Welcome to the CrackBerry Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Results 1 to 20 of 20
Like Tree11Likes
  • 9 Post By kevin.mcca
  • 1 Post By JosephRuff
  1. kevin.mcca's Avatar
    CrackBerry User

    Posts
    27 Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

    Default Mounted PlayBook on BMW E34

    Hi everyone! Just wanted to share with you guys MY way of mounting a PlayBook on a car. I uploaded a picture of the original radio of my BMW and the transformation I did with the PlayBook. The volume can be controlled using a RCA I/O volume control http://i.ebayimg.com/05/!B2PRLCQCGk~...i)KVg~~_35.JPG. The PlayBook's panel it's moved by a Miniature Linear Actuator ( L12 12V 50mm 100:1 PLC/RC Miniature Linear Actuator - RobotShop )
    Here's a video of the panel working

    Hope you like it!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Mounted PlayBook on BMW E34-dsc04367.jpg   Mounted PlayBook on BMW E34-dsc04368.jpg   Mounted PlayBook on BMW E34-dsc04369.jpg   Mounted PlayBook on BMW E34-dsc04379.jpg   Mounted PlayBook on BMW E34-dsc04380.jpg  

    Mounted PlayBook on BMW E34-dsc04383.jpg   Mounted PlayBook on BMW E34-original-radio.jpg  
    Thanked by 4:
    AggreX (01-10-2012),  BERaddict (01-11-2012),  perry34 (01-11-2012),  tonyron227 (01-10-2012) 
  2. westcoaststyle's Avatar
    CrackBerry Abuser

    Posts
    456 Posts
    Global Posts
    457 Global Posts
    PIN
    22C602A1
    #2  

    Default

    What year is your E34? I have a '95 E36 and was wondering how it would look in it. Yours looks pretty nice.
    "West side, when we ride, come equipped with game..." - Tupac Amaru Shakur
  3. kevin.mcca's Avatar
    CrackBerry User

    Posts
    27 Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #3  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by westcoaststyle View Post
    What year is your E34? I have a '95 E36 and was wondering how it would look in it. Yours looks pretty nice.
    '90. Thanks!
  4. justincase1911's Avatar
    CrackBerry Abuser

    Posts
    265 Posts
    #4  

    Default

    Very nice. I have a feeling I will end up doing this in my Ram Truck sooner or later.
    The Lesser Of Two Evils Is Still Evil
  5. JosephRuff's Avatar
    CrackBerry Abuser

    Posts
    242 Posts
    #5  

    Default

    looks damn good. very nice job.
    DrBerko likes this.
  6. Chaddface's Avatar
    CrackBerry Genius

    Posts
    3,513 Posts
    #6  

    Default

    You had to move the HVAC contronls too? That's no small task. Good job.
    The PB is the same size as my Audi Nav. I'm hoping for an easier install when(not if) my factory nav fails.
  7. Spencerdl's Avatar
    CrackBerry Genius of Geniuses

    Posts
    8,995 Posts
    Global Posts
    16,658 Global Posts
    #7  

    Default

    WOW, looks GOOD. Nice job....how long did it take from start to finish
    Thanked by:
    kevin.mcca (01-11-2012) 
  8. f1mx's Avatar
    CrackBerry Addict

    Posts
    646 Posts
    #8  

    Default

    haven't seen the video yet, but the photos look pretty good. Very clean install
    If Jesus can walk on water, Chuck Norris can swim on ground

    Z10 STL100-3 OS 10.1.0.4181
    PlayBook 32 GB OS 2.1.0.1032
    Thanked by:
    kevin.mcca (01-10-2012) 
  9. twodotohh's Avatar
    Banned

    Posts
    2 Posts
    #9  

    Default

    Now if only your PlayBook had constant 4G connectivity....
  10. offthahorseceo's Avatar
    CrackBerry Addict

    Posts
    901 Posts
    Global Posts
    921 Global Posts
    #10  

    Default

    mind if i ask you a couple of questions?
    ive been wanting to do this on my 1989 allante for a while now, id probably incorporate the bluetooth stereo gateway but thats besides the point.

    how exactly did you route the audio? was it playbook headphonejack>rca io>amp or was the original hu hidden in there somewhere?

    also, did you set the pb volume to 100%?

    lastly, what did you use for the "panel"
    Epic Falcon vs Squirrel Recorded by PlayBook | follow @offthehorse | Download my FREE game for PlayBook: Lowrider on AppWorld|
    8300-8800-8310-9000-9700-9800-9810-9900! Z10-Q10
    XBOX Live Gamertag: Crunkatron
  11. Papa_Dios's Avatar
    CrackBerry Newbie

    Posts
    3 Posts
    #11  

    Default

    VERY nice.
    Thanked by:
    kevin.mcca (01-11-2012) 
  12. maam's Avatar
    CrackBerry Addict

    Posts
    724 Posts
    #12  

    Default

    That's awesome!! I was thinking it was just a slap on, but you went all out eh. Good job!

    Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Thanked by:
    kevin.mcca (01-11-2012) 
  13. kevin.mcca's Avatar
    CrackBerry User

    Posts
    27 Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #13  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Chaddface View Post
    You had to move the HVAC contronls too? That's no small task. Good job.
    The PB is the same size as my Audi Nav. I'm hoping for an easier install when(not if) my factory nav fails.
    Yeah I used the same housing it had originally, but I had to cut some divisions to make it fit down there.
  14. kevin.mcca's Avatar
    CrackBerry User

    Posts
    27 Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #14  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by offthahorseceo View Post
    how exactly did you route the audio? was it playbook headphonejack>rca io>amp or was the original hu hidden in there somewhere?

    also, did you set the pb volume to 100%?

    lastly, what did you use for the "panel"
    1. Yes Headphone Jack>RCA I/O>AMP.

    2. And yes you set the PB volume to 100%

    3. I use stainless steel sheet and some automotive putty. Also the Miniature Linear Actuator, a 3-phase switch, two relays, two microswitch to stop the Linear Actuator before it gets to the limit.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Mounted PlayBook on BMW E34-img_00000761.jpg   Mounted PlayBook on BMW E34-img_00000763.jpg   Mounted PlayBook on BMW E34-img_00000764.jpg  
  15. blackjack93117's Avatar
    Banned

    Posts
    4,157 Posts
    PIN
    Wooden shoe like to know
    #15  

    Default

    Nice. 10 chars of niceness.
    Thanked by:
    kevin.mcca (01-11-2012) 
  16. SiDE's Avatar
    CrackBerry User

    Posts
    33 Posts
    #16  

    Default

    That's nice!
    Thanked by:
    kevin.mcca (01-11-2012) 
  17. B_Berry's Avatar
    CrackBerry User

    Posts
    70 Posts
    PIN
    ...tHe d0NkeY ;)
    #17  

    Default

    nice and clean installation!

    as from a BMW [E39] owner to another and also a PlayBook user, again that's
    Last edited by B_Berry; 01-11-2012 at 03:14 PM.
    Thanked by:
    kevin.mcca (01-11-2012) 
  18. B_Berry's Avatar
    CrackBerry User

    Posts
    70 Posts
    PIN
    ...tHe d0NkeY ;)
    #18  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by kevin.mcca View Post
    1. Yes Headphone Jack>RCA I/O>AMP.

    2. And yes you set the PB volume to 100%

    3. I use stainless steel sheet and some automotive putty. Also the Miniature Linear Actuator, a 3-phase switch, two relays, two microswitch to stop the Linear Actuator before it gets to the limit.

    Kevin, in the future do you plan to have a constant power/USB charger to the cig-lighter or an DC/AC inverter w/ a 120 volts rapid charger? I know that the micro USB port/rapid charger is not really on the best spot on PB, but I'm wondering if you tilt the mounting on a slight angle then you'll have the access, but another thing it may not be a good idea if you hit some bumps on the road while driving and making the PB slip out?
  19. kevin.mcca's Avatar
    CrackBerry User

    Posts
    27 Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #19  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by B_Berry View Post
    Kevin, in the future do you plan to have a constant power/USB charger to the cig-lighter or an DC/AC inverter w/ a 120 volts rapid charger? I know that the micro USB port/rapid charger is not really on the best spot on PB, but I'm wondering if you tilt the mounting on a slight angle then you'll have the access, but another thing it may not be a good idea if you hit some bumps on the road while driving and making the PB slip out?
    Of course! but I will have to redesign the housing and make it cooler but instead of using the headphone jack I was thinking if I could use the micro HDMI for audio, the problem is I don't know the connection to make if someone could help me!
  20. kevin.mcca's Avatar
    CrackBerry User

    Posts
    27 Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #20  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by spencerdl View Post
    WOW, looks GOOD. Nice job....how long did it take from start to finish
    I would say about 2 weeks if you're working constantly on it.

Posting Permissions