Just got my PlayBook today (after being shipped 20,000 km over 10 days�� jippi!) and I am in the process of trying out all the good things. The only disappointment is that the PlayBook App World does not work here in South East Asia (as expected�). I get the error that I am not in a supported country. So I am thinking of how I can bypass this issue (for BlackBerry, I use BlackBerry App World 2.0.0.36 over WiFi and get by this), and make the PlayBook think that it is connected to the internet in the United States. I know that the way to solve this is to use some sort proxy setup. What I want to achieve, if possible, is something like this: use one WiFi access point connected to my switch. Via this additional WiFi access point, I would like to connect to a proxy server (I am not sure how this would happen) so that every network unit connected to this WiFi would think that they are connected to a US internet infrastructure.

Is this possible? Has anyone tried this avenue? Or have someone already cracked they way out of this little issue? Please help!
    05-02-11 03:24 AM
    I have a modem at home that's connected to the states, i plugged in a wireless router and success! I have access to Appworld and all US sites.
    I will try to figure out how it's done and inform you if i can.
    05-02-11 03:28 AM
    South east asia? Where are you? I'm in India, and app world has not given me any problems. Downloaded quite a few apps on the PB. Music store works and so does Kobo.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-02-11 03:28 AM
    I have a modem at home that's connected to the states, i plugged in a wireless router and success! I have access to Appworld and all US sites.
    I will try to figure out how it's done and inform you if i can.
    appreciate if u could help me out also. =)
    05-02-11 03:32 AM
    @Siiid � thanks. Indeed, I was thinking about something similar, although done via the WiFi route.

@sam_b77 � I am living in Brunei Darussalam. I managed to do everything (software updates, web, etc). The only issue is app world. I am running the latest firmware update. Which firmware version are you running? Weird (but good for you) that are you would be able to connect. I hope it is a minor setting, and nothing major rework I need to do in order to make it work.
    05-02-11 03:40 AM
    @Siiid � thanks. Indeed, I was thinking about something similar, although done via the WiFi route.

@sam_b77 � I am living in Brunei Darussalam. I managed to do everything (software updates, web, etc). The only issue is app world. I am running the latest firmware update. Which firmware version are you running? Weird (but good for you) that are you would be able to connect. I hope it is a minor setting, and nothing major rework I need to do in order to make it work.
    I have read about someone who was travelling to spain with his PB and he faced the same problem.
    I basically identified my location as United States in the initial setup. I'm running 1710 ..

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-02-11 04:09 AM
    I'm in south east asia and I have no problems with Playbook App World.

Anyway, if you want to have a US ip address, you can use VPN (proxy never worked for me). There are a lot of VPN services out there offering US IP addresses. Unfortunately, playbook do not support PPTP (I really hope that they do support it as a general consumer VPN option). Alternatively, you can configure your router with openVPN.
    05-02-11 05:43 AM
    bogs01 - Are you in a country which has the normal BlackBerry App world (via BlackBerry phone) available? I think that might be the difference. In Brunei, there is BlackBerry services, but BlackBerry App world is not available (totally screwed up setup, I must say...)

Also, I choose US when I first started the PlayBook
    05-02-11 06:19 AM
    bogs01 -I have never dealt with VPN. Understand that the PlayBook does not have this option. Would you be able to (if possible) advise on some VPN services that are of good quality?
    05-02-11 06:43 AM
    bogs01 -I have never dealt with VPN. Understand that the PlayBook does not have this option. Would you be able to (if possible) advise on some VPN services that are of good quality?
    the playbook has VPN, its just that, the generic protocol (PPTP VPN) is not supported.

im currently using strongvpn (strongvpn.com). great service, I only have the PPTP VPN service which I can't use on the Playbook (sucks!). If playbook do not support PPTP soon, I might upgrade my package to open VPN and configure my router to connect to their service (all devices connected to that router will have a US IP).
    05-02-11 06:58 AM
    bogs01 - Are you in a country which has the normal BlackBerry App world (via BlackBerry phone) available? I think that might be the difference. In Brunei, there is BlackBerry services, but BlackBerry App world is not available (totally screwed up setup, I must say...)

Also, I choose US when I first started the PlayBook
    Ah, yes. Our BB phones have app world activated.
    05-02-11 06:59 AM
    Bogs01 - thanks for the tip. I have looked at securevpn and indeed it looks very good.

Think I have found a way. I am going to try it out. If it works, then I will post a mini
    guide on the forum.
    05-03-11 06:46 AM
    Hi, I live in U.A.E and I use strongvpn.com, I bought Linksys router and i modified it to be a vpn router ( my router is now wireless vpn) ,appworld works as if i am in the U.S.
    Last edited by tarsam; 05-03-11 at 06:49 PM.
    05-03-11 06:46 PM
    tarsam - thank you for your comment. Quick question: with wireless VPN, you mena that the access point now has the VPN setting, right?

So I managed to sort it out and I am now using BlackBerry App world on my PlayBook. This is the how I did it:

* A PPTP light account from strongvpn.com (had server name, username and password within an hour)
    * An Asus 520GC WiFi access point / router flashed to dd-wrt (www.dd-wrt.com | Unleash Your Router)
    * Beside normal security setting, I used the following guide to enter the details for the PPTP protocol: StrongVPN.com - Dynamic IP PPTP Setup for DD-WRT Routers (Connection Type Method)
    * Plugged the WAN port of the Asus router into the main router.
    * A reboot, and the router was up and running with a US IP. PlayBokk connected and now BlackBerry App world is working smoothly.

Really happy with this solution, and enjoyng new apps from App World. Let me know if anyone needs any help in setting up a similar configuration.
    05-03-11 11:51 PM
    THE PPTP LITE account is paid account right! besides,have a us robotics router with no custom firmware support from dd-wrt. So is there any general tweak or hack or way around to bypass country check in PB? For WP7, the hotmail account profile needed to be altered to USA and market ran fine, perhaps the development mode may be a way!
    05-04-11 03:14 PM
    @MUGAHALGXT - Indeed, it is apid account. It costs 7 USD per month. Regarding country check in PlayBook: my understanding is that the only check the PlayBook can do is the IP address of your ISP. That was my issue. It doesn't matter which country you select in the initial set-up (there are only limited options anyway).
    I am not sure what you mean by WP7. Further, I haven't tried the development mode either.
    On the other hand, if RIM decides to introduce PPTP to PlayBook (as mentioned by another user in this thread), the problem solved. No matter where you would connect, as long as the ISP does not block PPTP, you always have american IP address.

Hope this helps
    05-05-11 03:25 AM
    Hi, to make the app world working in non-supported countries you need US proxy or VPN. i tried the US proxy from xproxy.com and it work for me in UAE.
    05-05-11 04:17 AM
    guys it's very easy! just setup ur wifi connection manually and assign a US ip and port to it and voila you will be able to access it.
    05-08-11 05:27 AM
    guys it's very easy! just setup ur wifi connection manually and assign a US ip and port to it and voila you will be able to access it.
    could you be more specific?
    05-08-11 06:50 AM
    tarsam - thank you for your comment. Quick question: with wireless VPN, you mena that the access point now has the VPN setting, right?

So I managed to sort it out and I am now using BlackBerry App world on my PlayBook. This is the how I did it:

* A PPTP light account from strongvpn.com (had server name, username and password within an hour)
    * An Asus 520GC WiFi access point / router flashed to dd-wrt (www.dd-wrt.com | Unleash Your Router)
    * Beside normal security setting, I used the following guide to enter the details for the PPTP protocol: StrongVPN.com - Dynamic IP PPTP Setup for DD-WRT Routers (Connection Type Method)
    * Plugged the WAN port of the Asus router into the main router.
    * A reboot, and the router was up and running with a US IP. PlayBokk connected and now BlackBerry App world is working smoothly.

Really happy with this solution, and enjoyng new apps from App World. Let me know if anyone needs any help in setting up a similar configuration.
    I was wondering, is it possible to skip the router and create a vpn profile on the playbook using the strongvpn settings to connection to app world?
    05-16-11 08:59 AM
    I was wondering, is it possible to skip the router and create a vpn profile on the playbook using the strongvpn settings to connection to app world?
    currently no. no native pptp support in playbook.
    05-16-11 10:04 AM
    How about if we get a VPN with a US IP and use our browser to connect to appworld and download from there? The website would download it to our BB device wouldn't it?
    05-17-11 02:43 AM
    Need a US IP. As long as you had that you should be good to go.
    05-17-11 02:53 AM
    Ok I got it working using a VPN account and routing the traffic from my macbook pro.

1. Get an account with StrongVPN or you can try out with a free VPN service first, just to test it out. I tested using bestfreevpn.com.
    2. Set the VPN account in System Preferences. Also set "Sent all traffic over VPN connection" in the Advance options.
    3. Set Internet Sharing via AirPort with share connection from the VPN account in System Preferences.
    4. Connect VPN and then turn on the Internet Sharing.
    5. Connect the BB PB to the wireless hotspot and you're good to go.

Some issues that I found is that it is best if you don't have a password for the wireless connection. Certain time of the day, the connection would be a bit slow but its alright. Probably coz it routed from the MBP.

Thanks portal for the first guide. I was actually about to get a new router after reading that guide. )
    05-17-11 06:10 PM
    Here's what worked for me.

Go to www.nntime.com and select a proxy from a country supported in App World:

1. Go to PlayBook Options > Wi-Fi
    2. Choose your saved WiFi network (or add a new one)
    3. Edit the network (pencil icon)
    4. Check the box Use HTTP Proxy
    5. Enter your proxy settingsfrom nntime.com:

5. Click Save and Connect

You may have to disconnect WiFi and re-connect before opening App World. After entering the proxy I could install BlackBerry News:

12-09-11 07:58 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD