So I just downloaded a movie in MKV format but when I play it on my Playbook it says that the file isnt supported. Could it be because of the audio codec being DTS or what? If so, whats a good and free software that I could use to convert the Audio codec?

Keep in mind that Ive never converted any type of video or audio format before so Im kind of clueless when it comes to this stuff and will be asking questions that some of you with experience might find stupid so please bare with me.
    Last edited by luqman24; 08-04-12 at 03:02 AM.
    08-04-12 02:59 AM
    Mediacoder is what i use for all conversion to all devices
    luqman24 likes this.
    08-04-12 03:10 AM
    The audio codec cannot be AC3. So you have to convert the audio part of the mkvs you have.

I use avidemux to convert the audio part to aac or mp3, it's very easy to use.
    luqman24 likes this.
    08-04-12 03:47 AM
    You could use freemake video converter, it has a preset for the Playbook and various other devices built in. It can also code in subs if you have them (srt if I recall right)
    luqman24 likes this.
    08-04-12 11:39 AM
    I also use FreeMake... it' FREE! And easy enough even for me to use...

Freemake | Best Freeware Alternatives To Paid Video Software
    luqman24 likes this.
    08-04-12 11:54 AM
    best app for this is watchmore from app world. it is amazing and supports pretty much all mkv format.

Sent from my Playbook using tapatalk
    luqman24 likes this.
    08-04-12 12:40 PM
    DTS is definitely the cause, PlayBook doesn't support AC3 audio either. Convert it to AAC or MP3 using one of the programs mentioned.
    luqman24 likes this.
    08-04-12 02:44 PM
    There is an amazing app in app world that does the conversion and u can watch while it is converting I can't recall what's its called I think watch video or something like that.

Posted using CrackBerry App on BB10
    02-11-13 02:49 PM
    KalemSoft Media Player for the Playbook will play almost anything.
    You can also set up a KalemSoft server on your PC or use a DLNA server to play videos over your LAN or with WiFi from anywhere.
    bdegrande likes this.
    02-11-13 03:16 PM
    Can't comment on the rest of the apps mentioned, as I've never tried them, and am a tad old school where it comes to manipulating video / audio.

But am a long time user of avidemux, and the good thing about using that (not saying it doesn't apply to the other conversion tools, as I don't know, but it definitely applies to avidemux) is that it will just convert and remux the audio, it won't (unless you tell it to) convert / re-encode the video. That may well save quite a lot of time, if other tools do re-encode the video.

You can also batch things up, at least in certain versions - I had a discussion, elsewhere, regarding the playbook, video, and using avidemux to bulk convert a lot of video (well the audio really) for playbook use - and it seems the batch functionality may have disappeared in the latest releases. But the verson I use (2.5.3) definitely allows you to do batches of conversions, and I'm pretty sure is still available at least from the section on videohelp for avidemux.
    02-12-13 06:47 AM
    KalemSoft is a paid app, but definitely worth it if you play video files. Supports all the formats, and you can resume playback.
    02-12-13 11:32 AM
    KalemSoft is a paid app, but definitely worth it if you play video files. Supports all the formats, and you can resume playback.
    It also will show Folders and their individual contents so you can organize videos (and music) into genres or types. I have a TV, Trips, Foreign, Movies, etc folders and I can navigate to those rather than having all of the videos all mixed together and presented in one long mixed up list.
    02-12-13 04:13 PM
    I have had the same problems with mkv's, KalemSoft solved my problems.....Its the best $5.00 I have ever spent on any app.
    02-12-13 05:10 PM
    Another thumbs up for KalemSoft from me, plays way more formats than the stock player and it supports subtitles too.
    02-12-13 05:20 PM
    Are you guys saying that the Playbook will play mkv as long as video and audio are in supported codecs? (e.g. H.264 and AAC) I thought the Playbook couldn't deal with the Matroska container...
    02-12-13 09:31 PM
    Rename the file extension to avi, you will be able to see it, and if the audio format is AAC or MP3 you will be able to hear it as well.
    02-12-13 09:39 PM
    The PB will play mkv files without conversion or renaming in the Videos app so long as the audio is either aac or mp3.
    02-12-13 10:29 PM
    Great! Thanks guys! Will have to try this out tout de suite.
    02-13-13 01:24 PM
    Another + for Kalemsoft Media Player from me
    02-13-13 03:52 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD