I have .mpg videos that my Playbook refuses to play. It says file format unsupported or something.

Please tell me the best way to watch these file formats without the trouble of converting.
    10-21-12 08:03 AM
    I think unfortunately if the playbook won't play the video file (in my experience regardless of the format type) you do need to convert it. The two apps I've found that have been posted in other threads are Freemake and Handbrake. I've used both and they can both do the job.

Free Video Converter| MP4 FLV 3GP AVI MKV DVD| FREE Download
    HandBrake

Freemake has an output option for Playbook, if using Handbrake just choose iPad as output format and the Playbook will play it just fine. It is certainly a pain converting video files, but what I've done is set up a batch conversion and leave it overnight to convert and transfer them all to the Playbook in the morning, rather than converting one file at a time.
    10-21-12 08:16 AM
    I use handbrake as well I find it works just fine on the normal setting.
    10-21-12 01:08 PM
    I can't lug my laptop around with me wherever I go. There has to be another way. Is there no app?
    10-21-12 02:48 PM
    This should do the job: http://forums.crackberry.com/playboo...leased-749422/

EDIT: There is also "QMPlayer", but it seems to be inferior in almost every way (except that you can install it for free as a trial). The interface is fairly poor, and you need to use a second app to find your files, copy the location, then paste it into QMPlayer, as QMPlayer can only browse files using the PB's built in (and pathetic) file browser, which only shows formats the built in player can play anyway. In addition, it's a trial, and apparently needs a permanent internet connection and will apparently expire on the 26th of October. Getting a full license costs $5.99, which is a rip off compared to paying $1 more for KalemSoft.

EDIT: Also, sound seems to lag on QMPlayer.
    Last edited by SifJar; 10-21-12 at 03:25 PM.
    10-21-12 03:06 PM

EDIT: There is also "QMPlayer", but it seems to be inferior in almost every way (except that you can install it for free as a trial). The interface is fairly poor, and you need to use a second app to find your files, copy the location, then paste it into QMPlayer, as QMPlayer can only browse files using the PB's built in (and pathetic) file browser, which only shows formats the built in player can play anyway. In addition, it's a trial, and apparently needs a permanent internet connection and will apparently expire on the 26th of October. Getting a full license costs $5.99, which is a rip off compared to paying $1 more for KalemSoft.

EDIT: Also, sound seems to lag on QMPlayer.
    I'll disagree with a few points you made. First, I have QM, and as far as I know it's not a trial, it's a free app. Second, as far as MPG files are concerned, you don't need a separate file browser to load them onto QM- the native Browser it uses sees MPG files. Third, as to audio lag- I haven't experienced any. But, two negatives you didn't mention- (1) QM can't play HD videos properly, and (2) it plays everything widescreen, even if the video is 4:3.
    Herve5 likes this.
    10-21-12 03:51 PM
    If you tap the "?" icon in QMPlayer, it says that it is a trial and will expire, and gives a link to buy a license. And now I think about it, I never actually had videos with the "MPG" extension. I had the "VOB" extension, although the videos are MPG, so I forgot about that detail. I'll admit I was perhaps wrong on that point. But I definitely get audio lag on my VOBs ripped from DVDs.
    10-22-12 05:45 AM