yesterday i made a thread about my battery issue. I saw some weird behavior (draining) when i put my mail sync in manual
    so i did some test

Because the picture speak for itself

no problem with push, or no push with automatic sync. Just with manual
    peter9477, Slepejs, John.P and 4 others like this.
    02-24-12 07:01 AM
    Is this all in standby besides you changing the mail settings?
    02-24-12 07:06 AM
    all in standby, screen turned off, i just turn on to change my mail setting
    peter9477 likes this.
    02-24-12 07:08 AM
    Wow I wonder why having mail in manual is such a power hog...this is why i love battery guru. We can run our own little tests and see exactly whats going on with the battery...thank you Peter for the app.
    02-24-12 07:16 AM
    Can i ask if this was an upgrade from 2.0beta, 1.8 or did you do a full wipe and do a fresh load?
    02-24-12 07:18 AM
    upgrade for 1.8, no wipe, my playbook is new (10 days old)

on another board, one guy tested like me and found on the same issue
    02-24-12 07:19 AM
    Yeah, I don't see any issues here. Saw your thread last night so I fully charged, unplugged. And put in standby. Overnight (just under 8hrs) it went from 100% - 97%. I'm using push mail.
    02-24-12 07:22 AM
    try to read closer...
    push mail is ok

its manual way which have an issue !

(which should be the other way around lol)
    02-24-12 07:32 AM
    Thanks for taking the time to do that. It should help some others that seem to having battery issues. Maybe it will get RIM's attention. One thing is for sure.....Battery Guru is awesome. Imagine trying to explain all the information in that one picture.
    peter9477 likes this.
    02-24-12 07:49 AM
    This seems like great detective work.

I don't see which type of account is involved though. Is that particular combination of settings only with IMAP, so that's the only thing affected, or is anyone with this issue using something else?

I have an IMAP account which was set for Push and 15 minutes (whatever that actually means I don't know... push means keep a channel open, so what's the 15 minutes for?). I changed to No Push and Manual and did not observe any increase in power. Same with Push and Manual.

Is it simply not a 100% correlation, or are we talking about a different protocol?
    02-24-12 08:15 AM
    i have a gmail account.

Push is u received mail when it arrives... 15/30/45min / 1h and so on is ur blackberry check automatically the mail...manual is manual..

is should be like this power draining wise push > timing sync > manual but its dramasticaly different the other way around
    02-24-12 08:24 AM
    So if I'm reading the graph properly, it looks like if we don't want to use Push (for the Bridge duplication issues), the best method to use is Manual with 24 hour interval?

There isn't much data in the graph about this set-up as it is the last one there... is it possible to hear/see your results if you kept it at that setting? I'd still like to keep Push OFF so that I don't get duplication issues (RE: Bridge).

Thanks
    02-24-12 08:41 AM
    My found is quite different. When I bridge my PB to my BB, and enable Native apps accounts (email, calendar, contact with gmail), the device got very hot, and battery drops very fast. After I disabled (removed) all native apps accounts, the battery back to normal rate.
    02-24-12 08:47 AM
    I have "push" disabled and sync interval set to "manual", and my PB is using 1.3W during standby, it is also using 3W when turned on but not running anything.

People would think that combination means "do not sync for me, I will sync when I read my mail".... but something is definitely broken!
    02-24-12 08:51 AM
    I will follow this thread because as I posted yesterday morning, my battery plummeted overnight from near 90 to 13 percent. I believe that I wanted my mail to be MANUAL - meaning I want to retrieve, but maybe that is a fatal setting for some reason.
    CerveloJohn likes this.
    02-24-12 10:35 AM
    I will follow this thread because as I posted yesterday morning, my battery plummeted overnight from near 90 to 13 percent. I believe that I wanted my mail to be MANUAL - meaning I want to retrieve, but maybe that is a fatal setting for some reason.

Maybe manual is always checking but not retrieving and winds up in some odd loop???
    02-24-12 10:37 AM
    yeah maybe

some people could test more to confirm my opinion
    02-24-12 12:07 PM
    Well, I seem to have lost 9% in 5 hours. Much better than the plummet of the night before but still far worse than what I saw on OS1.x on this 64. My next experiment will be to remove the email accounts entirely (I screenshot their respective setups to restoration should not be terrible. It would be nice if there was just a SHUT OFF switch for native email.
    02-24-12 01:23 PM
    Hi F2. Yes, that is the fatal setting, I tested and found setting PUSH back to ON (sync interval will be grayed out and ignored) will fix the problem... someone on this forum said RIM has been notified about this, so hopefully there will be a fix.
    02-24-12 01:27 PM
    I did a security wipe last night and restore. Did not set up email and was at 100 when I slept and woke up to 100.
    02-24-12 01:29 PM
    How can you have manual AND sync interval 24 hours (the yellow highlighted portion of the graph). Aren't they two different options in the drop down box?
    BrizzadMan likes this.
    02-24-12 01:30 PM
    Should throw this up on the betazone PB forums
    02-24-12 01:31 PM
    Wow good discovery...I noticed my PlayBook drained completely after changing an email account to manual also. Gonna switch back to push for now. Thanks!
    02-24-12 01:41 PM
    Guys i was wondering if someone could help me.
    does using the bluetooth (bridged to my blackberry phone) use up alot of battery. how much battery do i lose using and keeping the bluetooth on?
    thanks
    02-24-12 02:02 PM
    Guys i was wondering if someone could help me.
    does using the bluetooth (bridged to my blackberry phone) use up alot of battery. how much battery do i lose using and keeping the bluetooth on?
    thanks
    My three months' experience with BlueTooth says it draws hardly anything. I'm always bridged---I leave BT on all the time---and haven't seen any big problem with 2.0 power consumption.
    zma15 likes this.
    02-24-12 02:13 PM
50 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD