• 16 Post By kretch
  • 2 Post By kretch
  • 4 Post By rotorwrench
  • 1 Post By jafobabe
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    408 Global Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

Default Micro USB tip - It may save you a repair.

I have seen many reports from Crackberrians writing about how there kids or un-named users have plugged the MICRO USB and the HDMI connector in upsidedown and damage the ports.

I have a very simple tip that could help reduce the risk of this happening to you.

I put a bright colored dot of fingernail polish on the up side of the connector so in dim light or when I don't have my glasses on I know the correct way to plug it in.

I even use it on the end that plugs into my computer.

Remember to tell those that use your device what the colored dot is all about.

See the attached photo.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Micro USB tip - It may save you a repair.-tip.jpg  
    "People may not remember exactly what you did or what you said, but they will always remember how you made them feel." - Maya Angelou
    Thanked by 7:
    bb624 (08-25-2012),  beathookup (08-27-2012),  Carl Estes (08-27-2012),  luqman24 (08-26-2012),  Scotter75 (08-27-2012),  spike12 (08-25-2012) 
    CrackBerry Genius

PIN
    Just PM

Nice one ! But i dont think i need it
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    408 Global Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #3  

People buy insurance with the hopes of never needing it.

This is my insurance because my eyesight is not what is was when I was a young man and I would hate to have to pay 100+ dollars for a penny's worth of prevention.

"People may not remember exactly what you did or what you said, but they will always remember how you made them feel." - Maya Angelou
    robkd and Heavens1 like this.
    CrackBerry Abuser

yeah, with mirco it is pretty easy - just feel the two dots

Also some times the usb ports are upside down integrated on Laptops and Pcs, but normal USB is pretty undestructable imho

Necessity is indeed the mother of invention hehe
    Quick Help BLACKBERRY HELP 101 | Direct load Android (APK) Apps : BB10 10.2.1|Sideloading apps: BB10/PlayBook | Update/Reload Software: BB7.1- - PlayBook - BB10 | Debrick: BB7.1- - PlayBook - BB10 | Backup 3rd Party Apps: BB7.1- - PlayBook & BB10: Just use BB Link | Battery Saving: BB7.1- - PlayBook - BB10

Got a question? diego.nei@mobilenations.com | My Apps: Papo GP | Papo GP 10 | My Channel: Project Management BBM Channel

CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    1,971 Global Posts
    PIN
    Forget it

At work with so many PBs it's inevitable that someone would damage one by incorrect insertion so we used a similar solution. We put a drop of hardening adhesive on the up side of all micro, mini and standard usb plugs. It's green in color and shows well against the black but better yet you feel the raised bump, no visual needed.
    Last edited by rotorwrench; 08-25-2012 at 06:49 PM.
    There are trolls in BlackBerry clothing among us. Report and never reply to obvious troll posts, they will die without responses from you.
    CrackBerry Genius

BlackBerry logo up.
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    3,856 Global Posts
    PIN
    excepting applications

Yeah bb logo up and in the dark I feel for the bumps. That's not to say someone else would use the same methods but that's why I have mine and the Mrs has hers lol.

As far as our nine month old goes I don't even want to think about what he would /could do to the Playbook
    I waited...It launched...Im still waiting...

Quote Originally Posted by Chaddface View Post
    BlackBerry logo up.
    The problem for me is that I have too many micro-usb cords, not just the charger. So if I want to plug into computer I could foul it up. I like the rotor idea. Now I need some thick adhesive!
    CrackBerry Genius of Geniuses

Global Posts
    22,484 Global Posts
    PIN
    "Runs with Scissors"

Will Glow-in-the-Dark Neon Lime Green Nail Polish work? I need something that I can see in the dark.
    The Birds don't like the lights on after their bedtime.
    (BBM # 5)
    CB 5K 50K,100K 500K Challenge Thread
    kretch likes this.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    302 Global Posts
    PIN
    332277ED

good tip
    Blackberry is diddie-up dope!
    FoxxBerry is the device

Quote Originally Posted by jafobabe View Post
    Will Glow-in-the-Dark Neon Lime Green Nail Polish work? I need something that I can see in the dark.
    The Birds don't like the lights on after their bedtime.
    Life ruled by birds! I like it. A friend has had her parrot for over 35 years.

And where does one find glow-in-the nail polish - any ol' joint?
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    408 Global Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #13  

Default Did not now they make glowin the dark polish.

Quote Originally Posted by jafobabe View Post
    HECK YEAH IT WOULD WORK.

I did not know that they made glow in the dark nail polish, Im going straight to ebay to find me some.

CrackBerry Abuser

Excellent idea!
    Banned

Global Posts
    1,408 Global Posts
    PIN
    501BBBBB

Haha the cutest lifehack??
    CrackBerry User

Global Posts
    45 Global Posts

I had a similar problem with an USB cable device that I always misaligned with the port .
    My fix was to use a cuter and cut a chunk from the up side of the connector so when I pug the cable in I make sure I can feel the cut or missing chunk of plastic from the connector is UP . it's like a braille marking so no need to see just feel it.
    CrackBerry Genius of Geniuses

PIN
    32FE97BA

Nice tip but one would really need to force it pretty hard to damage it.

Sent from my flip-phone.
    CrackBerry User

Back when I was using the micro USB to charge the Playbook (before I got the magnetic rapid charger), I would just run my thumb over the top of the metal part that plugs in. If I did not feel the rounded edges I flipped it over and tied again...
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    948 Global Posts

Default I take something pointy and carve a "V" into the top

that way I can feel it in the dark, too. I suppose you could feel the nailpolish, but that's just the way I do it.

Also... anyone else irritated by the Nexus 7 tablet having the Micro USB port "upside down"? where the "wide" side of the trapezoid of the micro USB plug faces the same direction as the screen? EVERY other device I own that uses Micro USB has the narrow side of the trapezoid up when you are looking at the screen. I guess those compromises are made when you want to keep the build cost low.
    I was tapering off. I'm all tapered out now.
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    1,971 Global Posts
    PIN
    Forget it

Quote Originally Posted by F2 View Post
    The problem for me is that I have too many micro-usb cords, not just the charger. So if I want to plug into computer I could foul it up. I like the rotor idea. Now I need some thick adhesive!
    Any hardening adhesive will work, including the always available JB Weld lol. Also silicone will work for a soft bump. Be sure and wipe the area to be applied with fingernail polish remover (acetone) to remove the plastic release agent film and ensure good adhesion. An obvious tall bump of adhesive works well and you'll even feel it with gloves on The cut notches mentioned work just as well except some may not want to deface their plugs.
    There are trolls in BlackBerry clothing among us. Report and never reply to obvious troll posts, they will die without responses from you.
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    1,858 Global Posts

With my Nexus 7 the micro USB goes in with the charge emblem up toward the screen. Since I haven't used other chargers with it yet I haven't noticed any which would go in with the marking side down. Doesn't look that much different in orientation than the PB micro USB. Frankly the PB port looks crappier but I always use the rapid travel charger although i did test the micro USB and it worked. Lots of knocks on N7 build quality but haven't noticed problems on mine.

I just compared the usb port on my 9930 and the pb.

I gather the pb's usb port was designed for the usb-on-the-go or whatever it is called. So it is shaped rather like a rectangle that can accommodate a different connector than just a micro-usb plug. This rectangular shape unfortunately allows a micro-usb plug to be, at least partially installed UPSIDEDOWN and that can lead to a bend or flexing of the narrow connector inside the port.

The 9930's usb is more of a definite trapezoid. There is almost no way to insert the micro-plug the wrong way. The narrowed portion will not accommodate the wider part of the plug.

I'm sure most folks who know the physical properties of the on-the-go know this. But most of us users do not or did not know this.

So I don't know if this is a pb inherent flaw or a flaw in the nature of on the on-the-go usb port for any such devices.