Hey Folks,

I wanted to share with you my Playbook stand! I made it today out of a few bits laying around the garage/basement. I have attached a PDF with instructions on how to assemble, and a bunch of photos. Made of almost FREE stuff, it works great! You can unscrew the legs to transport flat if needed.

Otherwise, works great for landscape/portrait mode and allows you to still plug in charging stand. Doesn't obscure camera either on front or back. Looks pretty good too. Some improvements you can do is make a hole to thread your charging cable through back of stand. Otherwise, not bad for 5 minutes of work!

Enjoy and comment! Make your own stands and post photos in this THREAD!!!

(Updates : I've embedded a few more pictures for people who aren't logged in to Crackberry):

Back of the stand:

The parts:

Last edited by edyb; 06-02-12 at 11:13 AM. Reason: added embedded image
    06-01-12 03:19 PM
    Here are the last couple pictures (reached maximum on last post). See the PDF file for all the details and photos. Thanks Crackberry!

Last edited by edyb; 06-02-12 at 10:42 AM. Reason: added embedded image
    06-01-12 03:21 PM
    M.O.M.A. would be proud.
    06-01-12 03:32 PM
    Great work that's a pretty cool stand. The best things are usually simple.
    06-01-12 03:35 PM
    Nice job, this is about as handy as I am at creating things lol

Last edited by jwn66; 06-01-12 at 03:52 PM.
    06-01-12 03:48 PM
    Nice job, this is about as handy as I am lol

Click to view quoted image
    Does the job eh. No instructions needed !
    kozmo68 likes this.
    06-01-12 03:53 PM
    Nice job, this is about as handy as I am at creating things lol

Click to view quoted image
    Just as effective and dishwasher safe!
    hpjrt likes this.
    06-01-12 03:54 PM
    Nice work, altho I'm not really loving the CD case part. Maybe a picture frame would work well if you found the right size. Plus it wouldn't just look like an empty stand when the PB is removed. Hmmm, I think I might have a weekend project. (as if I don't have enough things to do already...)

There's a thread here with a few more DIY options.
    http://forums.crackberry.com/showthr...89#post6955289
    06-01-12 03:55 PM
    I also made a similar stand from some items i found knocking around my desk at work. an empty cd case, a fairly long wire tie, a paper clip and a plastic fork. Everything is transparent except for the paper clip lol. It is surprisingly sturdy (can even support a much larger ipad) but not very aesthetically pleasing lol.

The wire tie at the front actually is to stop the cd case from sliding backwards.

Yours is nice though. Ill probably make a nicer one when i get time for home.
    anon(3641385) and Lhendr like this.
    06-01-12 05:56 PM
    Very creative OP. 2 thumbs up.
    06-01-12 06:02 PM
    Golly gee I love dyi stuff ...... go for it guys!!!

(I got a free charging stand given to me now so I use it - but prior to that I was using a largish empty lozenger pack as a lean to - and had a newspaper folded behind that to block it from falling over, lol .... )
    06-01-12 06:09 PM
    I like the other DIY stands posted on the thread. Seems most people are using CD jewel cases like me, as they are everywhere and easy to get a hold of. They are also a good size.

Just a matter of making a couple holes and installing the hardware (some bolts and nuts) and that solves the problem. I will do another one from the other HALF of my CD jewel case that I didn't use, and show you soon!
    06-01-12 06:45 PM
    Simple, quick, and does the job. Nice work, OP
    06-01-12 08:57 PM
    Good job OP, very creative..
    06-01-12 09:00 PM
    y'all are innovative! i love it
    06-01-12 09:05 PM
    Ok, so I made a 2nd Playbook stand out of the other half of the CD jewel case!!! Used 2 bolts, 2 washers, 2 nuts, and 2 angle brackets. Took me 3 minutes, had to drill just two holes in the CD jewel case and assembled in no time at all! Check it out:

Here is the 2nd version... Uses original bolts/nuts as explained in my PDF. I used the part of the CD jewel case that is the cover (not the back) so it has those extra "legs" sticking out at one end. I took advantage of this fact, as you will see later, I can pass a charging cord underneath from behind the stand!

Here is the back of it:

You can see a close-up of the actual nut/bolt/washer and angle bracket here, and that extra "leg" I mentioned on the CD jewel case clear plastic, which was part of the hinge on the original CD jewel case cover.

Here you see the front of it, showing the other end of the bolt.

I uploaded the images (attached) and have embedded them here.
    Last edited by edyb; 06-02-12 at 10:44 AM. Reason: added images embedded
    niazdokrat, Cracklen and rshew like this.
    06-01-12 09:08 PM
    I've included a few more pictures. This time, to show the charging cable passing through behind the stand. The area under the stand is now open (my original photos used the back of the CD cover so no hinges). This 2nd version uses the front of the CD cover which has hinges, and so I used them to act as "legs" and get this nice side-effect!

The "legs" might be a bit fragile so you have to be careful with your stand!

Here's a front shot showing the charging cable passing through behind the stand.

Here's a close-up showing how it gets under, with enough room not to bend the cable too much.

The back of the stand with cable passing through.

Here's a side view. You can keep your Playbook charging at night with your favourite Alarm Clock running, no fear of running out of battery, or on your desk. The stand is unobtrusive and looks quite nice.

(I've embedded the images in the post and attached them)
    Last edited by edyb; 06-02-12 at 10:46 AM. Reason: added embedded images
    06-01-12 09:18 PM
    Finally, a close-up of the PARTS. They should be VERY EASY to find around the house/garage/basement. If you have trouble, head over to your local hardware shop with a print-out of these photos and they will get you what you need. Cost will be PENNIES.

Parts: CD jewel case (the old "thicker" type like this):

Also need 2 bolts with their corresponding washers (optional) and nuts. I used the washer since I am afraid the plastic may crack using the nut alone. However, it probably makes no difference. The "angle brackets" are just small plastic ones used in IKEA furniture to hold up shelves.

Parts laid out look like this:

Close-up showing the parts you need:

The only "WORK" required is drilling 2 holes, somewhere near the edge of the case. Be careful here not to crack it. You may have to start with a smaller "pilot" hole and then open up with 1 or 2 larger drills until you are larger than your bolt diameter. I lined up the hole so my 90-degree angle-bracket fits perfectly to touch the side and bottom edges when I connect it all.

Here is the bolt/bracket/washer/nut assembled but not yet tightened, so you see the order they go in.

Another shot from behind....

Hope that helps!!!!

(I've attached and embedded the photos in this post)
    Last edited by edyb; 06-02-12 at 11:09 AM. Reason: added embedded images
    06-01-12 09:25 PM
    I can't figure out how to embed my photos in the post for non-logged in users to see. Someone please help!!!
    06-02-12 08:26 AM
    Hey, that's amazing.
    Appreciate your innovation. Once I create mine, will try selling it on ebay..
    06-02-12 08:50 AM
    Rubber caps on the end of the bolts would be a good idea too so you don't scratch any surfaces.
    06-02-12 08:51 AM
    Rubber caps! Nice idea! Would prevent scratching up the table, you are right. Oh yeah, I figured out how to embed the photos so people who aren't logged in to crackberry can still see them (using tinypic.com to upload them and link to).
    06-02-12 11:10 AM
    Good creative ideas.

FYI - The Dollarama (dollar store) sell strurdy, black wire framed tablet stands for.....

wait for it......

$1.00
    Mr_Bunny and Cracklen like this.
    06-02-12 11:18 AM
    Yes, I know there are LOTS of Dollar store items that will also work. But the FUN is in the CHASE, not the PRIZE.
    pmccartney and Cracklen like this.
    06-02-12 03:11 PM
    I can't figure out how to embed my photos in the post for non-logged in users to see. Someone please help!!!
    ImageShack it's free, then post a link.

ImageShack� - Online Photo and Video Hosting
    06-03-12 12:21 AM
33 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD