I was thinking, RIM develops a print 2 go app so you can get stuff on your playbook, but then there are numerous ways to get stuff on your playbook that are just as good, perhaps a bit slower.

So was anybody asking for this app, did this appear in user requests?

If not, why were RIM staff working on that when there are so many other functionalities that people want? What does this signify? What kind of project manager puts his resources into stuff that people don't ask for? Is this chasing innovation blindly, to say you have something different when you still are missing some core functionality, or functionality that people want???

Just wondering... does anybody else feel this way?

I want RIM to focus and address what people want, get all of your user base happy! That will be the key to success and you are moving in the right direction, but focus focus focus. I won't bother expressing what I want, they are the same as most everyone here.
    azrin640, anon(3460513) and soo007 like this.
    01-18-12 08:54 PM
    Corporate sector has abondoned RIM in huge numbers, especially in the tablet realm of things. They are sweating big time trying to get customers back, whether old or new.
    01-18-12 09:00 PM
    Well I am new and I love my playbook, but I can see they need to focus on core improvement. They didn't need print 2 go, they needed to address other core functionality imho. The email and calendar app had enough innovation to differentiate themselves.

If they improve the core function I will by another one for my wife. I might buy another one anyways cause the prices are good
    01-18-12 09:05 PM
    I agree with the OP, RIM appears lost in that their native applications are tailored for enterprise but they also appear to be working to bring many games to the platform.

It appears to me that (and I don't claim to be the only one with this view) enterprise is moving away from dedicated handsets for their employees and allowing more choice of device. RIM still appears to think that enterprise is the only way to go, but times are changing.

Back to Print To Go, I really hope they come out with a Go To Print app that allows us to print to local/network printers. Would be a big plus for the enterprise market too if this became apart of the core apps.
    anon(3460513) likes this.
    01-18-12 09:19 PM
    To OP, I think it's a neat little utility. And from the comments below, I am not alone:

http://crackberry.com/print-go-black...esktop-compute

As for core features, the OP should sit back and enjoy some beer while watching the football play-offs. February is just around the corner and PB 0S 2.0 will be here soon.
    Sit back and relax.
    braindigger, menaknow and dono54 like this.
    01-18-12 09:28 PM
    Well said (the_sleuth). How about we all just wait a little longer, try out the new OS, and then comment....maybe even enjoy

Hey, in the meantime, we can enjoy an awesome device and look forward to many many improvements
    kbz1960 likes this.
    01-18-12 09:36 PM
    Corporate sector has abondoned RIM in huge numbers, especially in the tablet realm of things. They are sweating big time trying to get customers back, whether old or new.
    Hehehe. The only one sweating is you.
    01-18-12 09:50 PM
    Well said (the_sleuth). How about we all just wait a little longer, try out the new OS, and then comment....maybe even enjoy

Hey, in the meantime, we can enjoy an awesome device and look forward to many many improvements
    I disagree, I believe we need to worry, complain and propose new ways at which RIM will ultimately fail!!!
    01-18-12 10:25 PM
    Back to Print To Go, I really hope they come out with a Go To Print app that allows us to print to local/network printers. Would be a big plus for the enterprise market too if this became apart of the core apps.
    Print To Go is an innovative idea and exactly what I was looking for. It was really annoying me that I had to print as PDF to email to myself to bridge to my PB to view/show it. There's a lot of time-saving and potential for this.

My thoughts exactly regarding GO TO PRINT! But I think there's difficulty implementing it due to security issues and maybe just logistics. Maybe if there are like Bluetooth printers...? Or even making the PB being compatible with a computer network that will carry over the print commands to a printer (not Remote Desktop though), which I think would be the most viable option.

I can understand what you mean by misplaced priorities, but what ARE the priorities? RIM needs to identify what will make the PB a better device, in terms of security and effectiveness, vs Droid or iPad. THAT, my friends, is their biggest challenge. If they can find a weak spot that the others can't address, they can exploit it. Too bad people are too focused on games to see outside the box.
    musical1806 likes this.
    01-18-12 10:41 PM
    I'm stoked about print to go... No more hauling around piles of paper as I can simply load it into the playbook without converting - seems pretty sweet to me

Sent from my BlackBerry 9930 using Tapatalk
    blue-b likes this.
    01-18-12 10:47 PM
    Print To Go is an innovative idea and exactly what I was looking for. It was really annoying me that I had to print as PDF to email to myself to bridge to my PB to view/show it. There's a lot of time-saving and potential for this.

I can understand what you mean by misplaced priorities, but what ARE the priorities? RIM needs to identify what will make the PB a better device, in terms of security and effectiveness, vs Droid or iPad. THAT, my friends, is their biggest challenge. If they can find a weak spot that the others can't address, they can exploit it. Too bad people are too focused on games to see outside the box.
    I can see myself using Print To Go every once in a while and see how others would find it very beneficial but my personal uses would best be served with a Go To Print app. Hopefully we get both at some point!

And I completely agree with your idea that RIM needs to find their identity. Are they going to stick with enterprise, focus on consumers, or come up with with a happy medium. Right now it seems they are trying to grab stuff from both sides to please their critics.
    01-18-12 11:06 PM
    I want RIM to focus and address what people want, get all of your user base happy! That will be the key to success and you are moving in the right direction, but focus focus focus. I won't bother expressing what I want, they are the same as most everyone here.
    First, you're presuming that what you want is the exact same as what the "user base" wants. Many of the comments here already prove that there's not a consensus among users on what "we" want, other than "everything, yesterday". It's best to just use personal views and not project them to the group. Secondly, with all the stuff that is coming in OS2, it doesn't seem to me that producing Print to Go sidetracked the project too much, if any. You're looking at one small part of a bigger picture. The app might have been easily produced based on other code and we don't know how much demand was communicated to RIM about it.. Lastly, printing to a device requires drivers that are mostly printer specific. No matter how many they could add, there would always be someone wondering why they didn't focus on HIS printer...
    01-18-12 11:37 PM
    Hehehe. The only one sweating is you.
    O_o im alright at the moment with my Playbook. I dont even think about calender apps or even the native email client considering my life isnt busy to that degree where i cant do it through the browser seeing as how it does it just fine. I am of simple taste. Whatever RIM decides to do I just want them to do it at the best degree is all. For instance I am now using Simplebrowser+ instead of the more stable native browser, why? Well for whatever reason the native browser isnt snappy enough when scrolling, editing userstrings just isnt there. See this is one of the things that upsets me with RIM. If they arent going to offer features that are on par with the rest of the competition, then at least ffs make whatever you donoffer at a higher standard.
    01-18-12 11:51 PM

I totally agree. It has been said many times in these forums, these are beta OS's, for developers testing purposes only. This is not an official release and we have yet to see what will be in it. We are just having a sample (and appear not to appreciate it). Where's the love?
    01-19-12 12:02 AM
    Print to Go, Go to Print, it's all a step in the right direction--lots of apps. As for priorities, RIM obviously has been working on email and such things all along, so I would say it's just different teams, or, perhaps, that some programs are easier to write than others.

OP raises an interesting question. Where does RIM get the list of apps it is working on? From our gripes? If so, we should be griping more
    01-19-12 12:22 AM
    Well I am new and I love my playbook, but I can see they need to focus on core improvement. They didn't need print 2 go, they needed to address other core functionality imho. The email and calendar app had enough innovation to differentiate themselves.

If they improve the core function I will by another one for my wife. I might buy another one anyways cause the prices are good
    You seem to own a Galaxy S2 one of the best devices in the market.So if RIM takes Playbook OS 2.0 and make a phone out of it would you consider buying that instead of your Galaxy S 2??
    01-19-12 02:07 AM
    I am quietly hoping that RIM's strategy in previewing the Print To Go app was to show everyone that they thought outside of the box.

I have never thought that an app like that would be useful, but when I heard about it, I started to think back to all those times I have just emailed something to myself to later retrieve it on my laptop (now PlayBook). Then the slow awkward process of finding the mail, opening attachment, then finally being able to open it.

However, if RIM thought outside the box with this app, then I am seriously hoping that they also thought within the box too and release the Go To Print app too!
    01-19-12 02:43 AM
    search these forums, people received surveys about which features they want added to playbook, which included print from and print to i think. Other features such as dlna (server/client), using BB as keyboard etc were also on there, so they getting feedback from users on what users want and implementing the features probably which many users want and require the least effort first.

Also, the latest beta shows good improvements on the browser, so they have been working on that (it is now the highest in tablet in html5test) which is i think the right area to focus on. It still needs to improve in javascript performance etc...
    01-19-12 02:53 AM
    I was thinking, RIM develops a print 2 go app so you can get stuff on your playbook, but then there are numerous ways to get stuff on your playbook that are just as good, perhaps a bit slower.

If not, why were RIM staff working on that when there are so many other functionalities that people want? What does this signify? What kind of project manager puts his resources into stuff that people don't ask for? Is this chasing innovation blindly, to say you have something different when you still are missing some core functionality, or functionality that people want???

Can't agree more. It's a nice feature though, which I can live without.

I was hoping for something to help SME (Small Medium Enterprise) coming from RIM, since it is used for biz.
    01-19-12 04:16 AM

My thoughts exactly regarding GO TO PRINT! But I think there's difficulty implementing it due to security issues and maybe just logistics. Maybe if there are like Bluetooth printers...? Or even making the PB being compatible with a computer network that will carry over the print commands to a printer (not Remote Desktop though), which I think would be the most viable option. .
    I like Print To Go as well. It will make my life easier.

As to Go To Print this would not be possible to do. there are thousands of different printers out there. Pb is no Pc.
    01-19-12 04:26 AM
    An app that does something we could already do via wifi file transfer? No, I doubt it was high up in the list when playbook owners were polled shortly after the devcon 2011 disappointment regarding what they wanted first in OS 2.0.

On that note, there were features that have been repeatedly requested by users that RIM has ignored. There have even been rim reps have to preface some statements before recent updates by saying "no, bbm groups arent included in this one, but....."

but...but...but.... but nothing, they have no priorities at all. They didnt even touchbbm at all in this coming update; those fellows just shrugged off fixing one of blackberry's biggest selling points until an undisclosed time in the future because they can't make native bbm happy with the noc. Native, not bridge... So in otherwords, to heck withit all, they washed their hands of it. The playbook world would have been more than appreciative to get a fully functioning bbm even if bridged, and wait for native. But no, rim just dropped it all like a hot potato.

So, where is rim's priorities? Thats a darn good question.
    Last edited by kb5zht; 01-19-12 at 05:35 AM.
    bluecougar likes this.
    01-19-12 05:30 AM
    Wow so bbm is what people want. I don't even use it. You can have mine.
    lotuslanderz likes this.
    01-19-12 06:29 AM

In the Corporate world Print2Go IS a desired feature, it is part of the CORE needs of a business users, Print2Go is just 1 further step in the quest to make the Playbook must have companion device.

Right Now I see Print2Go as an excellent file manager for Documents I would normally be printing to carry with me, printing website confirmations and maps, printing itinerary's and printing PDF files. Now they have a great management utility on the device.
    I would say I use doPDF v7 which is a printer driver to print to .pdf more than I use a regular printer I am excited for print2go.

I don't think RIM has their priorities out of line, their first priority is and should be to cater to BES customers, and BES customer needs/wants, whilst doing so they need to be building up features that the NON BlackBerry user base will see as useful and desirable.

What Core Features do you think RIM skipped to make the Print2Go app?
    01-19-12 06:33 AM
    An app that does something we could already do via wifi file transfer?
    Print2Go does far more than what I could do via wifi file transfer.

Wifi File transfer assumes.
    - My Computer and PlayBook are in the same place
    - My Computer and PlayBook are both connected to Wifi
    Next, to Wifi transfer my itinerary from an email I would do
    - Print using doPDF v7
    -- Save PDF file
    --- connect to PlayBook
    ---- Transfer PDF file via Wifi to the device

with Print2Go
    ANYONE with Print2Go can print to my PlayBook via my BBID credentials which means my office admin can send me the iterary directly to my PlayBook from another country.
    the Steps involved are
    - Print using Print2Go
    -- Send using ANY Internet connection via BBID
    01-19-12 06:42 AM

your feelings about rim have merit
    the dual-core ceo's are notorious in not prioritizing what the user wants. instead the prioritize what they think the user want or what they want the users to have.

let's not forget that these pair of idiots made a huge mistake but omitting functionalities of what makes a blackberry a blackberry. how can a blackberry ship without email client, calendar, pim management, bbm, bis, and bes?
    i am one of those suckers that dropped $700 for the 64gb variant and blindly believed that the playbook would "soon" get the much-need functionalities.

well rim will not be getting my money anymore. i like my 9900 and playbook but these are my last blackberry devices.

next will be an intel-based smartphone and tablet. by then rim will be history.
    01-19-12 06:53 AM
48 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD