There's some major Playbook love happening down here.

Yesterday, I was pretty proud of myself, as I was the first customer to purchase a Playbook from my local Telcel office, which is the near-monopoly Carrier in Mexico owned by Carlos Slim. I knew they were being released in Mexico, but I thought it was only through Telcel.

Last night I happened across OfficeMax, and 'lo and behold, there was a large Playbook display at the front of the store. Further in the store was a large display with two units out, as well as the usual covers and skins.

NOW......I know I roll my eyes when I read "I spoke to a salesguy and he said....." HOWEVER, this sales guy was different. He was the resident Playbook expert, and was as enthused about the device as I was (me having just purchased mine a few hours earlier)

Here's the stats for this one store as he relayed them to me:

Went on sale June 15th (Who knew?)
    This store received 15 of each sized, for a total of 45.
    All 45 gone within a week, and they since recieved a second shipment of 15-16GB and 15-64 GB...still waiting for more 32 GB.
    As of yesterday, they had 8-64s left and 3-16s left.

So, add it up, and this one OfficeMax store in a medium size tourist town in Mexico has sold 64 Playbooks in 11 days!

The sales guy stated that the driving factor for most of the sales was the Tethering and Bridging. Tethering has no additional cost through Telcel......this kind of makes sense, as Mexicans=Scots=Jews.....I can say that as I'm one of the latter two! There is no way an average middle class Mexican would pay for two data plans....It's just not in their DNA. It's not in mine either!

It's interesting, as Apple doesn't seem to have the same penetration down here as in the US and Canada. I travel down here lots, and I estimate easily 60%+ of Smart Phones are Blackberries. I wouldn't be suprised if the per capita Playbook purchases among the middle-class and up exceeds that of the US by a large margin....and, likely the same for the rest of Latin America.

Final note......The sales guy also said that they've only sold a couple of Zoom's since they launched months ago.

So. There you have it. Positive Playbook news.

AND... I still can't believe how fast my Playbook is when bridged
    Spencerdl and Sirhill like this.
    06-27-11 11:12 AM
    I'm not trying to "stir" up anything...
    But seriously you didn't have to use THAT as the title...
    Last edited by r0v3rT3N; 06-27-11 at 02:43 PM.
    06-27-11 11:14 AM
    I am surprized that Apple doesn't have any drug trafficking apps..... :P
    f1mx likes this.
    06-27-11 11:18 AM
    Stereotypical, perhaps a little biggoted, but Racist? Really? Get a life.

Cough,cough racist....
    kbz1960 likes this.
    06-27-11 11:38 AM
    Cripes. The people I am force to share air with, I tell ya.

Here's the picture, sunshine. I'm Jewish. My wife's Mexican. As part of our cultural lore, the Jewish culture is less willing to foolishly part ways with hard earned currency. Many Mexicans share that same value. I understand Scots are in the same category.

Canadian, eh? Probably from Toronto? Figures.
    06-27-11 11:56 AM
    Yep. Scots are in the same boat, and being the son of a Scot (so a bit Scottish myself) I saw no harm in what you said. Some people are a little touchy I guess.

Here's the picture, sunshine. I'm Jewish. My wife's Mexican. As part of our cultural lore, the Jewish culture is less willing to foolishly part ways with hard earned currency. Many Mexicans share that same value. I understand Scots are in the same category.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-27-11 12:00 PM
    Nice to know that it is starting to do well south of the border. I hope there is nothing racist about that comment. Off topic political correctness is ruining this country. Don't do or say anything that could be considered offensive to anyone. That's pretty wide open.

Call me a cracker I don't care it doesn't bother me and if it did I wouldn't expect anything out of it. I agree this is a cracker that won't pay for 2 data plans either.

btw I even used a worse slang on myself.
    06-27-11 12:10 PM
    Cough,cough racist....
    He's talking about a COUNTRY not a race. You have to be racist yourself for that thought to even cross your mind, because clearly the word "racist" rolls very easily off of your tongue and therefore must be at the front of your mindless "mind".. Or, you are feeling guilty and self-loathing about something or, wishing to stir up trouble (race baiting) which personally I am sick of, because it causes more friction between races than actual racists do. Do you expect to become popular by unfounded and unproven accusations of racism? Your accusation is offensive and out of line, and your childish snickering is immature..

Give peace a chance, give race a rest.
    Last edited by blackjack93117; 06-27-11 at 02:21 PM.
    sam_b77 likes this.
    06-27-11 12:11 PM
    yeah blackberry is huge in Mexico. Everytime I go down there for vacation, I see tons of people carrying blackberries. My best friend down there recently got a new phone and she picked up blackberry curve!!! instead of an IPhone. I told her how the Iphone was the dominant choice up here and she couldn't beleive it.
    06-27-11 01:12 PM
    Get over it. Some of us know what the context he was using his example, and it's not racist.

Great story OP and ignore the rest of the people who can't see the lighter side of life.
    Last edited by exzibit3; 06-27-11 at 01:36 PM.
    06-27-11 01:20 PM
    I didnt find anything racist... Anybody looks for a racist comment these days...

P.s Glad to hear the good news on the playbook side of things!
    06-27-11 01:31 PM
    I live in Guadalajara Mexico and when I went to bestbuy to buy my playbook, they already have sold three devices, by the way, I also own a xoom and my playbook has been converted as my primary device, I just also wish appworld to have more apps, can't wait to android player, I can confirm that the playbook has been well recieved in mexico
    kcdist likes this.
    06-27-11 02:18 PM
    I've lived in Mexico for over three years and had no idea that BestBuy was here!!! (well not here where I live but here in the country)

Have you seen any media reviews of the Playbook?

Does the average Guadalajara-ian know that Blackberries are made in their city? Does it make them more loyal to the product?

Thx
    06-27-11 02:43 PM
    He's talking about a COUNTRY not a race. You have to be racist yourself for that thought to even cross your mind, because clearly the word "racist" rolls very easily off of your tongue and therefore must be at the front of your mindless "mind".. Or, you are feeling guilty and self-loathing about something or, wishing to stir up trouble (race baiting) which personally I am sick of, because it causes more friction between races than actual racists do. Do you expect to become popular by unfounded and unproven accusations of racism? Your accusation is offensive and out of line, and your childish snickering is immature..

Give peace a chance, give race a rest.
    Do you see what I was trying to get at?
    He didn't have to be stereotypical in his post.
    Sorry, if my post offended any of you, I changed it for you.
    I'm sorry but I just HATE things like that and I used the WRONG word, I made a mistake because as you said I was not thinking.
    Last edited by r0v3rT3N; 06-27-11 at 02:54 PM.
    06-27-11 02:48 PM
    Stereotypical, perhaps a little biggoted, but Racist? Really? Get a life.

I didn't mean to offend you, I just don't like stereotypes at all.
    I'm sorry for making a word mistake we all do it sometimes, I was not thinking.
    06-27-11 02:56 PM
    I see exactly what you are trying to get at - when you hear "Mexico" you think race, not nationality. Mexico is a poor country, that is a fact. I would expect the population to be more thrifty in its purchase choices. None of that has anything to do with race, it has to do with the economic situation of a country.

The OP had no such thought. Think more carefully before you make such a radical accusation. It has come to the point where nobody can point out a true negative fact about an individual or group of people - or in this case a COUNTRY, without being labeled "racist".

I have been called "racist" far too many times for my taste, and for no other reason than the fact that I am NOT of "color". I was called racist once because I dared say that I like the South, I like Texas. That is reverse racism. I accept your apology, if it is sincere.
    anon(3896606) likes this.
    06-27-11 03:00 PM
    I see exactly what you are trying to get at - when you hear "Mexico" you think race, not nationality. Mexico is a poor country, that is a fact. I would expect the population to be more thrifty in its purchase choices. None of that has anything to do with race, it has to do with the economic situation of a country.

The OP had no such thought. Think more carefully before you make such a radical accusation. It has come to the point where nobody can point out a true negative fact about an individual or group of people - or in this case a COUNTRY, without being labeled "racist".

I have been called "racist" far too many times for my taste, and for no other reason than the fact that I am NOT of "color". I was called racist once because I dared say that I like the South, I like Texas. That is reverse racism. I accept your apology, if it is sincere.
    Thank you,
    I agree with everyone who said, You are not thinking.
    I wasn't I did not mean to say "Racist" nor to stir things up.
    I just plainly hate stereotypes.
    06-27-11 03:06 PM
    Aw shucks guys. I was just trying to formulate an attention grabbing Title. I'm like that. I need attention.

That said, as an Ex-pat Canadian, virtually every reference in Canadian newspapers about Mexico is either about, or mentions, the drug wars. It is such a small or even non-existent part of everyday life (except for those involved and those living in border cities) that it is maddening. So, yea, I can get sarcastic.

One think Blackjack - some parts of Mexico are poor for sure, but there is a thriving middle class here that constitutes about 30 million folks. Every been to Mexico City? Some of the most amazing Modern Architecture I have ever seen.

Bottom line, Mexico is a significant market for RIM, and they likely sell as many phones here as they do in Canada. Moreover, Mexico is host to a major manufacturing facility for RIM. It warms my heart that RIM spends a good chunk of it's manufacturing dollars in our continent, instead of sending it all to the far east like that other fruity company.

Fingers getting tired....need buttons instead of glass....must end post.
    06-27-11 03:17 PM
    Aw shucks guys. I was just trying to formulate an attention grabbing Title. I'm like that. I need attention.

That said, as an Ex-pat Canadian, virtually every reference in Canadian newspapers about Mexico is either about, or mentions, the drug wars. It is such a small or even non-existent part of everyday life (except for those involved and those living in border cities) that it is maddening. So, yea, I can get sarcastic.

One think Blackjack - some parts of Mexico are poor for sure, but there is a thriving middle class here that constitutes about 30 million folks. Every been to Mexico City? Some of the most amazing Modern Architecture I have ever seen.

Bottom line, Mexico is a significant market for RIM, and they likely sell as many phones here as they do in Canada. Moreover, Mexico is host to a major manufacturing facility for RIM. It warms my heart that RIM spends a good chunk of it's manufacturing dollars in our continent, instead of sending it all to the far east like that other fruity company.

Fingers getting tired....need buttons instead of glass....must end post.
    Sorry....
    06-27-11 03:28 PM
    Not racist at all Mexico is a mess with all the Cartels becareful there!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-27-11 03:34 PM
    Thanks for letting us "people" in our own little Crackberry world know how well the BlackBerry PRODUCTS are doing in Mexico. I like hearing and reading positive "anything" concerning the RIM company these days. Its nice to know that Blackberries are the main choice of smartphones somewhere!!.....How far is Mexico from New Jersey anyway?
    anon(3896606) likes this.
    06-27-11 03:34 PM
    I'm not trying to "stir" up anything...
    But seriously you didn't have to use THAT as the title...
    I changed the title and gave it a positive spin instead. Happy now!

To the OP, GREAT POST either way!
    anon(3896606) and Foreverup like this.
    06-27-11 03:39 PM

Thanks!
    And I forgot to mention that this is a great post.
    Last edited by r0v3rT3N; 06-27-11 at 03:48 PM.
    pkcable likes this.
    06-27-11 03:43 PM

Thank you,
    I agree with everyone who said, You are not thinking.
    I wasn't I did not mean to say "Racist" nor to stir things up.
    I just plainly hate stereotypes.
    Yes happy but saw nothing wrong with or untrue about the title. - my beef is having to reword things at all in the interest of political correctness, because the truth gets eventually hidden. There most definitely IS a drug war in Mexico, I am near the border of it, and it makes nobody a racist or wrong to point that truth out. True words should not have to be "reworded", even if they offend somebody. Hiding the truth is dangerous and kills.

Thanks r0v3rT3N for the sincere apology of what was clearly a mistake - down here in the states some of us people of "no color" are getting a little tired of being called racists for nothing more than say... criticizing the President?..or believing that open borders are a security risk... or in other cases, simply for having no color. I'm sure you didn't know....

I also don't like stereotypes, but the assumption is always that the stereotypes only go one way and are only made by persons of no color....
    Last edited by blackjack93117; 06-27-11 at 05:59 PM.
    06-27-11 03:43 PM

When i read the thread title i knew exactly what you were getting at. I didnt take it in a negative way at all. (Not that i would, even though im of mexican descent)

The second paragraph surprised the mess out of me. My dad lives in Mexico. My gf has been asking when we will be visiting. I tell her we cant because its too dangerous what with the whole drug war going on. Looks like i was very wrong.
    06-27-11 04:37 PM
26 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD