I want to be able to watch movies on this device. I am a big movie fan. If I can't simply watch a full length movie, then I don't see the point in spending $500-$600 on it. I mean, I heard the browser can support netflix, but they should at least have a movie watching app. I hope I can resolve this, cuz I bought a Torch, so I could pair it with the playbook.
    06-10-11 01:43 AM
    I am sure movie and tv services will be coming, like netflix and hulu. I downloaded 45GB of movies on my playbook, in the first week I had it, but I want to be able to download a movie or stream it directly, with out using my laptop.

My thinking is if the playbook doesn't make your laptop or desktop obsolete, what is the point of owning the playbook. So far, my playbook use time has dominated to about 98% and my laptop sees about 2% use. Just like my video camera somewhere in my closet, my laptop is next to go.

I agree with you 100%. If we can't stream or download 1080p video on the playbook, what is the point of owning one. So, I am sure RIM is working on that and netflix, hulu or better will be coming soon I am sure. The playbook is only less than two months old and most developers were informed by extreme bias media, that the playbook would be dead on arival. The playbook is clearly the number 2 choice tablet on the market now in terms of high end tablets and as playbook grows, it will be a mistake for developers to overlook the playbook, or they will be left behind. RIM is doing a great job and I am confident that your needs will be met.
    06-10-11 02:01 AM
    Just to show how our needs are different, I have yet to download or watch a movie. My Playbook usage is different than yours, so for me, movie apps are not a deal breaker. I obviously bought one and thoroughly enjoy it. However, since I have a Netflix account, it would be a nice perk.
    06-10-11 06:46 AM
    I would really like to see a digital movie store for the PlayBook. Somewhere I can easily purchase and download movies in 1080p quality. They have it for books and music, why not movies and videos.
    06-10-11 06:56 AM
    I would just like to point out that there are many possibilities for this.

Are you specifically wanting to watch the movie on netflix? If that's not the case, you can use Orb to stream movies to your playbook using the myOrb app, currently available on the AppWorld.

The nice thing about Orb is that it also alows you to stream music, pictures and documents to the tablet as well. (or anything for that matter as it has a Web GUI allowing you to stream even to your phone)
    06-10-11 06:59 AM
    I want to be able to watch movies on this device. I am a big movie fan. If I can't simply watch a full length movie, then I don't see the point in spending $500-$600 on it. I mean, I heard the browser can support netflix, but they should at least have a movie watching app. I hope I can resolve this, cuz I bought a Torch, so I could pair it with the playbook.
    There is no reason that you can't watch a movie on the PB. Putting a moive on a PB is a simple as drag and drop. AFAIK the PB will play most files quite well.

The issue with the PB is "how" do you get the movies.
    - torrents
    - rip your own DVD (getting harder, better copy protection)
    - ???
    Last edited by blackranger3d; 06-10-11 at 07:14 AM.
    06-10-11 07:05 AM
    Thanks for the info. I mainly use the playbook for trading, and the browser and flash was mainly the reason for buying the playbook. The 1080p movies I loaded up are for my two daughters who love watching movies on the go. I will get the myOrb app for sure.

I get most of my movies from Pirate Bay. Good quality and free. I stopped buying DVDs when I had kids, because my daughters were using them as ice skates, skating around the house and no dvd player on the playbook. lol If the movie companies weren't so greedy, they could sell mp4 s for $2.00 a download, they would probably double their current revenue and keep the pirates at bay. In Japan the adult ticket price is 1800 yen, or about $22.50 US and a kids ticket is 1000 yen or about $12.50 US, so for my wife and my two daughters to see a movie costs $70.00 add popcorn and drinks and it adds up to a waste of money. Also, in Japan all movies are delayed at least 3 months from the US release date.
    Last edited by Schlymer; 06-10-11 at 07:29 AM.
    06-10-11 07:10 AM
    idk i've had no problems ripping movies i get from netflicks except red dawn, that one had a huge gash in it and i actually had to skip over that portion when watching it. i use handbrake and ummm the other ine posted in the storm forums for converting. i just adjust it until it looks half descent or perfect. im finding around 720x386-416 usually converts the best. i am also a big movie fan, so far the newest movie i've ripped was the dark knight oldest being monty python and the holy grail. the playbook plays full length movies very well, i cant wait for netflicks to make a streaming app. join the initiative and harp on these companies and tell them we are here we want it soon. :P
    06-10-11 07:18 AM
    If you can get the video file, the pb does a great job of displaying the video on the pb or using the hdmi-out to a tv. Methods for getting have been mentioned, some more legitimate than others.
    06-10-11 09:42 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD