Hi,
    I was wondering if anyone knows if there is away via an app or otherwise to navigate using your own maps? I would like to use my playbook to help navigate trails but none of the main stream Google and bings have trails in their maps. I know there is away to overlay map data onto Google Earth and Google maps from a pc using kml and kmz files, but I can't find anything online about doing it from a tablet. Was wondering if anyone tried
    Thanks in advance
    Tylenol
    01-13-13 11:44 AM
    Which country are you in? I know bing maps have OS maps in the UK, not quite trail maps I know
    01-13-13 11:53 AM
    Nogago Maps (free in app world) is an offshoot of Osmand Maps, and is geared towards hikers and shows trails- in the US at least.
    01-13-13 12:06 PM
    I use Osmand which may have good trail maps. Perhaps that lets you import local maps as well.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9810 using Crackberry Tapatalk Forum app
    01-13-13 12:13 PM
    I live in Nova Scotia Canada, the trails I am most concerned with are not in any publicized database, however that's not to say the apps previously mentioned do not have some of them delineated from ariel photography or some other means so I will defiantly give them a try. The advantage of using my own data would be so I can use and display information I already collected or given to me. This way I could try and create and package a comprehensive dataset of ns trails for distribution, not for profit. The Nova Scotia topographic database has a good portion of trails and fire roads but even that database is missing usable routes.
    Oh just thought of another good use, if I could upload my property lines then when I am out cutting wood I could use the pb to keep me from wondering onto my neighbors property, hehe.
    Anyway thanks for the reply I am going to give those apps a try
    01-13-13 12:41 PM
    I am in NB so I know what you are talking about. I use Topo maps for ATV trails.
    There is an app called TrekBuddy that works fairly well.
    It's at trekbuddy.net and is a .BAR file that you will have to sideload.
    There is a process to convert existing maps. I haven't done it in a while but I don't think it was that bad.
    01-14-13 01:58 PM
    Awesome,
    I got a bunch sideloaded already so it shouldn't be a problem.
    Thanks angus
    01-17-13 01:46 PM
    I live in Nova Scotia Canada, the trails I am most concerned with are not in any publicized database, however that's not to say the apps previously mentioned do not have some of them delineated from ariel photography or some other means so I will defiantly give them a try. The advantage of using my own data would be so I can use and display information I already collected or given to me. This way I could try and create and package a comprehensive dataset of ns trails for distribution, not for profit. The Nova Scotia topographic database has a good portion of trails and fire roads but even that database is missing usable routes.
    Oh just thought of another good use, if I could upload my property lines then when I am out cutting wood I could use the pb to keep me from wondering onto my neighbors property, hehe.
    Anyway thanks for the reply I am going to give those apps a try
    I just went to maps.google.com and using satellite view I can see the faint lines of trails, switching to map view I can see that they don't show.

You can go to Google Map Maker and start to add in those trails yourself, it's a pretty easy process once you get going. You'll also need other people to approve your edits, but if you get a few people in your area to join in it can go quickly.
    01-17-13 02:02 PM
    He is going to need an offline solution.
    Trails in Nova Scotia don't have WiFi and in a lot of cases no 3G/4G either.
    01-17-13 03:27 PM
    I meant for a long term solution, if you start to build out the Google maps, eventually that data will be used for offline maps.
    01-17-13 03:55 PM