Welcome to the CrackBerry Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Angus_CB
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    2,028 Global Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

Exclamation Movie in MKV format wont play on my Playbook

So I just downloaded a movie in MKV format but when I play it on my Playbook it says that the file isnt supported. Could it be because of the audio codec being DTS or what? If so, whats a good and free software that I could use to convert the Audio codec?

Keep in mind that Ive never converted any type of video or audio format before so Im kind of clueless when it comes to this stuff and will be asking questions that some of you with experience might find stupid so please bare with me.
    Last edited by luqman24; 08-04-2012 at 03:02 AM.
    Welcome back Jets!

GO JETS GO!!!
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    457 Global Posts

Mediacoder is what i use for all conversion to all devices
    Thanked by:
    luqman24 (08-04-2012) 
    CrackBerry Abuser

The audio codec cannot be AC3. So you have to convert the audio part of the mkvs you have.

I use avidemux to convert the audio part to aac or mp3, it's very easy to use.
    Thanked by:
    luqman24 (08-04-2012) 
    CrackBerry Abuser

You could use freemake video converter, it has a preset for the Playbook and various other devices built in. It can also code in subs if you have them (srt if I recall right)
    Thanked by:
    luqman24 (08-04-2012) 
    CrackBerry Genius of Geniuses

Global Posts
    31,082 Global Posts
    PIN
    "Runs with Scissors"

I also use FreeMake... it' FREE! And easy enough even for me to use...

Freemake | Best Freeware Alternatives To Paid Video Software
    CB 5K 50K,100K 500K Challenge Thread
    Thanked by:
    luqman24 (08-04-2012) 
    CrackBerry Abuser

best app for this is watchmore from app world. it is amazing and supports pretty much all mkv format.

Sent from my Playbook using tapatalk
    Thanked by:
    luqman24 (08-04-2012) 
    CrackBerry Addict

PIN
    PM me

DTS is definitely the cause, PlayBook doesn't support AC3 audio either. Convert it to AAC or MP3 using one of the programs mentioned.
    Taylor Byrnes

Check out my apps in BlackBerry World - Developer of Memo Pad, VLC Remote, and more
    Z10 Limited Edition + Dev Alpha C + PlayBook
    Thanked by:
    luqman24 (08-04-2012) 
    CrackBerry Abuser

There is an amazing app in app world that does the conversion and u can watch while it is converting I can't recall what's its called I think watch video or something like that.

Posted using CrackBerry App on BB10
    CrackBerry Master

Global Posts
    1,188 Global Posts

KalemSoft Media Player for the Playbook will play almost anything.
    You can also set up a KalemSoft server on your PC or use a DLNA server to play videos over your LAN or with WiFi from anywhere.
    Z30, Nexus 4, Kobo Arc 64GB, Playbook 16GB
    bdegrande likes this.
    CrackBerry Addict

Can't comment on the rest of the apps mentioned, as I've never tried them, and am a tad old school where it comes to manipulating video / audio.

But am a long time user of avidemux, and the good thing about using that (not saying it doesn't apply to the other conversion tools, as I don't know, but it definitely applies to avidemux) is that it will just convert and remux the audio, it won't (unless you tell it to) convert / re-encode the video. That may well save quite a lot of time, if other tools do re-encode the video.

You can also batch things up, at least in certain versions - I had a discussion, elsewhere, regarding the playbook, video, and using avidemux to bulk convert a lot of video (well the audio really) for playbook use - and it seems the batch functionality may have disappeared in the latest releases. But the verson I use (2.5.3) definitely allows you to do batches of conversions, and I'm pretty sure is still available at least from the section on videohelp for avidemux.
    CrackBerry Abuser

KalemSoft is a paid app, but definitely worth it if you play video files. Supports all the formats, and you can resume playback.

Quote Originally Posted by tovento View Post
    KalemSoft is a paid app, but definitely worth it if you play video files. Supports all the formats, and you can resume playback.
    It also will show Folders and their individual contents so you can organize videos (and music) into genres or types. I have a TV, Trips, Foreign, Movies, etc folders and I can navigate to those rather than having all of the videos all mixed together and presented in one long mixed up list.
    CrackBerry User

Quote Originally Posted by tovento View Post
    I have had the same problems with mkv's, KalemSoft solved my problems.....Its the best $5.00 I have ever spent on any app.
    64 GB Playbook and very happy with it even without BB10
    CrackBerry Newbie

Another thumbs up for KalemSoft from me, plays way more formats than the stock player and it supports subtitles too.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    101 Global Posts

Are you guys saying that the Playbook will play mkv as long as video and audio are in supported codecs? (e.g. H.264 and AAC) I thought the Playbook couldn't deal with the Matroska container...
    CrackBerry Newbie

Rename the file extension to avi, you will be able to see it, and if the audio format is AAC or MP3 you will be able to hear it as well.
    CrackBerry Genius

The PB will play mkv files without conversion or renaming in the Videos app so long as the audio is either aac or mp3.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    101 Global Posts

Great! Thanks guys! Will have to try this out tout de suite.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Another + for Kalemsoft Media Player from me

BB Bold™ 9900 on 7.1.0.912 with BL Ultimate Hybrid RC14
    BB Bold™ 9320 on 7.1.0.907 with BL Ultimate Hybrid RC14
    Both on Virgin UK Network (Runs on Tmobile / Orange)

BB Bold™ 9810 on 7.1.0.861 with BL Ultimate Hybrid RC14