Retired Moderator

Global Posts
    9,184 Global Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

Default Marvell Worked on the PlayBook...

Marvell worked on the PlayBook for 6 months before RIM ditched them for TI??

Marvell Worked on BlackBerry PlayBook for 6 Months Before TI?

If any of you follow me or my posts you know I mentioned RIM using the latest Marvell processor in RIM products. I'm not saying RIM will not use them again, but the had their shot at the big time....
    Thanked by 3:
    andyahs (03-08-2011),  BlackStormRising (03-08-2011),  UrbanGlowCam (03-08-2011) 
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    4,938 Global Posts

Do you think RIM made the right choice CX?
    CrackBerry Genius of Geniuses

Global Posts
    10,969 Global Posts
    PIN
    PIN ?

Quote Originally Posted by Crucial_Xtreme View Post
    Marvell worked on the PlayBook for 6 months before RIM ditched them for TI??

Marvell Worked on BlackBerry PlayBook for 6 Months Before TI?

If any of you follow me or my posts you know I mentioned RIM using the latest Marvell processor in RIM products. I'm not saying RIM will not use them again, but the had their shot at the big time....
    Marvell, RIM and the consumers lost on this one.

Will the PlayBook be able to recover from the Marvell setback, or has the timeline irreparably nixed the tablets competitive edge?
    They will have to push it hard.
    CrackBerry Genius

PIN
    T anyone?

Definite bummer for RIM, Marvell and the consumers. Should RIM release that info as an "excuse"?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    CrackBerry Genius

This is me on the way to Marvell HQ.....

but seriously, that seems like a feasible explanation for such an early announcement. CX i remember you saying that now, just forgot because that was back when i wasn't too familiar with CPUs and their companies.
    *Storm 9530->Storm2 9550->Bold 9930 -> Black BlackBerry Z10 (80GB) on VZW
    *BlackBerry PlayBook 32GB

A gift of any size supports the lifesaving mission of the American Red Cross whether it's responding to a disaster, collecting lifesaving blood, teaching skills that can save a life, or assisting our military members and their families. Donate to The American Red Cross.

lets be realistic, it was announced as dual core and Q1 2011 back at devcon, so all this BS about being late and times slipping etc is wrong until end march, but either way they said when mike held it up that it was 2011.

could marvell get software and hardware to work? no

can TI? well yes. marvell for me wont be missed.

Thorsten said ZED 10. deal with it
    My Apps in BlackBerry World
    My Platinum 9900

For all my themes - BBThemes.co.uk and follow me on @BBThemes1
    CrackBerry Abuser

PIN
    Scan the barcode...

I think we can all agree that if Marvell was able to get their stuff and get the PlayBook out the door a few months ago, the tablet landscape would look significantly more different than it does now.
    could you imagine a December or January release? It would have been epic. The PlayBook would be the tablet to beat and not playing catch up.

But the eternal optimist in me thinks the PlayBook can still put up a good fight when it eventually gets released.
    I love my PlayBook!
    CrackBerry Genius

Quote Originally Posted by mcjohn View Post
    could you imagine a December or January release? It would have been epic. The PlayBook would be the tablet to beat and not playing catch up.

But the eternal optimist in me thinks the PlayBook can still put up a good fight when it eventually gets released.
    Everytime i see Mike or Jim or even the Ryan Bidan guy for the PlayBook, i get soooo jealous because they really know what's going on. Makes me want to rent "mind reading for dummies" and go meet one of them.

A gift of any size supports the lifesaving mission of the American Red Cross whether it's responding to a disaster, collecting lifesaving blood, teaching skills that can save a life, or assisting our military members and their families. Donate to The American Red Cross.
    CrackBerry Genius

CX, makes me wonder if the Armada 628 you always talked about was the culprit. Guess we'll never know. Either way, the TI sounds amazing.
    Retired Moderator

Global Posts
    9,184 Global Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #10  

Quote Originally Posted by D_March View Post
    Do you think RIM made the right choice CX?
    Yes!!! The TI OMAP is one of the best processors on the market.

Global Posts
    6,960 Global Posts

RIM really needs to stop fracturing their phone lineup processors too... Just go with Qualcomm across both GSM and CDMA lines. I think they are doing that, but there is that Tavor M1 rumored for the Apollo.
    CrackBerry Genius

makes it worth it then!

CrackBerry Genius

+1.

Go check out comparisons with the processor in the xoom online. The processor in the playbook outperforms the one in the xoom.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    CrackBerry Abuser

Armada 628 would have been a huge deal to have in the PB. Maybe they will still have the 628 in BB phones. The fuctionality of that processor to balance speed and power seemed ideal.

If that article is true.... that is too bad they did not get the PB out before christmas b/c of the processor. I would bet the Gtab sales would have been a lot less if the PB was on the market.
    O.G.

Global Posts
    12,205 Global Posts

TI's OMAP processors are great. Had then in my Moto Android devices and they perform extremely well.