just got a playbook for my birthday, good so far. I do have on question, I have a bunch of movies on an NAS all different formats, I have no problem streaming them on my bold 9700 (in the browser) using twonkey media server that is built into the NAS but for some reason they wont work on the playbook. just wondering if anyone had any ideas as to why.
    04-28-11 06:56 PM
    Thats because the DLNA support has not been added yet which supports streaming. But its in the works and should be available in some future update,
    04-28-11 07:06 PM
    In the mean-time, you can push some that you like onto the PB using a PC (less convenient to be sure, but a stop-gap until DLNA arrives).
    04-28-11 07:16 PM
    DLNA was my first thought as well, but this is a web based media server, also i have one video that does work its either an .mp4 or a .mov so i am now wondering if it is a compatability issue. What movie file types is this thing supposed to be able to handle? It would be a shame if for some reason my bold could handle .avi and other such media types but the playbook couldn't.
    04-28-11 08:05 PM
    What media type? Click here.

If you can stream from a PC, check Orb. It allows to stream from your PC to ANYWHERE on the Internet. Instructions here.
    04-28-11 09:25 PM
    the only media I have really had problems with are mkv files, ac3 audio, some poorly encoded avi's where the audio and video drift out of sync after an hour. stick with mpeg4 and aac audio until mkv containers are supported.
    any particular videos you're having trouble with? do you know the stream formats and containers (avi I presume) ?
    This is common amongst media players, and is probably why apple opts to limit the supported video formats on their devices.
    I think out-of-the-box, the playbook still has the lead in variety of codecs supported, and they are just going to keep adding to that.

also - please have a search through the threads here.. there are already numerous discussions around which video formats people are using on their Playbooks. Numerous transcoding and remuxing threads. Also some threads about setting up streaming servers, etc.
    04-28-11 09:26 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD