For those of you not on twitter, Bla1ze just tweeted (well 5 hours ago), that OS 2.0.0.3364 has mkv support. Now that, if ultimately true, will make so happy.
    Last edited by Darlaten; 10-10-11 at 10:08 PM. Reason: To correct the OS number.
    10-10-11 09:49 PM
    Indeed, I did.. but keep in mind this is current status. We'll learn more soon as DevCon arrives.
    10-10-11 09:53 PM
    Leak was 2992 then updated to 3013. Now 364 is the latest? Or is that a typo and its 3640?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-10-11 10:05 PM
    Leak was 2992 then updated to 3013. Now 364 is the latest? Or is that a typo and its 3640?

I apologize; I was too excited at the possibility of the news. From the original tweet: it should have been OS 2.0.0.3364. I'll edit the original post to avoid confusion. Thank you for pointing out the mistake.
    10-10-11 10:08 PM
    I apologize; I was too excited at the possibility of the news. From the original tweet: it should have been OS 2.0.0.3364. I'll edit the original post to avoid confusion. Thank you for pointing out the mistake.
    No probs, if anything I was starting to think the leaked photos were bogus...

Cheers,
    10-10-11 11:25 PM
    keep in mind that .mkv is just a container. if there is no ac3/dts support in place yet, it's not going to be terribly useful. there was some speculation that this is why the playbook wasn't originally launched with mkv support (it's really trivial to support new containers, right?). now with the Dolby settlement, maybe ac3 and dts have worked their way in there?
    10-10-11 11:26 PM
    keep in mind that .mkv is just a container. if there is no ac3/dts support in place yet, it's not going to be terribly useful. there was some speculation that this is why the playbook wasn't originally launched with mkv support (it's really trivial to support new containers, right?). now with the Dolby settlement, maybe ac3 and dts have worked their way in there?
    I can confirm, at present AC3 is still not there. But again, all subject to change.. blah blah blah.

I only post the things I hear, but cannot "prove" otherwise in the forums. The .mkv file tested had AAC audio. (No one ever trusts the guy without proof, lol)

Audio ID : 1 Format : AAC Format/Info : Advanced Audio Codec Format version : Version 4 Format profile : LC Format settings, SBR : No Codec ID : A_AAC Duration : 22mn 11s Channel(s) : 2 channels Channel positions : Front: L R Sampling rate : 48.0 KHz Title : English Language : English
    10-11-11 12:32 AM
    If this pans out, excellent! I have a number of mkv HD videos that is a pain and a half to convert otherwise.....
    10-11-11 01:04 AM
    I would love it if I never had to convert a video file for my playbook again.
    10-11-11 01:26 AM
    Also waiting for mkv support, the audio codec inside the mkv is the main problem. Hoping mkv support comes out with ac3 codec...
    10-11-11 01:34 AM
    I hate codecs, containers, formats, etc..

Just make it work so that I don't have to spend 4 hrs converting every HD episode of Top Gear to play on the PlayBook...
    10-11-11 01:53 AM
    I can confirm, at present AC3 is still not there. But again, all subject to change.. blah blah blah.

I only post the things I hear, but cannot "prove" otherwise in the forums. The .mkv file tested had AAC audio. (No one ever trusts the guy without proof, lol)

Audio ID : 1 Format : AAC Format/Info : Advanced Audio Codec Format version : Version 4 Format profile : LC Format settings, SBR : No Codec ID : A_AAC Duration : 22mn 11s Channel(s) : 2 channels Channel positions : Front: L R Sampling rate : 48.0 KHz Title : English Language : English
    so, the real question is, have you had first hand experience with 2.0? will it be launched at devcon? relax, I won't ask you for "proof" , I just want more info and the cold hard truth..
    10-11-11 03:09 AM
    w00T!
    True that most Blue-ray mkv's come with more than 2channels . But this at least limits the converting to the non-supported audio format instead of mkv containers all in all.

For mac users, you can use MP4Tools to just convert the container(really quick), container and audio stream (depends on the size), or all to play on the PB using Default or PS3 preset and works wonderfully.

Conversion speed is pretty quick since most of the time, you won't need to convert the video stream, never had to convert the video stream yet . Always been H.264
    10-11-11 03:59 AM
    MKV support would be awesome. But a lot of mkv files have AC3 audio. ASny rumor that AC3 is going to be supported?
    10-11-11 07:27 AM
    MKV support would be awesome. But a lot of mkv files have AC3 audio. ASny rumor that AC3 is going to be supported?

Don't care, just make it work. If that means supporting AC3, then so be it.

As an end-user, I just want to be able to watch my downloaded videos, ripped movies, etc... without having to think about the format of the soundtrack.

My computer spent most of the night converting a MKV file to MP4 - after all that, no sound in the output file...

I don't have time to d1ck around with converting files. Just make it work, RIM.
    narci likes this.
    10-11-11 12:48 PM
    It takes 2-3 minutes to convert mkv to mp4 container if you are not re-encoding anything.
    10-11-11 03:26 PM
    It takes 2-3 minutes to convert mkv to mp4 container if you are not re-encoding anything.
    How are you doing that? Clearly I'm doing it wrong...
    10-11-11 03:28 PM
    Download ffmpeg and do it by command line.

Zeranoe FFmpeg - Builds

The command is:

avconv -i c:\inputfile.mkv -c copy c:\outputfile.mp4
    10-11-11 03:36 PM
    Download ffmpeg and do it by command line.

Zeranoe FFmpeg - Builds

The command is:

avconv -i c:\inputfile.mkv -c copy c:\outputfile.mp4
    Thanks!

It worked, but of course no audio again...
    10-11-11 04:12 PM
    Of course that has to do with whether your pc or tablet has the ac3 codec installed.
    10-11-11 04:14 PM
    Had no problem playing the MKV, don't see why the MP4 shouldn't work.

I'm guessing it doesn't convert the sound track..

With Handbrake, why does it take 3.5 hrs to convert a 1hr video? It's faster to point a video camera at the screen and copy it that way...
    10-11-11 04:20 PM
    i fail to understand why a very small FREE player like VLC plays just about any file format and codec you throw at it, yet a 500 dollar tablet has a hard time playing one third of video formats ou there.

I dont know anything about formats and codes aor how they work but seriously can we just have VLC on our playbooks..
    10-11-11 04:33 PM
    i fail to understand why a very small FREE player like VLC plays just about any file format and codec you throw at it, yet a 500 dollar tablet has a hard time playing one third of video formats ou there.

I dont know anything about formats and codes aor how they work but seriously can we just have VLC on our playbooks..
    Well, $299 tablet now
    10-11-11 04:37 PM

Because VLC is a no money open source organization that Dolby has not bothered to sue.

And VLC shouldn't be in any app stores anyway because its open source license conflicts with app store licenses (that's why it was pulled from the Apple app store).
    Last edited by samab; 10-11-11 at 04:51 PM.
    sf49ers likes this.
    10-11-11 04:46 PM
    No I think the problem was that the compiled code was not available - a problem that may be solved by the NDK given that VLC already exists for QNX - it may have to be a sideload though. License issues are weird in open source scenarios.

10-11-11 04:54 PM
38 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD