Meanwhile, in California... It's sunny but the snow's only a couple hours away if I want to play on it...
    04-05-12 08:42 PM
    In that situation, an iPad would probably work better...

...as a snow shovel to clear off the satellite dish.

Click to view quoted image
    if only there was...........
    04-05-12 08:47 PM
    Yes you can average that out to 10cm a day, BUT the problem is, we had 38cm dumped one day, and another 26cm 2 days later, and a few other days of 15cm+ and as was stated already, the sheer size of TO versus smaller cities makes a big difference. When you can't get side streets cleared and the Army has to bring people to hospitals because the ambulances can't get through on side streets, you know there is a problem
    Yea thats what i thought... i remember it being only a few days with most of the snow. I agree it was a very bad situation. I just think that we should have shown the guys who train to save our lives a little more respect then to have THEM shovel our snow while most of us sat inside with the heat maxed out.

Dont get me wrong, we needed the help... but i thought it was a bit degrading for them to do that.
    04-05-12 11:07 PM
    And do you remember why Mayor Mel Lastman did it? We had over 100cm of snow fall within a 1.5week period, Toronto crews could not keep up. As funny as it was, it was a serious issue at the time, and we all laugh about it now.
    Hah! What big-city mayor is so silly as to panic when the streets aren't cleared quickly? Snowpocalypse Then: How the Blizzard of 1979 Cost the Election for Michael Bilandic - The 312 - February 2011 - Chicago
    04-06-12 01:18 AM
    Going out to pick strawberries with the grandchildren today. Glad it hasn't snowed in Houston to 2 years.
    04-06-12 07:05 AM
    haha love it here in toronto its a toasty 3 degrees lol
    04-06-12 08:23 AM
    yes cool story, you never know maybe just maybe ipad dude will give playbook a try
    04-06-12 08:30 AM
    Going out to pick strawberries with the grandchildren today. Glad it hasn't snowed in Houston to 2 years.
    Houston, eh? Looking forward a couple months, I hope that 68 'Stang has A/C; it hasn't been as hot and humid here in Chicago as it gets every summer in Houston in 17 years. Enjoy the cooler weather (and the tasty strawberries) while you can, my friend!
    68pony likes this.
    04-06-12 09:36 AM
    A while back one of our genius members of office in toronto decided to call in the army to shovel snow. I was pretty young so it was cool to see it, but it was a pretty dumb thing to do
    Considering most cities in Canada get much more snow than Toronto And never seem to need outside assistance I agree.
    04-06-12 10:26 AM
    40 times the population, hmmm, sounds like it should of been cleared 40x faster then, just sayin.
    The population doesn't move the snow, they just get in the way so it's actually 40x slower.
    04-06-12 10:39 AM
    Considering most cities in Canada get much more snow than Toronto And never seem to need outside assistance I agree.
    Which is exactly why they were't prepared for it.

Don't worry, we made fun of them too.
    Toronto got a foot of snow! We'll clean it up when we are done with the 4' we have here.
    04-06-12 10:44 AM
    the weather yesterday was so stupid in edmonton, i hated going to school for it like that just before a holiday. my wind mobile services was fine though, no disconnection
    04-06-12 11:01 AM
    Yea thats what i thought... i remember it being only a few days with most of the snow. I agree it was a very bad situation. I just think that we should have shown the guys who train to save our lives a little more respect then to have THEM shovel our snow while most of us sat inside with the heat maxed out.

Dont get me wrong, we needed the help... but i thought it was a bit degrading for them to do that.
    With the population density of downtown, if there was another storm, emergency services would be overwhelmed. Grocery stores, gas stations would run out, and the homeless population would start to see casualties - people will die, that's not a joke. Seems funny until you realize that many of Canada's poor live in the GTA, no cars, transit down. What do you think will happen to them?
    04-06-12 03:53 PM
    Get serious he had no business calling in the army and he is still the laughing stock in the rest of Canada to this day.
    We have major snow storms and went through a god dam ICE Storm in 98 and only called them in to clear debris.
    04-06-12 04:03 PM
    I'm from Toronto and I was in elementary during that snow storm. I went to London Ontario in February 2011 and that's where the real snow is at. Comes down in buckets and we got us in Toronto whining about a few flurries. The snow out there was comparable to that snow storm and I think if that snow storm was bad I can only imagine what northern Ontario looked like :s
    04-06-12 08:47 PM
    #winning !!!
    04-07-12 12:28 AM
    Get serious he had no business calling in the army and he is still the laughing stock in the rest of Canada to this day.
    We have major snow storms and went through a god dam ICE Storm in 98 and only called them in to clear debris.

I went through the 98 ice storm too. My area was 4 days to 2 months without power. The army was here the second day of the blackout and were weren't allowed in or out of the city. They did a lot more than clear debris.

I had a place in Belleville willing to take us if the army would lift the blockade, and it was a no go.

As far as T.O. we laugh now but at the time it was a very, very bad situation. I'm guessing some of the comments are from people not from Canada who presume Toronto is the same size as Kingston?

, my city is 25000 strong and it still takes 2-4 days for the plows to clear everything once they clear the major roads. Now, considering in Tdot they were fighting with stuck SUVs where they should have been able to plow...it wasn't as simple as some would believe.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    OttawaGabe likes this.
    04-07-12 12:45 AM
    Houston, eh? Looking forward a couple months, I hope that 68 'Stang has A/C; it hasn't been as hot and humid here in Chicago as it gets every summer in Houston in 17 years. Enjoy the cooler weather (and the tasty strawberries) while you can, my friend!
    I love Chicago in the summer. Spent the winter of 75 there at Great Lakes Navy base with record snow levels. That was enough for this warm weather boy. By the way, the Mustang does have a/c. I put the top down in October and put it up and turn on the a/c in May.
    Last edited by 68pony; 04-07-12 at 06:44 AM. Reason: Corrected year
    04-07-12 06:42 AM
    With the population density of downtown, if there was another storm, emergency services would be overwhelmed. Grocery stores, gas stations would run out, and the homeless population would start to see casualties - people will die, that's not a joke. Seems funny until you realize that many of Canada's poor live in the GTA, no cars, transit down. What do you think will happen to them?
    Absolute nonsense. The decision to call in the army to assist with snow removal in Toronto was a pure over reaction based on an over inflated view of their own importance just as was Harpers decision to legislate Air Canada workers back work before they had even gone on strike.

Many cities have survived large snow storms, and will again. We live in Canada, it's what we do. That particular decision remains an embarrassment to the good people of Toronto, hence the thin skinned attempt at justification by some.
    04-07-12 07:05 AM
    Clear debris, clear snow..., I don't see much difference.

Just messin' with ya balding.

After the Ice Storm we (Atlantic Canada) sent crews to the New England states to help clean up. That was much worse than the blizzard of '92.
    04-07-12 07:20 AM
45 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD