps and everything, but now that I've had it for a few weeks I wish it had better multitasking (e.g. being able to have multiple windows viewable at the same time), better customization of the home screen (e.g. ability to do some widgets), over the air syncing, etc. Still a very good device, but the distortion field has weakened...the same might happen to those who make so many excuses for the PB.
    04-21-11 08:25 AM
    Hello Crackberry Nation!

Today is my second day with the Blackberry Playbook and I'm more disappointed with it then impressed. So I'm going to talk firstly on the positives because it's short then end with what really disappointed me with the Playbook.

Positives:
    Right now I'm currently typing everything using my Playbook. I'll start with the touch keyboard. I find it a lot easier to type with the Playbook in portrait mode then landscape.

The touch screen dynamics between navigating through the home screen and between applications I find to be awesome and easy to use

The multi-tasking between applications is fine but i feel like it needs more work. When i open more than four applications, one gets taken off like the Playbook cant handle it

What i find alot easier when transferring files from to the Playbook is that you don't need to convert the files to a certain format to play the file. For example i can just drag a movie into the Playbook that i've just downloaded and it will play auto matically

By far, the best feature the Playbook has over the other tablet is that the browser has flash which makes the browsing experience that much better. Being able to browse the Crackberry website and watch the youtube embedded videos is friggen awesome. Also, today i was able to watch an NBA playoff game with the browser...SOOOOO COOOOL

Negatives:
    I was watching a video on the Playbook review and watched the Blackberry Bridging and the guy commented saying something along the lines of BBM isnt present on this model but it better be on it when it's released...i paraphrased but obviously RIM didnt follow through. How does a tablet get released without a Contact, Calendar, and for RIM NO BBM! What is that? There is no Notepad either but does have Word Document. I was extremely disappointed to bridge my 9700 and not be able to use BBM.

With the keyboard, or typing in general, the Playbook doesn't even have Autotext! Autotext only works within the Bridging of your Blackberry apps. With this review I'm writing the word Playbook isn't even in the dictionary and it won't let me add it to an internal dictionary.

There was all this talk of RIM joining forces with Android to provide the Playbook with all these Android apps! Soo the Playbook gets released and users have no Android apps to download and use. The Playbook is pre-loaded with a Facebook and Twitter icon. I thought it was going to be like the Facebook 2.0 and Twitter application but it brings you straight to the normal desktop website. When I'm on the sites i put a check mark to remember me, but it never works. i always have to input my information again to log back on.

The sleep button/power button...what the kcuf were the developers thinking or how small are their kcufing fingers. the button is nearly impossible to push. its tiny as ****. Why wouldnt they just make a button like the play/pause button beside it.

These were somethings that came to mind about my experiences with the Playbook. When I was at staples trying this device out, there was absolutely no one else in the store that had any interest for it. I asked the sales rep how many Playbooks were sold and he replied with the number two! Damn, thats it? As i played around with it the guy informed me that i should just buy it to try it out and in 14 days, if im not satisfied with the device to just return in back fr a full refund. With this information in mind k went ahead and purchased the Playbook and will be definitely returning it. I feel that its not worth the $499 price. Especially with all the things missing for it.

Thanks for reading my small review in the eyes of normal user. Hope to read all of your feedback
    Every negative you listed was well known before release.
    04-21-11 08:32 AM
    No, BBM isnt the only reason i bought the playbook. I think that the playbook is an awesome machine, but like someone mentioned before, it seems as if it was just rushed. The only reason why i mention BBM is because its what sells Blackberry's and as the Playbook is suppose to be an extension of the smartphone, it should have the messaging application that has made Blackberry's famous for.
    Well guess what it was and I think everyone that read anything about it knows that. If you don't want to have it and wait for the things that are missing to come don't get it or get something else.

I see advertising works for RIM too as BBM is the reason people want a bb.
    04-21-11 08:49 AM
    Every negative you listed was well known before release.
    pretty sure autotext, lack of BBM were not well known features that would be lacking at release. especially when we have seen BBM on the PB working before.
    04-21-11 08:50 AM
    Of course the PB was rushed. With the pace mobile devices are evolving it is hard to find a device that was not rushed to market.

BB for months said a Q1 release (pre-March 31st). They missed that mark by 19 days which is a # that most people can live with. If BB had said 3 months instead of 19 days all **** would have broke loose.

I will be buying my PB 2-3 months from now when many of the missing features of today have been added. My purchase date will fall in line with the correct release date for the PB should have been. Either you are an early adopter and are going through growing pains or you are like me and are going to let the kinks get worked out.

It isn't the correct way to do business but it seems to be how things are done nowadays.
    04-21-11 09:34 AM
    I agree with Stonedicator in many respects. Of course it was rushed to market! Every tech project is rushed to the market. It has to be because R and D is so expensive and the company needs to get some cash flow going... let's face it, a "beta" testing group is only going to find so many issues. The old saying goes, for every ***** proof device that's introduced, a smarter ***** evolves.

All will be fixed/turned on in very short order.

Why don't people get as all riled up when their brand new car gets a recall sent to them in the mail?
    04-21-11 10:22 AM
    pretty sure autotext, lack of BBM were not well known features that would be lacking at release. especially when we have seen BBM on the PB working before.
    Autotext was brought up in pretty much every review I saw. I didn't see any reviews units with BBM, or any official word from RIM about it. There was no shortage of speculation though.
    Last edited by stranger99; 04-21-11 at 12:40 PM.
    04-21-11 12:35 PM
29 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD