Sadly, the news is rather more negative than positive. Presenting at Droidcon, part of the Eastern European Mobile Monday Developer Summit being held in Romania today, RIM engineers explained that there are several features which will be unavailable when Android apps are run on the PlayBook.

Key features which will be unavailable to Android apps running under the compatibility layer on the PlayBook and future BlackBerry devices include Android's famed battery-sucking Live Wallpaper, SIP and SIP VoIP, anything built using the Native Development Kit, apps containing only App Widgets, and apps containing more than one activity tied to the Launcher.

In addition, any packages which rely on Google Maps, in-app billing services, Android's text-to-speech engine, or the cloud-to-device messaging system will all be rendered unusable under the company's runtime system.

It's a blow for those who were hoping for big things: while RIM's creation will allow a subset of Android apps to run on the PlayBook and future QNX-based devices, it's a far cry from the total compatibility for which many had been hoping.

Read more: RIM releases list of Android-on-PlayBook no-nos | thinq_

Great,.... my playbook sucks even more...lol.

RIM releases list of Android-on-PlayBook no-nos | thinq_
    09-29-11 12:42 AM
    Already on here, my bad.
    09-29-11 12:46 AM
    it was pretty evident and nobody in their right mind was expecting those things to run on Android Player. already there are 10 threads on this topic, next time care to search before posting.
    09-29-11 12:46 AM
    Already on here, my bad.

Its cool. Avoid the tools bashing you for posting something already posted. The fact tbat they saw your title, already read it elsewhere but still made the effort and expended the energy to open your thread, scroll down, enter a b!tching complaint into the text field and submit the whinefest reveals they have issues with control and other dysfunctions. The astute, mature forum cruiser would have simply read your forum title and said, "no need to read this, i already know it, i will let it be so the reply count doesnt attribut to bumping it up high on the thread list."

But no, these tools, in their arrogance and immaturity, actually contribute to the very problem they are supposedly complaining about by replying to your thread.

Oh, and yours was the first place i personally read about it so its good. Thanks for the info.
    09-29-11 05:06 AM
    09-29-11 05:17 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD