Here's a trick I found in a forum on this site. It helped me with this issue and so many others. Just read the entire subject. In the middle of his post, you'll find your answer.
    http://forums.crackberry.com/showthread.php?p=6867898
    09-10-12 08:00 PM
    That is incorrect, at least, in my experience I have noticed the iPad handles the scrolling really well compared to the PB. Flash is partly to blame, the flash ads cannot differentiate between a tap and slide to scroll and just a tap. Turn off flash and you will have a better experience.
    Flash is one of the top reasons I love the PlayBook. This tablet without flash is just nonsense! I recommend the OP that simply be careful where to put his finger, that kind of situation happened to me probably just the first month that I have my PB and never again.
    Whatever you do, do not turn off flash! It's just cool to open a full site when iowners can't!!!

Edit: if this is the OP's biggest complain I guess he is extremely happy with his PlayBook
    09-10-12 08:27 PM
    If this were the case, Steve Jobs would have said so. He had no problems with stating when his gripes were personal. Flash was a terrible battery hog, and it's one of the primary complaints people had about web browsing. So not having flash support was actually an advantage in some people's eyes. iOS doesn't support Flash, because Adobe couldn't make a version that didn't suck. The fact that it's being phased out on Android just confirms that.
    Thought i'd put in my 2 cents worth. I think that everyone looks at the lack of flash on apple products from a purely technical perspective. In my opinion it has nothing to do with capabilities, resource hogging, or anything technical. Apple has no way of making money off of flash. The company as a whole likes to control every piece of the puzzle and this is how they are profitable. It's the same reason they have a non standard connection port on all their devices. It reminds me of Sony 10 years ago and why i never purchased any of their products. Proprietary connections and accessories kept sony profitable until everyone got tired of their game.

Also think i heard somewhere that Apple is considering changing the connection port yet again for the new iphone. If this is the case, how stupid will the guy that just bought a new accessory feel in a few days.

Tim
    axeman1000 and masqueofhastur like this.
    09-10-12 08:30 PM
    I've NEVER had any problems with scrolling...as long as I'm scrolling, I'm not clicking anything. I hear people complain about the PlayBook browser but I have nothing but great things to say about it. No speed problems or anything. But also, why don't you just use the YouTube app?

The only complaint I have about the PlayBook is the select, cut, copy, and paste options. They can get pretty agrivating at times.
    09-10-12 08:35 PM
    Thought i'd put in my 2 cents worth. I think that everyone looks at the lack of flash on apple products from a purely technical perspective. In my opinion it has nothing to do with capabilities, resource hogging, or anything technical. Apple has no way of making money off of flash. The company as a whole likes to control every piece of the puzzle and this is how they are profitable.
    This article from wikileaks seems to say that both theories are correct. Why Apple Won't Allow Adobe Flash on iPhone - WikiLeaks
    Tkarps likes this.
    09-10-12 08:50 PM
    Thought i'd put in my 2 cents worth. I think that everyone looks at the lack of flash on apple products from a purely technical perspective. In my opinion it has nothing to do with capabilities, resource hogging, or anything technical. Apple has no way of making money off of flash. The company as a whole likes to control every piece of the puzzle and this is how they are profitable. It's the same reason they have a non standard connection port on all their devices. It reminds me of Sony 10 years ago and why i never purchased any of their products. Proprietary connections and accessories kept sony profitable until everyone got tired of their game.

Also think i heard somewhere that Apple is considering changing the connection port yet again for the new iphone. If this is the case, how stupid will the guy that just bought a new accessory feel in a few days.

Tim
    I'm sure that's also a factor, but Adobe could never get Flash to work well on mobile. So the technical reason is true.
    09-10-12 08:59 PM
    When I am on a site with a lot of "clickable" junk, I touch the screen in a clear place near the edge of the screen & drag my finger onto the bezel and scroll that way.
    Awesome tip, thanks for pointing that out!
    09-11-12 01:06 AM
    i would think this is a common problem with any touch screen device....or am i wrong.
    it's not the touch screen , it's the browser to blame.

The simple browser or some other third-party browser use two fingers instead of one to scroll the page. This problem won't happen with them.
    Toodeurep likes this.
    09-11-12 01:39 AM
    I've noticed that as well. Found that it is flash items, and adverts are the worst. If you notice that you have started a scroll on an advert and don't want to open the link, quickly swipe off screen (onto a bezel). Dunno why it works, but it does :/

Haven't seen this effect on any other browser item
    09-11-12 05:08 AM

Tim
    After over a decade of iPod, iPhone, iPad and iPod touch sales, the apple cable is pretty much ubiquitous...very nearly a 'standard'.

Please don't lump this in with Sony's proprietary cables and accessories. They are not nearly as ubiquitous.
    09-11-12 07:29 AM
    After over a decade of iPod, iPhone, iPad and iPod touch sales, the apple cable is pretty much ubiquitous...very nearly a 'standard'.

Please don't lump this in with Sony's proprietary cables and accessories. They are not nearly as ubiquitous.
    Apples connections are proprietary even on computers as they are not standard for anything but apple. I use to hate IBM computers due to them being non standard or proprietary as you had to buy the parts from them or do without.
    09-11-12 07:54 AM
    I also experienced this problem for a few days. I decided an organic method was the best cure for opening unwanted links and poor scrolling . And now before using my Playbook I either have a large bowl of curry or a few loaves of garlic bread. Just a few hot breaths on the screen and the pages go up and down like the NASDAQ on a bad day.

Don't try Jambalaya. It sends it into sleep mode.

Anything is worth a try - once!

Last edited by Anna Key; 09-11-12 at 01:54 PM.
    09-11-12 01:35 PM
    Wouldn't the most ideal solutions be for RIM to create a new gesture in which you could scroll by dragging your finger vertically on the bezel without actually touching the 'screen' at all? That action currently does nothing on the playbook bezel and we know it can be added as a software update because it is already capable of other such gestures. I would think this solves all scrolling problems on all sites, flash or not. And would be extremely useful on BB10 phones as well since the screen will be smaller and our fingers won't be. Seems like a simple, easy to do and really intuitive addition to the gestures...
    Delmeister and Anna Key like this.
    09-11-12 01:46 PM
    A good suggestion Luc. Sometimes I can't even see the very fine scroll line when its present.
    just_luc likes this.
    09-11-12 01:53 PM

I didn't mean to upset you however you couldn't be further from the truth. 20 years ago sony was all over the place. TVs, walkmans, vcrs, everything. If you purchased a tv there was a good chance it had a sony label on it. This is the way of technology. Apple is hot right now but believe me when i tell you, this too will pass.

When I started in the A/V business 12 years ago the hottest lcd was the sharp aquos. The worst was samsung. Fast forward a decade later and samsung is at the top. Sony, sharp, samsung, and even our beloved RIM, have all been to the top. It is someone elses turn for a while.

Technology is weird that way but it seems like all tech companies suffer from the same thing. The inability to think outside of their comfort zone. Apple is no different. Make it white and make it thin. You can only do it for so long before people get tired of it. I can go on and on but i believe i have hijacked this thread enough from it's original intent. I will say no more.

I visited the formula1 site that was posted and didn't have any problems navigating it. I do agree that a better scrolling method would be useful.

Tim
    TheScionicMan and qwang like this.
    09-11-12 05:39 PM
    Ha ha! Really great! Good news! Handsets and accessories! 30% discount! Do not miss it! http://www.ld.com.nu/59
    09-11-12 08:56 PM
    nobody here miss the scroll wheels?
    I think it's the most convienent and efficient way the scroll the pages. On a full touch screen device, it's much more useful than the trackpad and trackball. And it won't effect the design of front layout at all.
    09-11-12 09:01 PM
    I just got my Playbook a week ago, and i have 1,500 songs on it. but i don't like how i cant scroll through to the bottom. maybe I'm just used to the iTouch to where i can just click the letter on the side or maybe i just haven't found the trick but i just end up using the shuffle feature although I wish i didn't have to.
    09-11-12 11:23 PM
    Flash is partly to blame, the flash ads cannot differentiate between a tap and slide to scroll and just a tap. Turn off flash and you will have a better experience.
    Flash is totally to blame for the OP's complaints: it cannot discern b/w a tap and a scroll gesture, so the moment a finger touches a flash ad or video, even if you were trying to scroll, flash reads it as a tap and loads the content. If turninf off flash is a bit extreme a workaround is to avoid a scrolling gesture over videos and flash ads.
    09-12-12 01:30 AM
    I think that everyone looks at the lack of flash on apple products from a purely technical perspective. In my opinion it has nothing to do with capabilities, resource hogging, or anything technical. Apple has no way of making money off of flash. The company as a whole likes to control every piece of the puzzle and this is how they are profitable.
    You're absolutely correct that the lack of flash on apple products is not from a technical perspective. Certainly, if Apple wanted flash on it's products, it has the capability and know-how to make it work. And we know Adobe wanted flash on apple products b/c they publicly demonstrated theire willingness to bring flash to Apple.

But the reason why apple products don't have flash is this: because Steve Jobs was vindictive and was bent on getting back at Adobe. Several years ago (90s era) Adobe refused to support Apple computers with its products, making Apple computers less popular than PCs. To get back at Adobe, SJ refused to allow flash on Apple mobile products. SJ then issued a farse letter saying the refusal was to promote web-standards! Ha, Apple promoting standards...that'd be a first. In reality, the letter was a thinly-veiled public FU to Adobe.
    Delmeister likes this.
    09-12-12 01:40 AM
45 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD