Just thought I would share this link. I had ran across several spreadsheets on the web, but many had formulas that were read only. I have compared results - as far as payment, to the standard T-value amortization software, and it was to the penny. This spreadsheet allows a 5 mortgage comparison with extra monthly payment.

I have many customers who like to compare different rates/terms, and it's much easier and faster using my Playbook instead of my desktop. Not to mention I'm maintaining my face to face communication with the customer - oh ya, it does have a coolness factor too.

http://www.vertex42.com/Calculators/...alculator.html
    Last edited by kdeckels; 11-03-12 at 10:57 AM. Reason: Fix link
    11-03-12 08:04 AM
    Thanks for sharing. Just one warning - it immediately OPENED on my computer rather than saving it as a file.
    11-03-12 10:39 AM
    Okay, I think I fixed it. At first I was going to post the file, but thought I should give the author credit. Must have pasted wrong.
    11-03-12 10:59 AM
    I live in a rural area, walking around out here in the open air with my dogs and chickens reading your reply on the Crackberry app on my Bold while listening to Pandora (Tim McGraw station, by the way) and my first thought was I'd fix it when I got back to town. Then I thought, why wait. Walked to the truck and grabbed the Playbook off the dash. I enjoy the country life, but I really enjoy the features the Bold/Playbook combo allow me.
    Uncle Remus likes this.
    11-03-12 11:07 AM
    The combo can definitely be both fun and powerful.
    11-03-12 11:13 AM
    Unfortunately, their Canadian mortgage calculator doesn't work on the PB. Rats! "This file is read only due to the following unsupported content......" Interest on Canadian mortgages is calculated different than US.
    11-03-12 05:17 PM
    sideload Karl's mortgage calculator. it calculates canadian mortgage and has great stuff like graph charts etc. mortgage comparer from app world is good tol.

Sent from Blackberry Playbook using TapaTalk 2
    11-03-12 07:08 PM
    Unfortunately, their Canadian mortgage calculator doesn't work on the PB. Rats! "This file is read only due to the following unsupported content......" Interest on Canadian mortgages is calculated different than US.
    Free Canadian Mortgage Calculator for Excel

Any way to fix this? I have been using this on my computers, but would like to carry it on the PB.
    11-04-12 09:21 PM
    Free Canadian Mortgage Calculator for Excel

Any way to fix this? I have been using this on my computers, but would like to carry it on the PB.
    The issue seems to be the OFFSET function. When I open a new spreadsheet on the tablet and enter "=OFFSET(" an error message "unknown function" or similar words appear under the edit window in a yellow bubble. Docs-to-Go lacks support for function OFFSET(). Perhaps the full version of Smart Office can handle the spreadsheet correctly; I only have the lite edition installed and it cannot perform actual monthly calculations although it does adjust the mortage amount minus the down payment correctly.
    PowderJockey likes this.
    11-04-12 10:49 PM
    Mortgage Calculator for Docs to Go-original.jpgI have installed a Playbook app called "Canadian Mortgage Calculator 3.0", works very well, only 586kb and is free thru appworld. It has a simple interface, shows monthly, semi-monthly, bi-weekly and weekly payments, and also the interest over the term. It gives me the info I need on the fly. I just wish the data boxes were a bit larger (as in 'easier to read') since the page has so much empty space available.

The fancy print-out, payment schedule, etc can be printed off the excel spreadsheet when I get home, and send it to the client as a pdf as I don't need all that data when I'm on the road.
    11-05-12 06:34 AM
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	original.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	27.1 KB 
ID:	124706I have installed a Playbook app called "Canadian Mortgage Calculator 3.0", works very well, only 586kb and is free thru appworld. It has a simple interface, shows monthly, semi-monthly, bi-weekly and weekly payments, and also the interest over the term. It gives me the info I need on the fly. I just wish the data boxes were a bit larger (as in 'easier to read') since the page has so much empty space available.

The fancy print-out, payment schedule, etc can be printed off the excel spreadsheet when I get home, and send it to the client as a pdf as I don't need all that data when I'm on the road.
    May I ask what's different about (please pronounce as if north of the border!) Canada Mortgages?
    11-05-12 08:58 AM
    Because our interest is calculated semi-annually, not in advance, it's a different formula and different outcome. Download the two spreadsheets from the site mentioned above, and have a look at the difference in calculations. (and yes, I pronounce "about" like house and out). LOL
    11-05-12 10:40 AM
    $100,000 5% interest, 25 year amortization:
    USA: monthly payment 584.59, total interest paid 25 years: 75, 377.04
    Cda: monthly payment 581.60, total interest paid 25 years: 74,482.96
    11-05-12 10:46 AM
    sweet im on the good side of it
    11-05-12 11:09 AM
    Canadian mortgage interest is calculated semi annually - not monthly as the US loans are.

for instance, a 100 000$ mortgage under US terms @ 5% would cost 584,61$/mth, whereas the Canadian equivalent would be 581,60$.

Hmm .. beaten to the punch .. lol
    11-05-12 11:15 AM
    I'm moving my house and me to Canada! I just have to get my EH! down! The Blaine crossing is open again (never did see what triggered one more nut!)
    11-05-12 11:57 AM
    F2, you might want to check out house prices in Toronto on REALTOR.ca -Welcome before heading here, they're not for the feint of heart, that's for sure! We didn't have wackadoodle sub-primes so our market has been very stable and increasing, not decreasing like yours. I've been cruising around on realtor.com, especially in the Phoenix area and talk about bang for your buck!!!!! Here in TO, we've got parking spaces in condo buildings selling for $50-60K
    11-05-12 12:18 PM
    TOphotog:

I'm fairly certain I could not find much in Vancouver on this side of the continent.
    11-05-12 02:29 PM
    The issue seems to be the OFFSET function. When I open a new spreadsheet on the tablet and enter "=OFFSET(" an error message "unknown function" or similar words appear under the edit window in a yellow bubble. Docs-to-Go lacks support for function OFFSET(). Perhaps the full version of Smart Office can handle the spreadsheet correctly; I only have the lite edition installed and it cannot perform actual monthly calculations although it does adjust the mortage amount minus the down payment correctly.
    Does anyone have any experience with the full version of Smart Office 2 that could download the Canadain-Mortgage spreadsheet and see if it actually works? I would download and pay the 10.00 if it works, but not going to, only to find out it lacks the proper calculations for this spreadsheet.

I've tried the Kingsoft Office and OfficeSuite Pro on the Android sideloading side of things and neither works.

Works fine in Libreoffice/Openoffice.
    11-07-12 09:49 PM
    I just tried but frankly, I have not used this suite in age and probably did not do much with sheets. I am not sure how to get it to recalc. I was able to add some numbers but am stymied!
    11-07-12 11:54 PM
    If you open the file, I think the file should already have 100,000 or something like for the loan. My problem is that when I place extra money into the lower portion of sheet, "additional payments" column, most the programs either crash or the columns all reply with an "error".

Also, where you have a choice the type of payment frequency, "monthly" there should be a drop down menu giving choices like bi-weekly. All of the apps, don't allow for this drop down menu.
    Attached Thumbnails Mortgage Calculator for Docs to Go-excel1.jpg  
    11-08-12 09:08 PM
    I was able to enter NUMBERS in the "additional payments" cells. I put in 250 and I may not understand the working of this sheet but then the Balance went to a minus value.

I could NOT get the dropdown to work by clicking on Monthly. All I could do was edit the TEXT "monthly" but no dropdown was triggered.

Again, not an expert in this app whatsoever!

(we came through Fernie on the way back from Waterton in Sept - just missed Cranbrook - any snow yet?)
    11-09-12 12:41 AM
    The snow has just started to come to day. A few inches over night and a small amount more to come. Suppose to be above freezing next week, so the snow may not stick around. Fine by me!

Thanks for looking at the spreadsheet.
    11-09-12 07:56 PM
    May I ask what's different about (please pronounce as if north of the border!) Canada Mortgages?
    By the way, that about thing isn't all of Canada. It's only parts of Ontario or people that have moved from Ontario.
    11-10-12 07:29 AM