Maybe a little off-topic, but I know there are a lot of PlayBook owners who also use Box.net, either with Files & Folders (see sig) or with the official Box app and take advantage of the free 50GB promo.

Did you know you can mount your box.net space as a mapped drive in Windows 7? To do so:

1. Open a Windows (file) Explorer window
    2. From the Tools window, choose Map Network Drive
    3. Choose a drive letter
    4. Enter http://www.box.net/dav
    5. Tick the Use other credentials box
    6. When prompted, enter your e-mail and box.net password

Uploading is rather slow, so it's not really good for copying your music collection in bulk or a full movie, but it seems to work...
    01-23-12 09:09 PM
    thanks for this i will try it out
    01-23-12 09:11 PM
    I haven't tried box, but that's one way to store and retrieve files. I have tried a bunch of paid apps that do ftp file transfers. LiteFTP was my latest for 3.99 and it works great except you can only download single files and have to click each one. I had been using splashtop to get on my pc from remote and then making zip files of the folders I wanted to move to the PB.

Then a person converted the. Apk for the free version of the android app AndFTP and it worked awesomely. It allows you to ftp in and then select whole folders to download. The speeds were quite decent, although a lot of the time I'm within my home network.

I find the combination of splashtop, home ftp server and AndFTP client to be very handy for preparing and moving files from my pc to my playbook even if I'm on the road. If I want say to get some new ebooks that I downloaded, I'd splashtop in, open calibre and convert the books and save them to a directory, then I AndFTP in and download the folders into a directory that my book reader can access.

Anyhow sorry to change the subject, just was thinking out loud about alternatives to moving your files around without using box or cloud services.
    01-23-12 09:42 PM
    thats pretty sweet, can this also be done on vista?
    01-23-12 11:45 PM
    Works on XP Pro so it should work on Vista.
    Thanks Innovatology!
    01-24-12 12:01 AM
    Yep, and on Mac too.
    01-24-12 12:17 AM
    thats pretty sweet, can this also be done on vista?
    Yes, because I just did it! I even double-clicked and open a photo using default - irfanview and then moved through a few. Not exactly fast but it works.
    Last edited by F2; 01-24-12 at 12:39 AM.
    01-24-12 12:36 AM
    Does anyone know if the upload speed is capped on Box.com's end? I wanted to upload some pictures but with my ISP's 0.5-1Mb upload speed it shows it'll take about 15 hours. I was thinking of going to my work where we have about 8-12Mb up to complete the upload but wanted to double check before wasting my time.
    01-24-12 12:44 AM
    I get around 35Kb/s uploading to box.net via this method. My upstream bandwidth is 1MB/s.
    01-24-12 03:30 AM
    I recall sending a folder of about 60 photos and it did take hours using their interface. I don't know that this method would be any faster???
    01-24-12 09:37 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD