Heh, my wife knows everything of mine locks as I walk away from it. Actually my desktop does something kinda nice, it comes to life when my phone is close to it. (Bluetooth locking by signal strength from a particular BT MAC address) A lot of my work stuff is confidential and such so I'm kinda AR about it, and who wants just anybody dinking around on their desktop?

Wonder if I have the no password bug and don't even know it?
    Agreed - if damage is going to be done to my desktop I want to be sure it was me doing it! then at least I can retrace my steps....
    08-21-11 01:01 AM
    when you did a factory reset/wipe did you restore and then try bridge? or tried it prior to restoring? have you searched for the policy.bin as suggested in the articles mentioned in previous responses on how to remove IT policies?
    Yes, Bridge was restored after the reset, without success. I haven't done the other thing yet, as I now have an open ticket with BB tech support, but that doesn't seem to be going anywhere, so perhaps I will.

The possibly unrelated problem of moving files from SD card to PB is "solved" using SugarSync.
    08-21-11 06:00 AM
    I've come to the conclusion that it is some program on the PB that is causing the issue.

I have two 9650s - one a VZW from my office on BES with a password, the other my personal one on Sprint.

The one with passwork has worked flawlessly, but the one without a password all of a sudden started to flash the password screen and keyboard rapidly when trying to bridge. The only way to get out of that look was to turn off bridge on the phone or reboot the PB.

I recently bought a second PB for my wife and my misbehaving Sprint phone bridged flawlessly. I added my office phone and both worked.

I reset my PB to factory specs (security wipe) and all is working well now. i'm slowly adding my apps back one at a time and will report back when I find the offending app.
    08-21-11 11:12 AM
    I reset my PB to factory specs (security wipe) and all is working well now. i'm slowly adding my apps back one at a time and will report back when I find the offending app.
    Thanks. I think I misunderstood lamnguyen2020's question about restoring. I don't think I tried Bridge before putting the apps back. I'll await the result of your experiments with great interest.
    08-21-11 12:19 PM
    Thanks. I think I misunderstood lamnguyen2020's question about restoring. I don't think I tried Bridge before putting the apps back. I'll await the result of your experiments with great interest.
    I have the same problem and I tried wiping several times with no luck.

I have turned off BB password protection for the time being and am awaiting an OS/Bridge software update to resolve this.
    08-21-11 12:35 PM
    I have the same problem and I tried wiping several times with no luck.

I have turned off BB password protection for the time being and am awaiting an OS/Bridge software update to resolve this.
    It sounds like your issue is different.

In my case, the PB kept asking for a password when there wasn't one.

In tbe meantime, I've restored all of my productivity apps with no issues. The only thing I haven't restored is games. So far, so good.
    08-21-11 11:55 PM
    what i was referring to was, did you do a backup of your phone and restore it after doing a wipe. if bridge is asking for password after complete wipe (like with jlcommander or bbsak) and new installation of phone software something very weird is happening. what i'm trying to figure out is whether or not you have a bad policy.bin file, this would load with the phone's backup file. if you're wiping and restoring your device before trying to bridge, try not doing a restore.
    08-22-11 12:09 AM
    what i was referring to was, did you do a backup of your phone and restore it after doing a wipe. if bridge is asking for password after complete wipe (like with jlcommander or bbsak) and new installation of phone software something very weird is happening. what i'm trying to figure out is whether or not you have a bad policy.bin file, this would load with the phone's backup file. if you're wiping and restoring your device before trying to bridge, try not doing a restore.
    I haven't done that. While I have an open ticket with BB Support, I won't do any experimenting. If they fail to figure out what's wrong (It's been over a week now), I'll try to find out if there's a policy.bin lurking somewhere on the device. I don't know what else to do.

I'd be tempted to ask for yet another handset exchange, to get a "clean" one, but since T-Mobile has told me they don't support Bridge, they won't consider this a device failure.
    08-22-11 12:52 PM
    Was there ever a consensus on the "standard fix" for this?

I just got a Playbook. It successfully pairs to my 9630. But when I try to do one of the bridge apps I get the "password was incorrect" issue. My 9630 is on BES with a forced password, but I believe many are successfully running the bridge with BES phones.

I am running a higher-level OS than Verizon has released. Could that be it?
    08-24-11 04:39 PM
    Was there ever a consensus on the "standard fix" for this?

I just got a Playbook. It successfully pairs to my 9630. But when I try to do one of the bridge apps I get the "password was incorrect" issue. My 9630 is on BES with a forced password, but I believe many are successfully running the bridge with BES phones.

I am running a higher-level OS than Verizon has released. Could that be it?
    I had a higher than normal OS version on my 9780 too, but eventually did a reset to factory and installed the Tmo standard, but that didn't fix it. There's no standard fix yet that that I know of. My ticket with BlackBerry has been open for a week and so far all I've done is send logs. I got the feeling thqt they expected today's Bridge and OS updates to handle it, but they didn't.
    08-24-11 06:09 PM
    The bridge update fixed it for me. It now asks for my phone password I type it in and enter and the bridge app launches like it should.
    08-24-11 06:57 PM
    i unpaired my devices, wiped my 9630's OS, installed the stock VZW OS, reinstalled the bridge software, and manually paired the devices, and everything's now working. My PB asked for the device password when i opened a bridge app and now all is well.

and on Friday, i get to do it all again with a new 9930!
    08-24-11 11:27 PM
    Fixed!

BlackBerry tech support advised me to re-install the stock OS. I did so, and it fixed the problem, and also fixed the problem of not being able to access SD card files via Bridge.

So why did it work this time and not the last time? Apparently some .COD files were missing. I had inadvertently installed a "shrunk" version of the OS on my 9780. As a test, I went ahead and installed the newest available version of the OS, 6.0.0.650. It still worked.

I started taking .COD files out and testing. I need to do more testing, but it looks like removing the VAD files causes trouble. It would be good if someone else could confirm this. Remember to test both password access and SD file access.

Check it out.
    emtunc likes this.
    08-27-11 11:53 AM
    Fixed!

BlackBerry tech support advised me to re-install the stock OS. I did so, and it fixed the problem, and also fixed the problem of not being able to access SD card files via Bridge.

So why did it work this time and not the last time? Apparently some .COD files were missing. I had inadvertently installed a "shrunk" version of the OS on my 9780. As a test, I went ahead and installed the newest available version of the OS, 6.0.0.650. It still worked.

I started taking .COD files out and testing. I need to do more testing, but it looks like removing the VAD files causes trouble. It would be good if someone else could confirm this. Remember to test both password access and SD file access.

Check it out.
    This fixed it for me too... i have a feeling the reason it wasnt working for me too was because i shrunk the OS.
    08-27-11 05:45 PM
    I recall from some past, way, past threads, that VAD is also tied into some other functions and removing it disabled something or other. Sorry I can't be more specific but that's the way my memory does not work!
    emtunc likes this.
    08-27-11 07:24 PM
    I've posted about this before, but I'm doing it again because it's getting on my nerves.

The problem is that, although I can establish a Bridge connection between my PB and my 9780, in order to actually do anything with it, I have to disable the password on the 9780 first. If I don't do so, then as soon as I attempt to access any Bridge file or function, a dialog box, presumably a request to enter a password, flashes by so quickly I can't read it. Then I get another dialog box telling me "Password incorrect" and prompting me to enter the password. When I do so, however, and click the "OK", nothing happens. There's nothing to indicate a password is being entered, and there's no way to get beyond the point. The PB has to be rebooted.

Note that the Bridge connection does get established. I get email notifications on the PB, for example. I just can't actually read them, unless I disable the password on the 9780 first.

If I look at the BB before attempting to enter the password from the PB, it shows "2/10" so somehow the PB attempted to send a password on its own, without my help.

This is my 2nd PB. The first was returned due to audio problems. But I had the same exact behavior on both PBs. The OS update had no effect. Changing the password to something else had no effect.

So...I'm still fishing for ideas for a way to fix this.
    I call shenanigans on your complaint about BlackBerry Bridge mode not offering a stable dialogue box in which to enter the BlackBerry smartphone password. I have verified the functionality this evening after reading your posting because I was curious whether I could replicate the problem. Nope. Everything works as expected with the password dialogue box appearing and allowing me to type a valid password and then accessing whatever feature / application / file on the smartphone that is available in bridged-mode. Have you downloaded the latest BlackBerry Bridge software for the smartphone and tablet as well as updated the tablet operating system and environment?
    08-27-11 08:21 PM
    All that bitchin and blaming RIM when it was your own damn fault. Isn't that something!
    08-27-11 10:04 PM
    I call shenanigans on your complaint about BlackBerry Bridge mode not offering a stable dialogue box in which to enter the BlackBerry smartphone password. I have verified the functionality this evening after reading your posting because I was curious whether I could replicate the problem. Nope. Everything works as expected with the password dialogue box appearing and allowing me to type a valid password and then accessing whatever feature / application / file on the smartphone that is available in bridged-mode. Have you downloaded the latest BlackBerry Bridge software for the smartphone and tablet as well as updated the tablet operating system and environment?
    It happened exactly as described, with the latest builds of Bridge and OS. The cause was the missing VAD files on the BB, apparently. That happened because I installed the OS on a different computer and forgot that on that machine I had taken out the VAD and intro video files.
    emtunc likes this.
    08-28-11 06:38 AM
    All that bitchin and blaming RIM when it was your own damn fault. Isn't that something!
    I didn't think I was that harsh on RIM, and removing VAD is something that can be done on the device itself, without messing with the installation. But I take responsibility for not having reinstalled the complete OS when I thought I had.
    emtunc likes this.
    08-28-11 06:45 AM
    To wipe the device of all its BES policies, you need to execute a "RESETTOFACTORY" process using loader.exe
    08-28-11 06:51 AM
70 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD