my playbook had the exact same problem after updating to the new os, I didn't accept the video chat agreement, and the playbook became really warm/hot to touch, and the battery drained at least 50% just in stand-by mode overnight! And then the next thing I noticed was that the back of the playbook got a big hump due to the overheat problem...so then I realized I had to hit the agreement button to solve this issue...the playbook became cool once again, but the the playbook has deformed due to the overheat hump, and wobbles when laying on the table This is a huge bug that RIM has to fix asap!

so I took the playbook back and returned the next day...
    The hump on the back may have simply been something that was there all along and not noticed. Mine has a hump on it that was there from the moment I received it, won't lay flat.
    05-20-11 11:40 PM
    i ordered two playbook together, i can tell, the other one that's not overheating doesn't have the huge hump and doesn't wobble as much as the hump one =(
    05-21-11 12:13 AM
    Not doubting it a bit, just seen a number of these and no two are quite alike in terms of the back bulge; some have none or just a hair and some have lots. Mine rocks almost 1/8th inch at the edge, but doesn't have an overheating problem.
    05-21-11 12:20 AM
    I had the same problems massive battery drain and logo on the back always hot

I watched it for 2 days always ensuring I turned off wifi/BT when not in use and did the Video chat aceptance, no change

As my access to App world is limited I had very few extra apps installed so most of these I removed but inparticular was a compass one as I thought it could of been the gps unit running trying to find location indoors.

I noticed that the little setup app did not have bridging ticked as I had done this from the normal settings screen so I went back and re did the bridging which was a bit buggie but eventually it asked me to re accept the bridge

Since then on wifi only (no bridging) with light use my battery has only gone down to 67% after 2 days on normal standby
    05-21-11 03:16 AM
    This should be a selling point for RIM. Our batteries even at zero still last up to two more hours. Ipad can't do that. I had my playbook fully charged and left it in standby the other day for about six hours. I turned it on and the battery was at 41%. So i put my playbook on the highspeed charging pod at 41% and made sure I saw the lightning bolt symbol and it showed that it was charging. I came back to it six hours later in the morning at it was at 40%.

After that, I plugged it in with the normal charger at work and charged it back up to 100%. I used it for the rest of the day and into the evening on the charge with over eight or nine hours of continuous hard use and got the battery down to 5%. I put it on the charging stand again and it was charged to 55% in about 45 minutes. I left it for another hour and a half and it was at 92% then, while I was watching it, it just jumped from 92 - 100%. I used it for an hour or so and then put it back on the charging stand. It was at 87% and it showed it was taking a charge, but when I came back a half hour later it showed 86%. I plugged it into the regular charger and left it. It was at 100% when I checked it after 30 minutes or so.

I thought that I may have had a faulty charging stand, but I am quite convinced that this is a software issue. In standby mode, the battery shouldn't be leaking and charging should always be smooth and steady. I am sure that RIM will take care of this on the next update. I am not yet convinced that RIM has optimized battery life yet and I am sure they will be able to get more life out of the battery. So far with a full charge I can go all day and still have some juice left over, I just hope the future updates will smooth things out with the battery and charging, once and for all. I accepted all the user agreements in all the apps when I first got my playbook and did a hard restart, so I am not sure that had anything to do with it. I think the mother ship may have been running some stuff in the background, while we were sleeping.

*Update*
    Last night I put the playbook on the charging stand and woke up and it was at 100%, what you would expect. I put in in stand by, with blue tooth off and wifi on and was out all day with my kids. I just checked the playbook and the battery level after 10 hours on standby, showed 97%, what you would expect. What ever was happening before was clearly a software problem and has been corrected, by the software fairies. I am sure it was a pushed out update and trust that RIM will have this playbook running as smooth as silk sooner than everyone thinks. I love my playbook and glad RIM is working their butts off to make it even better.
    Last edited by Schlymer; 05-22-11 at 05:12 AM.
    05-21-11 12:34 PM
    I dont want to say the problem is solved but last night I did a reboot of my PlayBook. (first time since new os) and normal battery today.

Just in time too since I'm flying today.
    05-21-11 01:18 PM
    mcjohn

I tried several reboots and numerous other things before it seemed to return to normal

My suggestions:

reboot
    delete all wifi connections
    delete bridging settings
    reboot
    re create wifi using setup
    re create bridging using setup
    reboot
    cross fingers
    maninthesky likes this.
    05-21-11 02:01 PM
    Last night I put the playbook on the charging stand and woke up and it was at 100%, what you would expect. I put in in stand by, with blue tooth off and wifi on and was out all day with my kids. I just checked the playbook and the battery level after 10 hours on standby, showed 97%, what you would expect. What ever was happening before was clearly a software problem and has been corrected, by the software fairies. I am sure it was a pushed out update and trust that RIM will have this playbook running as smooth as silk sooner than everyone thinks. I love my playbook and glad RIM is working their butts off to make it even better.
    05-22-11 05:14 AM
    FYI, I have accepted the video chat EULA and now my PlayBook is working good, no anormal battery draining...
    05-22-11 09:59 AM
    Thank Jeebus for Best Buy's new return policy. I have 2 weeks to test this out. So far, I like it more than I hate it.

As for battery, mine drains to 0% overnight ever since I got it 4 days ago... I thought it was normal (and maybe it is). Even starting from 90%, it still goes to 0%. I leave wifi on and connected, bluetooth is on but not connected. If this paperweight requires me to turn off all connections every single night, it's definitely going back to the store--it's just not worth $500. Nook Color can go for days, and is half the price, granted the limitations compared to the PB... but I really only use it for web surfing and ereading anyway. I just accepted the stupid video chat thing, so I'll see how this goes tonight.

While I'm on the topic of hating, here are the other things so far:

-Power button issue is real. I don't care what anyone says. It sucks.
    -Web browsing through Bridge is painfully slow. So slow it's really not worth using.
    -I often have to re-tap and re-click and re-type.
    -No matter what I'm doing, the battery seems to drain 1% per minute. I can pretty much watch the meter move down, kinda like the gas needle in a hummer.
    -I wish there was a "select all" option for text boxes/fields, because those little blue arrows make me want to use the PB as a frisbee. Or at least cursor arrows on the keypad so I can move around in a word. For example: "antidisestablishhmentarianism" --> trying to go in to delete that extra "h" in the middle of the word requires an absurd amount of trial and error because my fat finger just can't get it precisely between the letters, either that or I need to delete every letter starting from the right until I get to it, then just retype everything again. I'm going to give this the benefit of the doubt and assume it's user error. I'm new to technology. School me please.

Thanks for letting me vent. 1.5 weeks left for me to fall in love.

UPDATE: Accepting the video chat agreement seemed to have fixed it! Went to bed with 80%, wifi on, bt off, woke up with 79%. Hooray. Still might return it, because quite frankly, as fun as it is, I feel like I just dont have a real need for it...
    Last edited by tom888; 05-27-11 at 02:37 PM. Reason: Update
    05-26-11 03:46 PM
    For me accepting the Video Chat agreement fixed the issue right away and my battery life is very good. Before that my battery would die overnight without even touching the PB.
    05-26-11 04:14 PM
    To all the peeps that first had this happening today, I didn't bring mine to work today like I normally do so not sure if mine is doing it, but maybe all of you have some app installed in common and it got updated yesterday and the updated app has some sort of issue where it keeps running in the background but invisible? Possibility? I think it could be, I know several apps I have installed had updates last night when I checked, Air Browser was one, and the FML app was another, and there was one or 2 more I can't recall which.

Might be worth listing all the apps you guys have for the ones having the issue and see if it could be narrowed down.
    05-26-11 04:50 PM
62 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD