And allows a smartphone to connect to both computers and USB drives.
    Ya Switching host/slave rolls

The Phone can be both a host and a slave.

Host to a USB Drive. Slave to a PC
    12-03-10 06:13 PM
    Nothing too interesting. New simulator is supposed to arrive in a couple weeks. We also got confirmation that WebWorks SDK will be available before launch. We got secondary confirmation of gyroscope and compass.

I'm not seeing a January launch as very likely, there'd be no time to develop apps on WebWorks or test against this newer SDK. That's entirely my own speculation though.

I've got confirmation on the chipset in the PlayBook, I'm going to post that in the correct thread in a moment. Not from the develop webcast though.
    After the last chat you wrote that Jan 1st was the deadline for launch apps - with this new stuff on the way has that been pushed back? That'd be a good way to tell if the release isn't going to be as early as we had all hoped.
    12-03-10 06:24 PM
    After the last chat you wrote that Jan 1st was the deadline for launch apps - with this new stuff on the way has that been pushed back? That'd be a good way to tell if the release isn't going to be as early as we had all hoped.
    They said that Jan 1st was the deadline to "be certain", they didn't say it was the absolute cut-off. It makes sense they'd say that because it means the same thing as "could be any time in Q1". They were specifically asked about a release date this time and were not willing to say anything beyond "Early 2011 for US, rest of world following shortly after". Last webcast that had included in Canada in the Q1 timeframe. I keep hearing "US" and "US & Canada" so I'm really not sure which one it will be, obviously hoping Canada is included. I live a 10 minute walk from RIM HQ, I better be able to get a PlayBook.
    12-03-10 06:30 PM
    I'd hope RIM wouldn't delay a Canadian release much longer than the US. That would seem... unfair. Then again, they did it with the Torch.
    12-03-10 06:34 PM
    I think the torch delay in Canada was as much the carriers as it was RIM
    12-04-10 07:34 AM
    Nothing too interesting. New simulator is supposed to arrive in a couple weeks. We also got confirmation that WebWorks SDK will be available before launch. We got secondary confirmation of gyroscope and compass.

I'm not seeing a January launch as very likely, there'd be no time to develop apps on WebWorks or test against this newer SDK. That's entirely my own speculation though.

I've got confirmation on the chipset in the PlayBook, I'm going to post that in the correct thread in a moment. Not from the develop webcast though.
    Thanks! Looking forward to playing with that new simulator and seeing the chipset info.
    12-04-10 11:08 AM
    They said that Jan 1st was the deadline to "be certain", they didn't say it was the absolute cut-off. It makes sense they'd say that because it means the same thing as "could be any time in Q1". They were specifically asked about a release date this time and were not willing to say anything beyond "Early 2011 for US, rest of world following shortly after". Last webcast that had included in Canada in the Q1 timeframe. I keep hearing "US" and "US & Canada" so I'm really not sure which one it will be, obviously hoping Canada is included. I live a 10 minute walk from RIM HQ, I better be able to get a PlayBook.
    I asked them that question and got an answer back from Prosanta after the webcast stating that they could only go by what the official release said... Q1 for the US and Q2 Internationally. I'm still hoping they mean US+Canada but I guarantee you that if it's just the US, then I'll be leaving a Canadian retailer wishing they made another decision.
    12-05-10 11:18 PM
    Rogers confirmed last week that they would have PlayBook "at launch". I'd assume Bell and Telus would as well. Marc Saltzman references this in the article I posted in another thread.

....ok, I'll post it again here!

Why BlackBerry's PlayBook looks like a hit - moneyville.ca Blogs
    12-06-10 01:04 PM
    RIM was asked again today about USB storage support, but this time they said no. No real information about why, perhaps the device roadmap has changed. Quite unfortunate if this the final say.

I asked a follow-up question about if it would arrive in the future given the OMAP 4 does support USB OTG, they said they weren't ready to talk about that. So I'm hopeful we'll still see it eventually.
    12-09-10 02:16 PM
    RIM was asked again today about USB storage support, but this time they said no. No real information about why, perhaps the device roadmap has changed. Quite unfortunate if this the final say.

I asked a follow-up question about if it would arrive in the future given the OMAP 4 does support USB OTG, they said they weren't ready to talk about that. So I'm hopeful we'll still see it eventually.

Yeah I was so disappointed when they said that. Being able to use an external hard drive would have really added to the usefulness of the PB.
    12-09-10 08:01 PM
    What was the exact phrasing? They could mean "no" at launch, but enabled with a sw upgrade.
    12-09-10 09:31 PM
    What was the exact phrasing? They could mean "no" at launch, but enabled with a sw upgrade.
    I don't remember the exact phrasing any more (long day), but the answer was no for now. The possibility of future support was certainly left open after my follow-up question.
    12-09-10 10:17 PM
    I thought I remember hearing something along the lines of "I can't speak of this major feature at this time."
    12-10-10 12:24 AM
    I thought I remember hearing something along the lines of "I can't speak of this major feature at this time."
    I do hope that they at least include the port.
    Sure, with all the development being done on QNX USB OTG is not a priority, but it would be nice if they at least included a USB OTG port on the shipping models (all pictures and videos reveal a standard Micro USB B), and then they can enable it in a OS update.
    12-10-10 12:49 AM
    No USB storage support, no sale...
    12-10-10 01:16 AM
    For me: No USB OTG ever, less incentive to buy.
    12-10-10 10:59 AM
    Same here, I'm starting to lean toward the ADAM tablet
    12-10-10 04:26 PM
    That's a deal-killer for me also. If you can't slip in a Micro-SD card OR connect a USB drive then screw-it. I'll wait for the first "fast" 7" tablet that can. It may be time to start considering something other than Blackberry given that there is no decent Storm replacement imminent and the Playbook is starting to look "later" and less appeaing. Damn shame that they continue to drop farther behind.
    12-10-10 08:21 PM
    That's a deal-killer for me also. If you can't slip in a Micro-SD card OR connect a USB drive then screw-it. I'll wait for the first "fast" 7" tablet that can. It may be time to start considering something other than Blackberry given that there is no decent Storm replacement imminent and the Playbook is starting to look "later" and less appeaing. Damn shame that they continue to drop farther behind.
    I agree with this. Starting to look like the 1st dual core Win7 7" tab will be what I end up with.

QNX by itself isn't enough. I thought this was supposed to support the enterprise? Even 64GB would run out of space soon with the applications and tools needed (at least for me), not to even mention the media files and documents. With no external device support (other than a blackberry) this deal is dead.
    Last edited by dkingsf; 12-12-10 at 07:46 AM.
    12-12-10 07:40 AM
    Unless you're in video editing, architecture, engineering, or something else that deals with gigantic files then 64GB is plenty. For at least 95% of businesses they deal with office docs and maybe some databases or reports, 16GB would be plenty. Even for those working with pro quality audio or high res graphics it is plenty. Considering the success of portable media players (iPod Touch, Archos, etc) I don't think most users have any problem with the storage either.
    12-12-10 11:30 AM
    Unless you're in video editing, architecture, engineering, or something else that deals with gigantic files then 64GB is plenty. For at least 95% of businesses they deal with office docs and maybe some databases or reports, 16GB would be plenty. Even for those working with pro quality audio or high res graphics it is plenty. Considering the success of portable media players (iPod Touch, Archos, etc) I don't think most users have any problem with the storage either.
    You making assumptions about other peoples storage requirements and your definitely wrong.

H.e.l.l even netbooks have 100-120GB hard drives and they're supposed to be "web surfing" computers. In certain "enterprises" (medical, insurance, technology) tools like Oracle/MySQL databases and tools, remote vpn access, antivirus/spyware protection (don't tell me you won't need it) you could easily use 50-60GB before you get started.

Nope, without support for external devices like storage, printers/scanners/fax, usb dsl modems and network equipment, etc. etc. this thing will be just a big display for your blackberry with multimedia.

My "enterprise" doesn't think that's going to justify it as an expense and has already started looking at alternatives, primarily Win7 tablets. We've purchased a few for testing already and would love to have the PB to compare with, but sadly, delayed, nothing being said about it we can truly expect functionally. By the time the information comes out looks like my company will already have made a commitment and taken a different direction.

I would have rather had another option, but RIM's focus is so narrow that it pretty much excludes most "enterprises" at least the first go 'round, IMO.
    12-12-10 02:42 PM
    You making assumptions about other peoples storage requirements and your definitely wrong.

H.e.l.l even netbooks have 100-120GB hard drives and they're supposed to be "web surfing" computers. In certain "enterprises" (medical, insurance, technology) tools like Oracle/MySQL databases and tools, remote vpn access, antivirus/spyware protection (don't tell me you won't need it) you could easily use 50-60GB before you get started.
    I said it meets the storage requirements of 95% of business, and I stand by that comment. I didn't say it meets the needs of your business, but most businesses.

I seriously doubt we'll need anti-virus, I don't know of any mobile platforms where you do. The code signing requirements quite effectively stop viruses.

The PlayBook simulator install is about 200MB, even fully loaded it with apps it should be under 400-500MB. A VPN client is a tiny app, less than 50MB. The same is true of anti-virus, even if we did need it.

Database software itself should also be less than 50MB. Most companies don't store 50GB databases on a tablet, that's the only way you could get the size that high. That just isn't an even remotely common use case. It represents too much risk, 50GB is a lot of data, that'd be potentially millions of sensitive customer records that are compromised if the device is lost. Databases are stored on a server, and access over the network.

Yes, there are 5% of businesses that have unusual requirements, but I think I think I'm being extremely generous saying 5%.
    12-12-10 09:45 PM
    I seriously doubt we'll need anti-virus, I don't know of any mobile platforms where you do. The code signing requirements quite effectively stop viruses.
    Not to mention that QNX is essentially designed to be immune to viruses.

Doesn't stop Norton from trying to scam businesses though.
    12-13-10 02:35 AM
    I've been pretty disappointed that there will be no SD card slot, but if I can hook up an SD card reader via USB, then I'll be OK with that.
    Same here, It got me re-thinking my reasons of getting one as I really need to have extra storage during my travels.

The external USB to connect Memory card readers would be great but annoying to have on there all the time.
    12-14-10 04:13 AM
49 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD