Anyway paul I ran an nmap -sX scan but it seems to be blocked, I get "[host down, received no-response]". Running a -sS scan shows ports 139, 443 and 445 open... I'm very interested in what that HTTPS port is for.
    Backdoor.
    06-23-13 10:44 PM
    It was pretty insane of them not to include a UI framework of some kind of native PB development. I'm actually using a gaming library to write all of my Playbook apps just because I want C++ level performance but I do not want to have to recreate everything from scratch. I've done Cascades for the Z10 and I would love to see Cascades on the Playbook. It's absolutely no wonder the Playbook has a game to app ratio of 10:1. Nobody needs a UI framework to make games.
    blueberrymerry likes this.
    06-23-13 11:01 PM
    BB10 can run on 1GB, it just needs trimming and optimization. Which takes a lot of testing and time.

And rim has never been great about communication lol.

Posted via CB10
    How much money do you think BB is going to spend on bringing bb10 to the playbook? I doubt they could get away with the initial release. One or two maintenance releases would also likely be required. Gonna be a tough promise to keep.
    Last edited by DrBoomBotz; 06-24-13 at 05:56 PM.
    FF22 likes this.
    06-23-13 11:49 PM
    I'm glad my thread has inspired such a great discussion. Some of which is over my head because I'm basically a technology layman.

I really hope bb does bring bb10 to the pb. As a PlayBook owner and someone who really believes in bb. I don't want them to break their promises, as it just looks really bad on the company. I thought that bb 10 would be the os that really creates a mobile computing revolution. Guess we'll see.

The pb is great in some ways, but to be frank I ultimately have found it inadequate and I wish I had an ipad instead. I was afraid the z10 might have the same crappy browser as the pb and I'm glad it does not.

Posted via CB10
    06-24-13 12:33 AM
    I got 2 playbooks and all that i feel im missing would be a snappier browser ( origami works quite well though) and the ability to run a few of the bb10 aps like waze so i can drop a playbook in my car (now also that torque is out) Don't play any games and for the rest im more on my z10.

Z10 Rocking 10.1.0.2354!
    06-24-13 12:49 AM
    At this point I agree with a sentiment already shared: communication would go a LONG way.
    06-24-13 12:52 AM
    If they can't release BB10 due to the RAM (or any other reason) would people be satisfied with a version 3.0 with proper bridge, an updated browser, full android runtime and a GUI change to make it look more 'BB10-like'?

Because that would do for me
    06-24-13 03:56 AM
    Engineers are smart people. If given the time to do so, you would be amazed what they can pull off and what problems they can solve.

I have no doubt in my mind that they could absolutely optimize BlackBerry 10 to run on the PlayBook ... if instructed to do so and given the time to under-take the effort.

Absolutely. That is why I believe that the problem at BB is not technical but political.

One possible explanation is that BB has become parasited by Canadian cronies, trusting all the executives positions, not wanting to work for BB but instead wanting BB to work for them, so that they can play golf during work-time until retirement, and after that "apr�s moi le d�luge".

In that sense all the novelties that we have seen recently would be not genuine attempts to serve the clients and reconquer markets, but communication attempts to make the public believe they are still active, until all the executives are retired with bonified pensions.

In that sense Heins would be a mere puppet, just shown to make believe it is a younger generation that holds power, and that there is a European or international dimension whereas in fact it is all about extremely provincial cronies playing golf around Toronto.
    blueberrymerry likes this.
    06-24-13 05:21 AM
    Insufficient ram or not, Blackberry has another severe limitation and that is resources. I don't know if the BB decision makers can be blamed for that or not but the fact is we saw a panicking company last year cancel all vacations for employees and a directive sent out to work overtime "to get bb10 out by Jan 1"... Meaning there was zero attention and development given to the playbook outside of minor things here and there.

I don't work there nor do I have a "mother's brother's cousin's one legged milkman living doen the road whose niece use to date a guy that worked for blackberry" so I wont prrtend to know what work conditions are like inside the company but operational discipline may be a factor here. We found out recently that indeed there was a lot of dead weight still employed there and a lot if waste, like highly paid groups of people sitting around doing very little but disagreeing on things... So I am sure the "old boy's club/that's just the way we do things here" mentality may exist, causing long lunches, long breaks around the water cooler, time spent playing solitaire instead of developing software.... It does happen. Studies have shown such reasons are the greatest source of loss in some corporations today.
    06-24-13 05:44 AM
    That's a worse situation than Nokia had with a few thousand Symbian developers sitting around re-inventing the wheel, trying to kill other sibling divisions and trying to murder Meego in the crib

There could be a lot of dead weight at BBRY, especially at the middle management level. That could be why things take such a long time to be fixed and communication to the end customer is so lacking. They supposedly have a thousand developers working on BB10 but it's ridiculous that not a single one has spoken out about BB10 for PB. I really hope the company isn't staffed by clueless management types who spout MBA-speak while looking forward to that weekend golf game...
    06-24-13 06:11 AM
    That's a worse situation than Nokia had with a few thousand Symbian developers sitting around re-inventing the wheel, trying to kill other sibling divisions and trying to murder Meego in the crib

There could be a lot of dead weight at BBRY, especially at the middle management level. That could be why things take such a long time to be fixed and communication to the end customer is so lacking. They supposedly have a thousand developers working on BB10 but it's ridiculous that not a single one has spoken out about BB10 for PB. I really hope the company isn't staffed by clueless management types who spout MBA-speak while looking forward to that weekend golf game...
    Well, for example... Thorsten himself admitted BlackBerry was "A little thick in the Hips". You could easily translate that into too much middle management.

You also hear of stories like blackberry still employing software developers (don't know how many) that are still working on the Storm 1 OS (!!!!!!). On a c rack berry podcast months ago Kevin mentioned the existence of a group of high paid decision makers whose exclusive jib was to review every OS and, unless a unanimous vote takes place saying it gets the stamp of approval, the OS goes back for more work.

You can easily make the case that if even these conditions truly exist, Slackberry has a huge red tape problem.
    06-24-13 08:26 AM
    I was afraid the z10 might have the same crappy browser as the pb and I'm glad it does not.
    My experience is that the Z10 browser is substantially faster, smoother and more stable than the PlayBooks browser.
    06-24-13 08:47 AM
62 123