Hi all,

I've had my playbook since Christmas and have used it frequently. I never installed a beta 2.0 or sideloaded any apps as I thought February was close enough to wait. I got the 2.0 update Tuesday morning and have been noticing some interesting differences. Firstly these are my observations and I can't explain why so many people posting on these forums have had different experiences with the same hardware and software update...strange.

* much better battery power management. Really noticeable. I used to turn wifi off each night and leave the playbook in standby. I would still have a 15% drop in juice the next day. With 2.0 I leave wifi on and the next morning I've lost 3% only. The battery drains noticeably slower during the day with use as well. Very nice improvement.

* at first I was disappointed the browser had been left untouched. No improved bookmark management or sharing features. No full screen etc... But as I used it I noticed a lot of tinkering has gone on under the hood. It is a much improved browsing experience. Noticeable faster rendering and loading of websites, better scrolling. Overall more of a joy to use. Certainly further improvements could be made but as a cornerstone feature of any tablet the browser is much better now.

* android app compatibility is something I was looking forward to, hoping to increase the number of good apps available. So far I am still disappointed. I have an iPad 1 and all I ask is to have the same or equivalent apps that are on my iPad front Page on my playbook as these are the ones I use most often. The playbook still lacks a halfway good stock tracking app. Multiple portfolio support, multiple exchange support and access to stock news in app please. Stat. No media streaming apps of any serious capability exist. Can I please stream music and movies to my playbook from my local pc please? And the list goes on. So far I have been disappointed with the slow increase in quality android apps.

Overall find the playbook more responsive and touch screen sensitivity improved. The mail client is nice but limited. Hopefully it will be made more mature soon.

I'll give the upgrade a B minus.
    compaq1, cogsinister and DMitch like this.
    02-25-12 08:18 AM
    Music and movie streaming -> Subsonic (PC/Mac). A donation is required, works very well
    02-25-12 09:03 AM
    I'm impressed with the browser updates as they seem to have done a big upgrade to make it run faster and without the quirks from before. I like the fact we have mail now but it needs work to get rid of the bugs. Contact and calendar need a lot more sophistication like Outlook has and the ability to sync them on the desktop with Outlook. I like the new keyboard and it doesn't seem to offer the stupid suggestions an Apple one does. We have to realize it will need some tweaking and be patient.
    02-25-12 09:46 AM
    Overall a major improvement. Battery is night and day better.
    02-25-12 09:50 AM
    My battery isn't better; it is slightly worse. As long as they realize that OS 2.0 requires some tweeks, and keep updating it, I'll be content.
    02-25-12 10:35 AM
    I feel that the battery is slightly worse...not sure though as the pb still lasts a whole day for me.

The browser is much better. A great example is that it renders crackberry so much faster now.

I am having issues with bbm via bridge.

Inability to sync my outlook contacts with outlook is also a downer as I was looking forward to the contacts app more so than native email.
    02-25-12 10:45 AM
    I feel the need to first begin by stating I own 64g & purchased 16g for daughter. I cringe to post anything not positive about pb here because...eventually someone WILL bash you for not praising the PB or accuse you being a troll or not having high enough iq etc etc etc...watch and see.

I too have to give this hyped/eagerly waited os2 update a Grade of "B"
    My battery life has noticeably gotten worse, somethings that used to work do not anymore. Maybe my expectation was set too high but I don't think so.

So, as been the habit since purchasing...I'll wait hoping and being patient for someday for my pb to maximize its potential.

Just to make it clear, I own my pb with out the luxury that most pb owners have and enjoy...having it recognized by my laptop so I can transfer data by usb or wireless! Yes, I have spent countless hrs with bb tech support and on forums to resolve w/ no success. This should at least provide some clue that I like my pb and am committed to it.

I think there a more than a few who are not as "pumped" about the os2 update nor completely dissatisfied. I guess waiting this long...I dare say expected a little more. As they say in sports...there's always next yr!
    02-25-12 12:22 PM
    I have had my PB since Xmas and use it daily here are a few of my observations.
    I have decided to continue to use the bridge for my contacts email and calendar. I like managing them and the added security.
    There are some nice features in 2.0. There are several fixes needed but there always are some minor problems with a release. The browser is very nice and fast. For management of bookmarks, I save all bookmarks to the homepage and then I move them into a folder called Bookmarks. That way I can name them what I want and arrange them the way I want them. The predicted text is nice. The keyboard for passwords is great. The bridge software is fantastic so far. It was delivered on time with minimal problems.
    Upgrade Grade A-.
    02-25-12 01:05 PM
    The browser was good, rendering was fast even on bridge, I can do full screen web with the top right button there.
    The memory management was good also when open several tabs.
    My only concern with os2 was the push n autosync issue that drain my battery and over heating my device.
    So i decision decide to delete my email account, and now I didn't have any issue with over heating and battery drain.
    02-26-12 12:51 AM
    You can still stream videos and music in the Web browser. I have all my music in amazon cloud and can stream all 6000+ songs on my playbook through the browser. Nbc.com, cbs.com, abc.com, and fox.com stream just fine too for when you want to watch tv.
    02-26-12 02:18 AM
    You are not going to keep all of the people happy all of the time, however much RIM try they will never satisfy everyone, I have spent years swapping, trying a variety of different tablets, smartphones, laptops and there is always a certain amount of stuff you will have to live with or compensate for , battery life,size,screen resolution, speed, OS,apps, connectivity, to satisfy most requirements will mean alternating between two devices, at least. I see quite a lot of people with smartphones, tablet and laptop nowadays.
    02-26-12 03:57 AM
    No full screen
    tap the little icon (the little ... screen ;-)) at the far right of the address bar ...

I'll give the upgrade a B minus.
    you're severe ...
    10caryouppi
    02-26-12 04:01 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD